Pandemic: Rising Tide» Forums » General

Subject: Oost West, Thuis Best? Different motto possiblities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vand Lys
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
One of the first things I thought when I played Pandemic Rising Tide at Spiel in Essen this year (2017), I thought to myself what an odd choice 'Oost West, Thuis Best' is for the game. I mean, it's homely and maybe a bit cute, so I get it, sort of..
Pandemic Rising Tide caters to all Dutch stereotypes, putting a windmill and tulips on the cover, putting tulips on each page of the manual, and using a colour that's very similar to Delftware.

So, why use 'Oost West, Thuis Best' (Home is where the heart is/lies, or literally, East West, Home Best), instead of the typical Dutch saying which connects to all aspects of the game:

Pompen of verzuipen (to pump or to drown)

Or
Dweilen met de kraan open (mopping up while the tap 's running)
Fundere aquas in mare (carrying water to the sea)

In my opinion some missed chances here... What do you guys think? : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvet Veltkamp
Netherlands
1093HC Amsterdam
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vandlys wrote:

Pompen of verzuipen (to pump or to drown)

Perfect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or Zeelands motto: Luctor et Emergo (I struggle and emerge).

But it won’t stop me from getting the game after Christmas if it isn’t under the tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vand Lys
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I thought about including that one, but since it's specific to a certain region I would rule it out for that reason already. The fact that it's Latin is a second reason, but not one I rule it out for.

And I have the same opinion. If this is all we have to complain about, it's a seriously good game : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vandlys wrote:

And I have the same opinion. If this is all we have to complain about, it's a seriously good game : )

Having played it (I made sure it was under the tree for my wife), I think it can end up being my favourite. The water flow feels very natural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.