5 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion – Rise of the Empire» Forums » Strategy

Subject: No more Alderaan gambit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Ellis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I played the Rebellion boardgame with the Rise of the Empire expansion today and I tried for the first time the risky Alderaan strategy as the Rebels (basically you put the vital rebel base next to Coruscant and Corellia and hope you have the brass balls to go unnoticed till the mid game when you can pull a Victory card that lets you invade Coruscant and get lots of VP). Then I realised my error- the Rise of the Empire expansion has randomised Objective cards, and I wound up not getting Heart of the Empire! It wasnt in the deck for the Objective II cards!

I did manage to luckily get the 1 VP card for having 5 units adjacent to Coruscant, but has the randomness of Rise of the Empire now made the Alderaan base strategy too risky? It was already risky to begin with, but now its practically begging for detection by Imperial forces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the problems that David brought up in https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1846542/new-objective-syste...

essentially this a by product of not knowing what is in the objective decks.

Not only is it likely that the cards you want not be there, you really have no good way of planning more than 1 turn ahead (with infiltration).

Also since HotE is not in the deck 50% of the time, the empire can choose to almost ignore curoscant

It has been suggested that HotE like DSP should always in the deck, there are other suggestions in that thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Medley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's two points, possibly recurring. I don't think the Empire can ignore it entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
damedley wrote:
It's two points, possibly recurring. I don't think the Empire can ignore it entirely.

Yeah I agree. Even if it is in the deck on 50% of the time if it is and you don't allow for it then that can cost you the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools

To be honest, one should always take Alderaan fairly fast if you're playing as the Empire.

In the base game you know the Empire will have the Coruscant mission sooner or later so you just take Alderaan to prevent them from using Hidden Fleet and scoring points

In the expansion the chance of the rebels having either of the two missions is fairly large, same argument as above stands.

An experienced Empire player will subjugate Alderaan in the first few turns of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.