Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – The Force Awakens Core Set» Forums » General

Subject: Which Expansion?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bianca Summers
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My husband and I own the Force awakens set. We just played it for the first time the other day and had a blast. I wanted to get my husband some of the expansions so we could have bigger armies. Which ones would you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cleverley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite new to X Wing myself so while I can't speak from experience, I've asked similar questions myself and here's what I've been recommended:

Original Core Set
I actually own one FA set and one of the original core sets. Okay you are only getting another X Wing and Tie's (not a bad thing!) but you're getting different cards, pilots etc. Plus who can knock an additional set of markers and tokens? That being said, I hear the FA set has the "better" damage deck so I've been advised to use that one over the original.

Rebel/Imperial Aces Packs
You get a couple of ships in each of these packs to expand your forces. I've seen them on sale from time to time but don't appear to be readily available.

If you start there that should give you a decent selection for casual play. I'm sure some X Wings experts can advise further!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look closely, expansions that are set in the current "Force Awakens" trilogy have a blue logo on the box. Most of the expansions have a red logo.

So, there are only a few expansions set in the current movies so far. The Falcon, Po's Xwing, FO special forces TIE fighter.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Bsiler0825 wrote:
My husband and I own the Force awakens set. We just played it for the first time the other day and had a blast. I wanted to get my husband some of the expansions so we could have bigger armies. Which ones would you recommend?

The basic rule is this: buy the ships that interest you. They are all fun and all come with great and useful upgrades. So if you want to field Darth Vader, get the TIE Advanced expansion. If you are a fan of Rey or Poe, get the Heroes of the Resistance expansion.

If I had to pick one favorite expansion, it would be Imperial Aces. It comes with the scenario "cutting the cord" which is a blast. Many of the earlier waves come with really fun scenarios.

And a warning: I bought the same core for my nephews two years ago. I currently own 2-3 copies of each expansion. The game is a blast and addictive to the 9th degree. So be careful out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Grimley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The falcon and Bobba Fet's slave 1 are great. Famous ships and both nice add-on which canoppose each other for balance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.