Hide
6 Posts

The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31» Forums » Rules

Subject: Obvious, but I cannot find the rule. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Pitre
msg tools
This SEEMS like an obvious thing - but what are the rules for re-using the discard deck of supply cards.

I am assuming that when you run out of supply cards you re-shuffle, and re-use them. But I am not seeing that written own anywhere.

(and apologies in advance if someone just points me to a page number - but I went through the pdf with 'find' and didn't see this anywhere...

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pitre
msg tools
Re: Obvious, but I cannot fine the rule.
Another point (I am playing through in advance of being the 'rules explainer' at Christmas).

Am I correct that in an 8 person game - there will ALWAYS be three things after the first assimilation? This would seem to be a game bug.

There are 8 players. There are 8 cards in the blood sample deck.
Thus ALL the cards are issued - and all the infected cards go out. I guess there is a 1/8 possibility that the infected card will go to the infected player - but that seems pretty slim odds.

The only way I can think of around this is to hand out the blood sample cards one at a time. Which I am dubious will work with a large group...

But otherwise - once the second sector is entered - its 7/8 you have three things. And if you get lucky the first time its 3/4 the second time.

Am I interpreting this all correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you must reshuffle the cards but I don’t know the exact page number. And yes there is a small possibility you will only have two Imitations after any assimilation. I’ve seen it happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pitre
msg tools
Bryan -
Thank you for the response... I have come to terms with the need for the game to work this way for balance. I tend to like a touch more chaos, but I think this will work.

Into the breach with the Christmas players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 in 8 games will have only 2 imitations after the 1st assimilation.
1 in 32 games will have 2 imitations for the entire games.

These probabilities aren't large but aren't too small either, I find it pretty nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had our first game the other night. It was only a 5 player game. Based on the way the blood samples are handed out our 1 player said that there is a 4% chance of there being only a single imitation come evacuation.

I should have noticed how many times he pointed this out, because it turns out he was the lone imitation for the entire game! We were all blown away. We had tagged him as an imitation pretty early into sector three. I was calling him out since mid 2 and when a reasonably trusted player got the flamethrower (the other was destroyed) we had a long debate, but the suspected imitation was outed. But there was so much mistrust between the rest of us as we "knew" there was a second among us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.