Hide
9 Posts

Santorini» Forums » General

Subject: Question regarding 2 new promos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J H
msg tools
On the promo cards rules page on the Roxley website it says Eris is 3P,4P, and GF while Maenads is 3P and 4P. The pictures of the cards above this however says otherwise and the icons show completely different player compatibility. Is the website wrong or are the cards wrong? I want to order the promos but not if they arent printed right. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Grimes
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that all 4-player gods are also 3-player gods, with the exception of Aphrodite (not sure about the logic there). So this may be a subtle change in graphic design from "the upper left corner shows the legal player-counts" to "the upper left corner shows the max player-count". Also, notice that they don't print a 2-player symbol because all cards are permitted for 2-player games. This is just a guess on my part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maenads is supposed to be 3P. The power is written to be more interesting in that case (forcing an opponent to lose instead of merely winning).

Eris is not supposed to be 3P as she would make games not be fun (she could be forced to use her power often, and over-using her power isn't in her own interest).

Aphrodite isn't 3P because weird rules problems occur when you combine her with certain other pairs of powers. The requirements for 4P powers generally make them suitable for 3P games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mlvanbie wrote:
Maenads is supposed to be 3P. The power is written to be more interesting in that case (forcing an opponent to lose instead of merely winning).

Eris is not supposed to be 3P as she would make games not be fun (she could be forced to use her power often, and over-using her power isn't in her own interest).

Aphrodite isn't 3P because weird rules problems occur when you combine her with certain other pairs of powers. The requirements for 4P powers generally make them suitable for 3P games

So when my cards actually show up are the icons displayed on the corners correct or are they wrong based on the website description and/or your explanation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanial
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I just got my promo pack a couple of days ago, and Eris has the 4p icon and the Maenads have the 3p/4p icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jharris1288 wrote:
On the promo cards rules page on the Roxley website it says Eris is 3P,4P, and GF while Maenads is 3P and 4P. The pictures of the cards above this however says otherwise and the icons show completely different player compatibility. Is the website wrong or are the cards wrong? I want to order the promos but not if they arent printed right. Thanks

And as Nathanial pointed out, the physical printed cards differ from the web images and/or the web rules as well.

I just received my copy of the Santorini Promo Pack 2018 (six Underworld Promo God cards), and I am trying to print up a rules cheat sheet to put in the box. So, a little clarification would be handy.

For Eris we have:
Physical Card: 4-player, Golden Fleece.
Web Image: 4-player, Golden Fleece.
Web text: 3-player, 4-player, Golden Fleece.

For Maenads we have:
Physical Card: 3-player, 4-player, No Golden Fleece.
Web Image: 4-player, No Golden Fleece.
Web text: 3-player, 4-player, No Golden Fleece.

My guess is that the printed cards are correct. The Golden Fleece info seems to be correct in all locations as well.

mlvanbie wrote:

This confused me. Does this mean "Maenads is supposed to be 3P" *as well as* 4P? or just 3P?

mlvanbie wrote:

It seems clear then that the Eris printed card is correct.

I assume also that both Eris and Maenads, as well as the rest of the Underworld gang, are playable 2-player just like all the other God cards. Michael, or anyone, can you clear these points up for me? I'll upload the rules file once I get clarification.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the physical cards are correct. Eris for 3P is a matter of taste; she gets stronger when there is another set of pieces on the board.

The deluxe edition will give a (hopefully) final word on these issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
I believe that the physical cards are correct. Eris for 3P is a matter of taste; she gets stronger when there is another set of pieces on the board.

The deluxe edition will give a (hopefully) final word on these issues.

Great! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CavemanLogic wrote:
I just received my copy of the Santorini Promo Pack 2018 (six Underworld Promo God cards), and I am trying to print up a rules cheat sheet to put in the box.

In case you missed it, the file is up!

Underworld Promo Gods Rules v1.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.