Subject: Forge World Minotaur rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Hampton

Santa Ana
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I decided to treat myself to a minotaur, and it's my first forge world mini, and I was wondering if anyone has built it or just has experience with FW stuff. For starters, the pose is basically on one foot (hoof), and its not that big a hoof. If I put it on a base as indicated, is it going to hold up? It's leaning almost all the way over the side. When cutting it out, I've done everything but the base, and was wondering if anyone has some advice, and what I should use to mount it to the base.

Here's a link to the minotaur on FW.
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Blood-Bowl-Minotaur-2017
Thanks! And I'd love to hear about your experience putting this guy together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a similar problem with the Rat Ogre. I ended up having to buy a pinning set and put a metal rod into his foot to keep the model on the base.

Unfortunately, these forge world figures seem to be cheaper than the regular blood bowl figures, so be careful when drilling. The plastic will not hold up to much force. Hopefully they make normal quality versions of these figures going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgeworld miniatures are not plastic, but resin, which is a more brittle material. They are by no means cheap, however, as resin is the material with superior detail, but has the downside that it is more difficult to work with (and more expensive, too). This also means that you cannot glue them with regular plastic glue (polystyrene cement); use superglue.
A strong superglue or all-purpose glue should be enough to fasten it securely to the base, even by one foot. That said, it will definitely be stronger if you pin it. You only need a small hand drill for that – Games Workshop sells one – and a paper clip: drill a hold in the base, and another vertically through the foot and into the leg if you have space. Cut a piece of paper clip, glue it with superglue into the foot, and then glue the foot to the base with the other end of the paper clip piece going through the hole in the base, then cut off the paper clip piece if it protrudes from below the base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
in addition, you can use a little green stuff (modelling putty) between the foot and the base to make the joint VERY flush which ill allow the glue to work better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hultquist
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just put mine together tonight (I'm really behind assembling my Blood Bowl stuff), and I didn't have too much trouble. One thing I found was that my minotaur's hoof - the one that attaches to the base - was a little cupped, so I had to shave the bottom flat to maximize contact area. After that, he stuck just fine with ordinary superglue.

I did have one non-assembly question for all you Blood Bowl experts, though: is he to scale? Is he supposed to be that big? I put him next to some of the other big guys, and he's a LOT bigger than the ogre, and seems like if he was in a 'straightened up' pose, he'd be bigger than the troll, too. Back in the days of 2nd edition (what I was used to before getting back into BB last year), the ogre, troll, and minotaur were all pretty much the same size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in those days, miniatures were a lot more expensive to make, so larger minis were pretty much a no-go.

But he's a minotaur, he's supposed to be big.. 8)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.