Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johniel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Hello fellow BGG'ers!

I recently purchased TtR:NC and finally had a chance to play it tonight. During our game, we got a bit confused by the possibility of a "play" for a ferry route. I've read several of the threads regarding ferries posted here, but I'm still confused. It seems that the answer is "yes, I can do the following", but I wanted to make double sure.

The play in question is regarding the ferry route between Honningsvag and Tromso, which is a four train route with two locomotive icons and two pink spaces. Regretfully the pink gods were against me tonight and in my hand I had two locomotives, one pink card and too many cards of other colors, which means I could easily do the "three card for a loco" swap.

So the question is this, could I basically play three cards for the first locomotive space, play the two locomotives to fulfill the second locomotive as well as the first pink and finally the pink card for the last required pink?

Reading the other threads it seems that the answer is yes, because it doesn't seem to state anywhere that you MUST use a locomotive card to fulfill the locomotive requirement if available. It also seems that the rules are vague enough to allow for the above play. Even, reading Alan's official reply seems to also suggest the above is valid.

What say you? Thanks in advance!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that is a valid move. While not explicitly stated by the rules it is heavily implied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mogust wrote:
Yes that is a valid move. While not explicitly stated by the rules it is heavily implied.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But many of us have house-ruled it the other way -- you may not use locs to substitute for solid colours on lines where you are also using 3 cards to substitute for locs.

The first edition rules of this game had a problem in that the Swedish, Finnish, Danish and Norwegian rules did not quite agree. Whether this was a legal move was strongly implied to be 'yes' in one version and 'no' in another. When the English rules came out there was some adjusting, and now I think 'strongly implied to be yes' is common to all language variants. But by this time, some of us have learned to like it the other way.

When you allow this, building in Norway becomes significantly more attractive than if you do not. This we considered a plus, but the downside is that any of the 2-length routes can be built with somebody with a loc-and-3-others. For our fun, we find that undesirable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
But many of us have house-ruled it the other way -- you may not use locs to substitute for solid colours on lines where you are also using 3 cards to substitute for locs.

The first edition rules of this game had a problem in that the Swedish, Finnish, Danish and Norwegian rules did not quite agree. Whether this was a legal move was strongly implied to be 'yes' in one version and 'no' in another. When the English rules came out there was some adjusting, and now I think 'strongly implied to be yes' is common to all language variants. But by this time, some of us have learned to like it the other way.

When you allow this, building in Norway becomes significantly more attractive than if you do not. This we considered a plus, but the downside is that any of the 2-length routes can be built with somebody with a loc-and-3-others. For our fun, we find that undesirable.

Just to clarify: do you mean that the rules have been re-worded in those four languages too? (I have a copy with copyright 2004-2007 and rules only in Swedish, Norwegian and Danish. Those rules seem consistent, but have a wording that could, theoretically, be interpreted as if only 1 locomotive can be exchanged with any three cards.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johniel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you all for the confirmation! :-) I agree, it does make it "easier" to complete those routes. But, if the alternative is me basically losing because the right cards don't come up after 15+ turns, I'll take the "easy route".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Micevski
Australia
flag msg tools
I am a bit lost. Why would you pay two locomotives to fulfil that one locomotive spot?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SER BARRISTAN SELMY wrote:
I am a bit lost. Why would you pay two locomotives to fulfil that one locomotive spot?

Cheers

Nobody would. The questioner wanted to do this:

Locomotive space – 3 mixed cards
Locomotive space – locomotive card
Coloured space – locomotive card
Coloured space – coloured card

Most people (at least I) claim that it's allowed. Some people do not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Micevski
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply

The way you wrote it out makes more sense then they way the original poster described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.