Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our first game, and I was surprised how many buildings and crates we went through. But I have no frame of reference, so I thought I'd check with everyone else. We had 6 players.

Here's what we got done:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Crates Opened : 10
Buildings built: 14
Top score: 30

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naturally, the more players you have the more buildings that will get built & crates will get opened, but it is also dependent on how focused the players are on doing these things. I did find in my second solo campaign (where I used 5 automa compared to 2 from my first) that I opened up a lot more in the initial game (even on a per player basis), but I put a lot of focus in that direction.

Based off your stats, it works out to be an average of 2 crates and buildings per player, which isn't unreasonable but does require quite a bit of effort - you start with the resources to open the first crate straight away, you just need to collect 4 additional coins and 8 resources for the remaining actions, plus probably 2 iron/coal to get that money. Some things that you unlock will make doing that a lot easier, esp if the corresponding buildings are unlocked.

For reference, the scores ranged from 22 to 33, and some charters finished with 3 buildings, and the corresponding crates unlocked. If you focus on one tech route you will get some stuff quite quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not abnormal, but please keep in mind that players control the pace of the game and of the village's development (this is noted on the rule about unlocking crates). If you feel like stuff is being unlocked and built too quickly, maybe focus more getting points from all the other things you can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense, Jamey. I think this particular group was focused on unlocking crates and building buildings because it seemed like the fast track to getting ahead.

In the end most of our scores were fairly closely clustered, with only one player lagging behind. Interestingly, she was the one who'd built and unlocked the least, but she also was the only one with no tokens on the reputation track, so I think that made a big difference too.

I was just surprised about how much new content got added to the first game by unlocking crates, with minions, items, and some other new stuff all coming out toward the end, resulting in a lot of new stuff thrown at us but no real time to absorb or take advantage of them.

I think next game, and if I ever start another campaign, I'll make sure the players know that while unlocking that first crate is important, after that it's not necessarily the "best" way to go, just one of multiple paths. For example, I think there was only a single token on the quota grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game today (3P) and we built 5 buildings I believe? My daughter did 2 buildings, I did 2 buildings (my last one I built so I could get on the reputation track as I messed up taking the point from the thingy vs a rep) and my husband built 1 building. For crates we opened 1 each I think? Final scores were 48-41-39. My 11 yr old daughter was lagging for most of the game BUT she scored 1st place on the reputation track and built 2 buildings to close the gap I think it just took her a bit to catch on to the point aspect.

She's use to playing games with me like Caverna, ACBAS etc that you need to collect resources to do things (you do here, but she mis-judged how quickly the game could end), so she spent several turns just gaining resources as she was excited to build her buildings and then spent a few turns gaining money for an objective to get points.

We gained points from building, reputation and since we had an objective for 3 influence on the thingy/place my husband I were both vying for that as well which earned us points as well as getting assistants that gave us points for going to places that we were going to a lot as part of our strategies.

I feel a bit at a disadvantage for game 2 as my husband has all 6 resources that he got to carry over, my daughter has 7 money (a result of saving up for that objective) and I have 1 resource, zero money and even turned in my assistant to get my 3rd influence for the objective. I will have a couple of turns to gain stuff again while both of them will be able to something perhaps more meaningful right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dr
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some notes from our first game (6 players), with info that might still spoil you if you have finished only game 1:

Didn't count how many crates or buildings overall were built. One player built no buildings (and still hasn't built any after game 2), all others built 1-2 buildings. The more interesting thing, now that I've read posts from other groups here, is that we didn't unlock any new advancement cards during game 1 so we started game 2 with an empty advancement board. During game 2 we unlocked friends pretty early, then minions and ?blueprints? or something like that later.

In our first game one player built a building that yielded reputation, and once that was built we all rushed it over and over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.