Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Star Saga» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about Reinforcement Points rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Sekela
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Can multiple figures stack at a Reinforcement Point? (i.e., can a second figure be placed at a RP when there is already a figure there?)

2) (This applies when using the Artificial Nexus.) Assuming figures cannot stack at a RP, if a Reinforcement card drawn for the Artificial Nexus and all RPs are occupied, what happens? Is there a penalty for not being able to place a Reinforcement?

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They wait behind each other and have to come on in order.

There is a nexus card that "Must have been a rat" that has a special action to select a minion waiting at a reinforcement point and move it to another.

Main Rules

"Reinforcements are placed off of the board, next to any Reinforcement Point counter. These minions are waiting. Waiting minions may move onto the board via the Reinforcement Points in subsequent turns. Until they are on the board, these minions may not make any Actions."


"If the Reinforcement Point a model is waiting at is blocked by another model, or has been deactivated, the model must remain waiting until it is able to enter the board."

In this case they can be brought on the board by Nexus activations.




Nexus Rules

"All reinforcements are placed in wait at the closest active, empty Reinforcement Point to the Target Mercenary."

I read this as the first is placed on the reinforcement point and subsequent ones in wait behind it. For the automation player it would seem queuing is implied,

Reinforcements are placed off of the board, next to any Reinforcement Point counter. These minions are waiting.

" Minions will always move off of Reinforcement Points if possible."

When on a reinforcement point if the minion is the nearest or farthest then it will act and enter , then then if one is waiting behind it, it will move onto it. That is how I am playing it solo.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Billups
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
What is your experience with the solo rules as a whole? I have played two solo games (Mission 1 and Mission 2 - not the tutuorials) and I found the solo rules make the gay way too easy. To the point of my team was blowing through the missions with a single team member taking a single wound. If you think about it, your team gets four activations and the Nexus only gets two with the occasional bonus depending on what cards are drawn. Not to mention that your teams are vastly more powerful than the beginning enemies.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've read through the solo rules multiple times. It seems like I would need to double, if not triple the number of Nexus activations to make the game challenging.

I think the rules are clear and specific as opposed to Dungeon Saga, they just don't seem to be very effective.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
xord wrote:
What is your experience with the solo rules as a whole? I have played two solo games (Mission 1 and Mission 2 - not the tutuorials) and I found the solo rules make the gay way too easy. To the point of my team was blowing through the missions with a single team member taking a single wound. If you think about it, your team gets four activations and the Nexus only gets two with the occasional bonus depending on what cards are drawn. Not to mention that your teams are vastly more powerful than the beginning enemies.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've read through the solo rules multiple times. It seems like I would need to double, if not triple the number of Nexus activations to make the game challenging.

I think the rules are clear and specific as opposed to Dungeon Saga, they just don't seem to be very effective.


Does not sound like that is a AI problem though. Might get slightly better results from human nexus from optimal card usage but he would still be up against the activation limits. AI at least gets to bring in bonus reinforcements if the board gets cleared out to much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn only the minions that are governed by activation limit any nexus characters activate as well, The number of activations increase as the missions progress and the AI cards have a lot of extra bonus activations for the automated nexus as well as special effects that give free actions, as well as Events that increase activation and reinforcem4nt values.


When playing the AI if there is an opportunity to shoot or assault from behind and pun in front take it rather than normal priorities. This would be a base priority in the same way as moving off reinforcement points and out of other nexus LOS.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Charlesworth
msg tools
The rules suggest that only the part of the board that the Mercenaries are on as far as the next closed door is laid out at a time.

There are some boards that have no Reinforcement Entry Points on the part of the board that will be laid out at a certain point. When this happens what happens to the Reinforcement Minions as they have nowhere to enter?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't see anything in the rules to imply reinforcements are "queued" off board at a spawn point. Would make it easier I think if there were such a rule. But it seems from the way it's written that they are just available in a group and the AI brings in whichever is worse.

Jerry, what makes you think they come "in order"?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Don't see anything in the rules to imply reinforcements are "queued" off board at a spawn point. Would make it easier I think if there were such a rule. But it seems from the way it's written that they are just available in a group and the AI brings in whichever is worse.

