Subject: Return of Knizia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ChToHe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quest for El Dorado is just Knizia at his best....again.

The game is simple yet with great depth. Also, just like Knizia's many other designs, the winner is not the player that accrued the most Victory Points. More importantly, it feels fresh and not a rethread.

With El Dorado on the heels of Orongo, which I happen to think is a very good, if not excellent Knizia design, is our good doctor back?

What is his next design?

If he is three for three, then I am ready to proclaim his return!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Some think he never left, the hobby just evolved “heavy”.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChToHe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is also true that in the past several years, he has focused more on kids games and also reimagining his previous designs. Not that I would criticize his focus, but apart from a few scattered games, most didn’t feel all that fresh. Quest is his first design besides Orongo that I felt energinized in playing.

That said, he has designed enough to keep me occupied for a lifetime!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice to see Orongo getting some love :)
While that and El Dorado could be his best most recent games, he has released others that just haven't come out of Europe. Yangtze and Amphipolis come to mind.
If you look at his BGG designer page and sort games by year, 17 designs came out this year alone, but yes many are kids games and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChToHe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, some of those never made to the global marketplace.

I wish we could ask Knizia to take on certain mechanics, like Rosenberg's worker placement or Feldian point salad Just to see how he would tweak it. I thought his changes to deck building for a race game was quite profound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
huffa2 wrote:
Yangtze and Amphipolis come to mind.

I must find Amphipolis - I've never seen it. Yangtze was quite good! I'm also really enjoying Voodoo Prince, which just came out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I like Quest for El Dorado quite a bit, it is not Knizia at his best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChToHe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's his best most recent output. Maybe past 5-8 years.

I am curious about Yangtze but amphipolis sounds underwhelming among my Knizian geek buddies. Not sure worthwhile to pick up. Alas Voodoo Prince is a trick taking game... not my cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
huffa2 wrote:
Yangtze and Amphipolis come to mind.

I must find Amphipolis - I've never seen it. Yangtze was quite good! I'm also really enjoying Voodoo Prince, which just came out.

Voodoo Prince does look good. My brother has Amphipolis in the local MT, if it doesn't trade I could let him know you are interested, Doug :) I liked it but quite overproduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.