Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lyle Rhodebeck
United States
Galena
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the other night and enjoyed the game. We ran into two different situations that we couldn't clarify in the rules:

1. When redeploying a ship that contains one, two or three coal cubes, do those cubes stay on the ship in its new deployment position? We played that they stayed on the ship.

2. When redeploying a ship with zero coal cubes, does it receive a new coal cube when it is redeployed? We played that it DID receive a new coal cube, since we did find in the rules that it is redeployed based on the original deployment rules.

Did we get both of these right? Thanks!

gamesgalore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, whichever way you ruled, you should have been consistent, which you weren't. Why did you use "the deployment rules" to grant a coal to an "empty" ship and not to either reduce the existing coal to 1 - or to add an extra coal (to a limit of 3) for a "coaled up" ship?

Personally, I believe that the coal is unaffected by redeployment. The reference to the deployment rules that the redeployment rules makes refers to the positional rules immediately above. Those rules make no mention of coal, coal is part of purchasing via the Shipyard action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
I would concur, receiving the coal (and captain) is done on purchase, not deploy. The shipyard card explanation in the rules makes this clear, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Rhodebeck
United States
Galena
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we were combining the "purchase ship" action with the "deploy" action. It is very clear that when you purchase a ship, you place a captain and a coal on the ship. We were considering the act of "deployment" to mean that when a ship comes on the board, it gets the coal...but this happens upon purchase.

So I think I now understand that redeploying does NOT change the coal status of the ship. If it is empty, it stays empty. If it was carrying coal, it continues to carry the coal.

Thanks for all the comments.

Lyle R.
gamesgalore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.