13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Your favorite engine builders? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Persson
Denmark
flag msg tools
I recently realized that I quite like engine building as a mechanic with games like Scythe and Splendor. Now I did find some other threads where people posted their top engine builders, but they were all a bit dated, so I thought I would make a new one

Could you recommend me your favorite engine builders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like quite a few engine builders as well. Some of my favorites:

-Puerto Rico: Fantastic game. Role selection with engine building.
-Race for the Galaxy: Basically Puerto Rico the card game but in space. People complain about the iconography, but I honestly don't think it's much worse than 7 Wonders (which I see you own)
-Le Havre: A bit more involved than the other two, but an absolutely fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Petersburg

Terraforming Mars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deus
Homesteaders
Hansa Teutonica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
1889: History of Shikoku Railways(or any other 18xx)
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
Puerto Rico
Race for the Galaxy
Deus
Agricola
Outpost
Concordia
Nippon
Glory to Rome
Antiquity
Roads & Boats

All great engine builders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal McClatchey
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders Duel is fantastic. Build resources to acquire more cards and build wonders. It is only 2 player.

7 Wonders plays surprisingly different than Duel. But still a great engine builder. Up to 7 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Engine building is my favorite mechanic.

My favorite engine builders:

Roads & Boats
Fields of Arle
Terraforming Mars
San Juan (Second Edition)
La Granja
Oh My Goods!

Others worth checking out:

Patchwork
Steampunk Rally
The Colonists
Steam Works
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Port Royal as a light engine builder. It has an advantage of playing well but differently at every player count.

Tiny Epic Galaxies is good, particularly with Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black and the two mini expansions.

I also like Villages of Valeria: Deluxe Kickstarter Edition with more than two players. I think that if you just had the base game without the expansions it wouldn't have enough variability needed for an extended replay life.

Puerto Rico has already been mentioned.

There is some amount of engine building in Viticulture Essential Edition which is a double edged sword since you can get caught up in engine building when you need to be filling orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is the only engine builder anyone needs. Every game offers different elements from to figure out which ones will make for the best engine. Every game a new puzzle to solve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Dominion is the only engine builder anyone needs. Every game offers different elements from to figure out which ones will make for the best engine. Every game a new puzzle to solve.

I sort of agree with Rahdo in that Dominion isn't really an ideal engine builder because your engine isn't actually all that reliable.

Looking through my top games I don't really have many strong engine builders. Both ZhanGuo and Signorie are excellent games that should fit the type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I find that engine builders on their own tend to shoehorn into exponential gameplay (better engine allows more resources to build even better engine). Snowball games are not fun if you roll the smallest snowball all the time.

I do however like it when combined with other euro mechanics and the engine is a less prominent component.

Puerto Rico has the role selection element to balance it.

One of my favorite games, of all categories, is Dungeon Lords. While primarily a worker placement game it has some engine elements to it as well. Your dungeon is the "engine" and it both opens up new worker options and allow you to handle various types of adventurers depending on how you build and populate it.
Certainly in the heavy category with a lot of things going on, but it has a nice way of keeping all players engaged throughout the game and it is very hard to win by a perfect play as the choices quickly adds up to a spoiled plan.
Of course it does not hurt that it is very thematic and beautifully made. With all the cardboard, tokens, boards, decks, and stuff it feels like a "proper" board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radu Stanculescu
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of my top 50 games are engine builders, including:

- Terra Mystica: really long term strategy where you have to time everything well to not only get resources but also score points depending on what is valued each round. Variable setup and variable player powers make this very replayable.
- Terraforming Mars
- La Granja
- Agricola
- Concordia
- Nations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite engine-builders:

The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire
Lorenzo il Magnifico
Macao
At the Gates of Loyang
Puerto Rico
Steam Time
Deus
Steam Works
Elysium
Steampunk Rally

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.