GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,524 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Dinosaur Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Venture capital? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Eckstein
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What’s the deal with Venture Capital? They skipped it in the video tutorial, there’s no mention in any FAQ or rule book. I would assume you can play 1-3 workers there for some value, but wish there was some clarity there.

Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
Japan
Okazaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoopSnookems wrote:
What’s the deal with Venture Capital? They skipped it in the video tutorial, there’s no mention in any FAQ or rule book. I would assume you can play 1-3 workers there for some value, but wish there was some clarity there.

Anyone?

What isn’t clear? You receive $3 for the first worker placed, $2 for the second, and $1 for the third. Once those 3 spots are filled you can’t do it anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Eckstein
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I very easily could have missed it, but do the rules ever acknowledge it? That’s what wasn’t clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
Japan
Okazaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoopSnookems wrote:
I very easily could have missed it, but do the rules ever acknowledge it? That’s what wasn’t clear to me.

It’s not specifically mentioned, no, but all the information you need is on the board. The other options are gone over in detail as there is more going on with them, adding tiles to the boards, upgrading security, etc. The other available upgrade tiles are also not directly addressed in the rule book, but if you have questions about them I can add them to the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Eckstein
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Wasn't trying to be difficult, just normally every other tile has text explaining the action and a spot for a Worker to sit in to make the action work. This didn't, and while I've played other worker placement games, the fact that it was seemingly ignored seemed strange!

Just as a further clarification, if you get the lab upgrade that allows you to duplicate a lab action, how does that work with Venture Capital?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
Japan
Okazaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoopSnookems wrote:
Thanks. Wasn't trying to be difficult, just normally every other tile has text explaining the action and a spot for a Worker to sit in to make the action work. This didn't, and while I've played other worker placement games, the fact that it was seemingly ignored seemed strange!

Just as a further clarification, if you get the lab upgrade that allows you to duplicate a lab action, how does that work with Venture Capital?

I think you’re talking about the “Duplication Chamber” upgrade. You’d place 2 meeples on this space, and then you could copy the action of any other space in your lab. So you could place 2 meeples there to copy the $3 space of “venture capitalist” even if its $3 space was already taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Eckstein
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was! Great, okay we played that correctly. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lawrence gaydos
United States
midwest
flag msg tools
mbmb
I has the same question. It wasn’t that obvious. I questioned if you had to start with one or three or it doesn’t matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
Japan
Okazaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
louman333 wrote:
I has the same question. It wasn’t that obvious. I questioned if you had to start with one or three or it doesn’t matter.

Order doesn't matter, but you'd probably get the most out of the higher values first, diminishing returns and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
louman333 wrote:

You're right that it's not spelled out in the rules, but that's because it's not an exception to the rule. Venture Capital works the same as any other lab tile: you can place workers on the worker slots in any order.

As others mentioned, of course you'll use the $3 slot, then $2 slot, then $1 slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.