Jerry, what makes you think they come "in order"?


It's a British culture thing whenever asked to wait we always queue, its an unwritten rule, although a few will break it.


Quote:
Reinforcements are selected in descending order,
starting with the highest cost minion available, then
the second highest, and so on, until you reach the limit
on the card. If you reach the lowest cost minion and
haven’t used up the Reinforce value yet, start again
from the highest and work down again. If there are
multiple minions available of the same cost, the acting
Nexus must choose which is brought on.


and

Quote:
All reinforcements are placed in wait at the closest
active, empty Reinforcement Point to the Target Mercenary.


However

Unofficial FAQ question wrote:
Reinforcements: If multiple reinforcements are waiting at a point to enter do they form a queue or can the Nexus player choose
which order to bring them in?
Official Answer: The Nexus player is free to chose which model enters next from a active reinforcement point when multiple models are present.



Which is no help when playing AI Nexus

eriochrome wrote:
Yes, I read the rules as models lined up in order of arrival at the reinforcement point. Not explicit but based on wording of certain things but the author states that no any model waiting at the point can enter next. For Artifical Nexus the AI should bring on the highest cost minion.


An example how we British read waiting = queue.

Then there is the whole debate on reinforcement points blocked vs empty.

Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb


Who is a playtester/friend of Mantic seems to be the unoff9c9al spokesman but Many if don't have a presence on here to support us and although Brad is doing his bes6 its not the same as having a designer/developer response.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alan Charlesworth wrote:
The rules suggest that only the part of the board that the Mercenaries are on as far as the next closed door is laid out at a time.

There are some boards that have no Reinforcement Entry Points on the part of the board that will be laid out at a certain point. When this happens what happens to the Reinforcement Minions as they have nowhere to enter?


You cannot add reinforcements at that time. As a Nexus player you just do not spend cards that way. For Artifical nexus you just go through the motion to move the deck along but no reinforcements are actually placed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
Don't see anything in the rules to imply reinforcements are "queued" off board at a spawn point. Would make it easier I think if there were such a rule. But it seems from the way it's written that they are just available in a group and the AI brings in whichever is worse.

Jerry, what makes you think they come "in order"?


It's a British culture thing whenever asked to wait we always queue, its an unwritten rule, although a few will break it.


Quote:
Reinforcements are selected in descending order,
starting with the highest cost minion available, then
the second highest, and so on, until you reach the limit
on the card. If you reach the lowest cost minion and
haven’t used up the Reinforce value yet, start again
from the highest and work down again. If there are
multiple minions available of the same cost, the acting
Nexus must choose which is brought on.


and

Quote:
All reinforcements are placed in wait at the closest
active, empty Reinforcement Point to the Target Mercenary.


However

Unofficial FAQ question wrote:
Reinforcements: If multiple reinforcements are waiting at a point to enter do they form a queue or can the Nexus player choose
which order to bring them in?
Official Answer: The Nexus player is free to chose which model enters next from a active reinforcement point when multiple models are present.



Which is no help when playing AI Nexus

eriochrome wrote:
Yes, I read the rules as models lined up in order of arrival at the reinforcement point. Not explicit but based on wording of certain things but the author states that no any model waiting at the point can enter next. For Artifical Nexus the AI should bring on the highest cost minion.


An example how we British read waiting = queue.

Then there is the whole debate on reinforcement points blocked vs empty.

Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb


Who is a playtester/friend of Mantic seems to be the unoff9c9al spokesman but Many if don't have a presence on here to support us and although Brad is doing his bes6 its not the same as having a designer/developer response.


Mantic often uses freelance developers which means by the time the game is actually in the wild the developer is 3 games down the road and has not thought about it in ages. Star Saga was developed in house which is how I got the answer about no queuing directly from the developer but he is no longer with Mantic now.

For AI consider it an official errata:
"If more than 1 minion is available at the reinforcement point to enter, the artificial nexus will choose the highest cost minion, if tied in cost it will choose the minion with the most health from that group."

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.