Hide
10 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: A New Dawn» Forums » Variants

Subject: Simple automa attempt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Larock
msg tools
Taking inspiration from kerred's excellent automa variant (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1891297/automa-solitaire-ca...), I've been messing around with my own automa with the following things in mind.

I wanted to have a) the least management of the automa bits, b) get rid of managing the focus row was a priority, and c) having it be managed by something already happening every round - so i key off the event dial.

The automa will print onto a single sheet of paper in landscape, when you turn the event dial normally during a turn you process the barbarian bits then do the automa bits - but only when they matter - trade/spawn/blank normally, movement only in later game.

If it isn't stated on the sheet I've been following normal rules.

Caveats:
* I'm sure I've taken something for granted here and just done stuff cause it was in my head of how i wanted it to work and it's missing from the sheet.

* I'm still undecided myself on every 2/3/4 rounds for the tech level upgrade, tweak as you want for less/more competitive. When i originally played with 6 it stayed out of my way but still presented the feeling there was another civ out there that i could interact with (grab diplomacy cards from/barbs bothering it/taking up spaces/etc.)

PDF in the files section:
(https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/157066/skippylou-simple-a...)

Hope this adds some value for some of you solo players like me out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Wijnants
Belgium
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx. Will give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Wijnants
Belgium
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it. And was too easy. Automa did't reached the tech level 3 and I completed all my objectives. Maybe every time the dial reaches 2 times the trade token then advance the TL of the automa ?

Another queston. If the TL stated AV = 3 . You still have to roll a die for the attacker right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Larock
msg tools
Wow, didn't reach TL3 with 3 per upgrade, I either really suck or you are really good . But sure, as mentioned I think for most people messing around with 2/3/4 between the TL upgrade is the sweet spot that I've seen thus far.

Yes, I still roll for the automa, the AV is just the "base value" to account for "bonuses" the automa doesn't get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Rignell
Sweden
Örebro
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for making this automa. I used this last night for my first games.
I was wondering how to decide which of the two actions the bot takes when it uses Reinforce or Attack, and Build WW or City?
Is always the first of the two and if unable, use the second?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Larock
msg tools
I've been doing always the first (WW or Re) and if not, the second as you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Larock
msg tools
I've also been screwing around with an even simpler version of rules (fully ignoring the ones in the pdf), using only the following:

Event Dial:
* Trade Token: 2 per existing city (buy WW if possible)
* Movement: Roll to determine movement direction; attack barb/you if possible. Source terrain equals base attack value.
* Respawn: Roll die for # of tokens to deploy; roll another die for # of tokens to reinforce.

Traits:
* Highest value terrain first except when attacking you, then lowest.
* Reading order for breaking ties.
* WW: complete agenda/start agenda/highest value/random for tie.
* Once city is mature, add another city (using the highest terrain; reading order choosing).

I only gave this one play through thus far. I beat the automa 3-1 on agenda completion with it having almost what it needed to complete another agenda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
La Ro
msg tools
The even simpler one looks very interesting as well. One question:
What range did you allow the automata to have (for attacks, control tokens and city placement)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Larock
msg tools
Everything I did was directly adjacent, so attacks had to be next to it, control tokens were placed via # of die and then hardest terrains (reading order for ties).

The control tokens, etc. spread fairly easily so never actually considered a larger range but would be interested if you had ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
_lo-ol_
mbmbmb
Hi!

I'm not a huge fan of playing solo, but I was trying to re-learn the rules and used this Automa variant, which I liked for its simplicity.

I played with 'level' 3 and won the game easily (I mean we barely touched, and the Automa only reached Level 2), not that it matters, just for statistics.

For tracking the Automa Tech Level, I used the Tech Advance Dial of its color (staring pointing to level I) and when the dial landed on the trade, I placed a trade token near the Automa Tech Dial - when there was 3 I moved the Automa Tech Dial to indicate the next Tech Level (just a suggestion which I think makes it easy).

I was wondering if there are still any developments to it, both regarding the "process" and the document...(?)

Regarding teh document it would be nice to have some changes, icons, etc....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.