Gregg Cleland
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
It's nice to see the BoB forum so active. I've just this weekend started to get into it properly and have been going through the training scenario and some YouTube tutorials.

One question that has just arisen: In the scenario I'm playing right now, a German and a Russian unit were in melee and the result of the melee dice rolls was that neither side got eliminated, so after the Recovery phase the next turn starts and there's a Russian and German unit in the same hex.

The only reference to this situation that I've found is in the 5.2 Declared Retreat rules stating that there's no Declared Retreat morale bonus for a unit in this situation.

So, what might "usually" happen?
1. Can a unit just move out of a melee situation? I guess it would then be subject to Op Fire from the unit it was with (as well as any other as usual).
2. Neither can fire out of the hex and by staying together they're setting themselves up for another rout/melee so if that was the desire of both sides, they would be marked as "Used" without doing anything (chose not to move, can't fire and Op Fire must be invalid since they can't fire out of the hex).
3. Maybe another unit of each side moves into the hex during the turn.
2. If both units stay in the same hex then the rout and melee rules will kick in again at the end of the turn.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingNutcase wrote:
So, what might "usually" happen?
1. Can a unit just move out of a melee situation? I guess it would then be subject to Op Fire from the unit it was with (as well as any other as usual).
2. Neither can fire out of the hex and by staying together they're setting themselves up for another rout/melee so if that was the desire of both sides, they would be marked as "Used" without doing anything (chose not to move, can't fire and Op Fire must be invalid since they can't fire out of the hex).
3. Maybe another unit of each side moves into the hex during the turn.
2. If both units stay in the same hex then the rout and melee rules will kick in again at the end of the turn.

Does that sound about right?

FWIW the rules are not 100% fresh in my memory, but that all sounds about right to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolland Beach
United States
Viroqua
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5.0 MOVEMENT...end of paragraph 4: "Units that start in the same hex as an enemy unit may attempt to move out of it if otherwise able, but their Morale is reduced by 3. If successful, they may move normally, but may not move into a hex with another enemy unit in that move."

This is clarify the OP's point #1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Cleland
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Indeed, right there in plain sight [blush]. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.