Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Ticket to Ride» Forums » General

Subject: 1910 expansion causes everyone to draw a ton of tickets at the end? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher J
msg tools
It seems like everyone draws a ton of tickets at the end in big cities or mega variants round after round if they completed a route across the map (especially big cities).

Often, it seems like you can pickup tickets you already completed on each draw.

Is there anything you can do to stop this??? Drawing tickets should be risky, but now people constantly draw tickets for several rounds in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about 1910, but it is true in Big Cities Europe. It is kind of a necessary part of effectively shrinking the map down by reducing the city count. It can go horribly wrong though. And if you want to increase the risk, try blockading one of the ticket cities.

I haven't seen it so much in Mega Europe.

However compared to Switzerland, it is a minor problem. Actually thinking of Switzerland, they minimise the ticket draw by discarding rejected tickets rather than putting them at the bottom of the draw pile. It means tickets run out. you could try that if it bothers you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
That can happen in 1910, but it's not a problem because you can play all your trains quickly to prevent people from drawing a bunch at the end. Those are the two main strategies, lots of tickets vs. playing quickly and getting nice board points, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play the 1910 Megagame my wife always spends her last few turns grabbing tickets, after building one long coast to coast route during the rest of the game. It usually pays off for her, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By my estimation, if a player is able to connect 3 of the 4 major cities (LA, NY, Chicago & Houston) you are more likely to grab a ticket you already have. It’s still a risk otherwise. If you want to stop it, don’t keep grabbing tickets yourself and spend some time blocking key routes after you complete your initial routes... I don’t particularly care to play that style, but it would be effective in thwarting the end turn ticket grab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
jernchr11 wrote:
It seems like everyone draws a ton of tickets at the end in big cities or mega variants round after round if they completed a route across the map (especially big cities).

Often, it seems like you can pickup tickets you already completed on each draw.

Is there anything you can do to stop this??? Drawing tickets should be risky, but now people constantly draw tickets for several rounds in a row.

My wife does this when we play Mega as well. But when we play Big Cities she isn't always quiet as luck if you are blocking at all. Otherwise Mega often turn out that way toward the end game.

Or you could add Alvin and Dexter laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Quinonez
United States
Woodland Hills
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing 1910 Classic instead of 1910 Mega makes this less of a problem, if you consider it a problem.

But yeah, either rush to finish game early or draw tickets at end is how most games seem to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.