United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So some scenarios such as
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Devourer Below
offer a "Resign" action, and, according to my understanding, an ability for investigators to quit a mission without being defeated(as per p.17 of Rules Reference).

However, for the above scenario it says that 'surviving investigators' who resigned are killed in the resolution section. Then, back on page 4 of the Night of the Zealout campaign booklet it says that investigators continue in the campaign "unless the scenario resolution states that surviving investigator is killed or driven insane"...meaning to me that the campaign is over...that investigator is truly finished.

So here was the turn of events as I understand them:
-I resigned from the scenario.
-The scenario outcome stated that all surviving investigators are killed(I assume I [temporarily] survived since I resigned?).
-Killed investigators are more than just defeated, they are permanently dead.

So my question is...What was gained in taking the Resign option?(or am I still misunderstanding something)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't know what was going to happen when you chose to resign. Turns out, it didn't help.

When you're fighting something this nasty, you're certainly free to turn and walk away! However, that might not save you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would put the scenario which you're spoilering into the thread title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From a purely mechanical standpoint: suppose you're playing a 2-player game with the intention of continuing on to another campaign after Night of the Zealot (or, indeed, maybe you're playing another scenario with the same effect which is mid-campaign). Your partner is doing pretty well and close to achieving the goal, without needing any further assistance from you, but you've taken a lot of damage, and if you stick around, you're going to be defeated. If you resign now, your partner can win the scenario and you can both go on to the next scenario/campaign good to go - but if you stick around and fight, you'll be defeated and take trauma for future scenarios.

But more importantly, I'd argue, is the thematic standpoint: which is, yes, you have the chance to run and flee. Do you think, given where you've got to, that it's a good idea? What's going to happen, from a story perspective, if the investigators turn and run at the last moment? But you do have that option...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So much of this game is the story, not the winning or losing. In fact, there are rarely clear cut “winning” or “losing” resolutions in any of the scenarios. Just “better”, “bad”, and “less bad”.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Spaulding
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PenumbraPenguin wrote:
You didn't know what was going to happen when you chose to resign. Turns out, it didn't help.

When you're fighting something this nasty, you're certainly free to turn and walk away! However, that might not save you...
Yep, compare to the Midnight Masks scenario where there is a definite benefit for resigning.

Also sometimes Resign is the "correct" way to advance the story, e.g. there are some missions which you want to get in and get out to "win".

From a more mechanical standpoint, you don't draw cards from the encounter deck in the Mythos phase after you resign (or are defeated) so that can minimize the bad things that happen to everyone if you resign as opposed to continuing to limp forward (presuming the option is open to you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was gained? In this case, nothing. Sometimes resigning is the goal of a scenario, sometimes it's the only means of escape, sometimes it's fatal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate everyone's responses...I was thinking more 'mechanically' and less 'thematically' and I think I lost the spirit of the game in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pneuma08 wrote:
PenumbraPenguin wrote:

Yep, compare to the Midnight Masks scenario where there is a definite benefit for resigning.

Also sometimes Resign is the "correct" way to advance the story, e.g. there are some missions which you want to get in and get out to "win".

From a more mechanical standpoint, you don't draw cards from the encounter deck in the Mythos phase after you resign (or are defeated) so that can minimize the bad things that happen to everyone if you resign as opposed to continuing to limp forward (presuming the option is open to you).

What happens when you resign in Midnight Masks? You piqued my interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Giannis2 wrote:
pneuma08 wrote:
PenumbraPenguin wrote:

What happens when you resign in Midnight Masks? You piqued my interest!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
If everyone resigns (or is defeated) before the Agenda decks runs out, that's almost the only way to avoid "it is after midnight" which reduces your starting hand in The Devourer Below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.