Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my simple storage solution to fit the Evolution Base Game + Flight + Climate + two extra Base Game Trait Sets + Promo Pack I, II, and III + Climate Playmat all into One. Single. Box!

I use the large Evolution 2nd Edition Base Game box to fit everything in. The smaller Flight, or Climate Conversion Kit (same size as Flight), boxes won't work for this. However, the Climate Stand-Alone box would probably work for this as well, as it seems to be the same size as the Evolution Base Game box, but I'm not certain as I don't own that version. If you own Evolution 3rd Edition (with the smaller box, and food screens instead of bags) and don't own Climate Stand-Alone, you are out of luck.

After pulling the plastic insert out, I place the 2nd Edition Watering Hole in the bottom, followed by the Species Boards on the right. Then I populate the bottom edge of the box with all the Trait Cards. Note that I decided to purchase two additional sets of Base Game Trait Cards directly from North Star Games. This allows me to play any of the three games without having to sort through over 100 Trait Cards before playing each game. Don't worry, they all fit just fine...unsleeved anyway.

So... 1) Promos go first. Gigantism was a Geek Store promo. Unstable DNA is from Promo Pack I. Sharp Teeth, and the rest of that stack, is from Promo Pack II. The last stack with Claws through Trample is from Promo Pack III. 2) Base Game Traits are second. I'll be unwrapping those cards next time we decide to play the Base Game by itself. 3) Flight Expansion Trait Cards are next. Ditto on the unwrapping here as well. Note that I put only about two-thirds of the cardboard Flight Trait Cards in here. The rest will go elsewhere in the box (see below). 4) The Climate Traits and Climate Event Cards come last.

I realized after I took the photos that the thicker, cardboard cards for the Flight Trait make great dividers. In the future, I will put one between the Promos and Base Game Traits, and one between the Base Game and Flight Traits.

Next I add the Climate wooden marker on the right, above the Species Boards. The Climate and Flight rulebooks go in next, followed by the new 3rd Edition of the Watering Hole (thank you Dominic for signing it for me!), with the Cliff Board from Flight on top.

Next comes the blue Flight Species Boards to the right, followed by the trait cubes below them, and food tokens above. I place the rolled up Climate Playmat at the top, and the Dino Player Boards from Promo Pack I on the left.

The six Plant Species Boards from Promo Pack III then go on top of the Flight Species Boards. I add the wooden Flight Start Token from Promo Pack II, and the plastic dinosaur replacement Start Token from Promo Pack I. The Promo Pack III Scenario Cards, with the last one-third of the cardboard Flight Trait Cards which wouldn't fit below, go in next.

Then come the food bags, including the Flight seventh food bag from Promo Pack II.

Then the Evolution Rulebook, with the Player Aids inside, goes on top.

Finally the lid. Notice that it closes completely!

The only things I didn't include in the box are the original wooden Dino Start Token (replaced by the Promo Pack I and II Start Tokens), the original Climate Track (replaced by the Climate Playmat), the original 2nd Edition Base Game Trait Cards (replaced by Climate Traits), and the 15 Coaster Trait Cards (which have no function in the game anyways). Other than that, this is the perfect storage solution for me!

And lucky you, I just noticed that the Gigantism Geek Store Promo, and Promo Packs I, II, and III are all currently available for sale (with limited quantities remaining):

Gigantism Geek Store Promo -- $5

Promo Pack I -- $20

Promo Pack II -- $30

Promo Pack III -- $35

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Now aleeve it all in premiums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sleeves of any sort will definitely alter your plan, but something tells me you were pretty good at Tetris! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
Yeah, sleeves of any sort will definitely alter your plan, but something tells me you were pretty good at Tetris! cool

I've never been a sleever, with the exception of my 1995 2nd edition of RoboRally, so I had to do some research... It seems your average sleeved card is about 1.75x the thickness of an unsleeved card (assuming 30MM cards and 22mm sleeves. Penny sleeves will be thinner, Premiums thicker obviously).

If I were to sleeve everything, I would probably just put all the Flight stuff (with it's set of Base Game Traits and probably the 3rd edition Watering Hole) back in the Flight Expansion box. That would leave plenty of room for Base Game Evolution + Climate + Promos + Climate Playmat in the big box.

Another change I made from the above images, is I put all three rulebooks together on top of everything. I placed the Flight and Climate smaller rulebooks in the center of the Base Game rulebook, and overlapped them by a bit with the player aids, to give the rules a bit more sturdiness inside the box, so they don't get damaged from sagging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CavemanLogic wrote:
Thud105 wrote:

I've never been a sleever, with the exception of my 1995 2nd edition of RoboRally, so I had to do some research... It seems your average sleeved card is about 1.75x the thickness of an unsleeved card (assuming 30MM cards and 22mm sleeves. Penny sleeves will be thinner, Premiums thicker obviously).

If I were to sleeve everything, I would probably just put all the Flight stuff (with it's set of Base Game Traits and probably the 3rd edition Watering Hole) back in the Flight Expansion box. That would leave plenty of room for Base Game Evolution + Climate + Promos + Climate Playmat in the big box.

Another change I made from the above images, is I put all three rulebooks together on top of everything. I placed the Flight and Climate smaller rulebooks in the center of the Base Game rulebook, and overlapped them by a bit with the player aids, to give the rules a bit more sturdiness inside the box, so they don't get damaged from sagging.

This is wicked! I too have a couple of extra base decks for the same purpose. I just don't have p Romo packs one or two, don't have the mat, and base is first edition. I have the Climate conversion kit, so the puzzle board.

Without the mat to take up space, I may need to put in some foam blocks or something. This will save much needed shelf space, if I can adapt it, shouldn't be too hard. Financial difficulties mean I can't just buy the mat, especially since the game doesn't see near the play I wish. Actually, I have played neither expansion yet. But that has a good deal to do with a v variety of other issues it would be better to explain on the blog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sarebear62 wrote:
This is wicked! I too have a couple of extra base decks for the same purpose. I just don't have p Romo packs one or two, don't have the mat, and base is first edition. I have the Climate conversion kit, so the puzzle board...Without the mat to take up space, I may need to put in some foam blocks or something. This will save much needed shelf space, if I can adapt it, shouldn't be too hard.

While I was putting together the image set above, I realized that I had both the Climate puzzle board and the Climate playmat in the box together. Once I removed the puzzle board, I was able to fit the Promo Pack I Dino Playing Boards in. So, since you have neither the Promo Pack I or the Climate playmat, you should be fine by fitting the Climate puzzle board in there (near where I have the Flight and Climate rulebooks in the images above).

I have seen other storage solutions here on the Geek that simply place the Climate Conversion Kit box inside the larger Base Game box. Maybe something like that would work well for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, I want that dino figure and I had no idea there were plant species boards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
Oh man, I want that dino figure and I had no idea there were plant species boards!

Yep, the three Promo Packs, while they don't get played all the time, do add some pretty cool components!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.