Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Pleased to announce that my copy of the game arrived yesterday (via GameSurplus in PA).

The rules state (p. 16) that ties for first or second on Santa's Inspection are friendly. The example deals with a situation where there is no tie for first but a tie for second. My question is: If there is a tie for first, are second place points still awarded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ferguson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi! Tech Tech VPI!
badge
Santa's Workshop - Coming from Rio Grande Games in 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:

The rules state (p. 16) that ties for first or second on Santa's Inspection are friendly. The example deals with a situation where there is no tie for first but a tie for second. My question is: If there is a tie for first, are second place points still awarded?

Yes! Santa is a very forgiving kind of guy. Everyone tied for 1st place gets 2 points per gift, AND everyone tied for 2nd place in number of gifts gets 1 point per gift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rush
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
<-Begin Nerd Mode-> (I.e., this post is for fun, and not to criticize anyone or to imply that anyone isn't being smart. I come across this same point often when talking about sporting events.)

*Technically*, if the numbers of cards are 5-5-4-4-3, then the two players with 5 are tied for first and the two players with 4 are tied for third. Having two people in front of you means that you are third, by definition. If this was an Olympic race, there would be two gold medals and two bronze medals awarded, and no silver medals. (I've seen that actually happen in the Olympics.) Therefore, we could say that all players tied with the most cards get two cookies per card, and all players tied with the second highest number of cards (not tied "for" second) get one cookie per card.

<-Nerd mode off->
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, if we're talking about precedents, I would note that the points scoring in another excellent game (CO 2) works exactly the same when awarded income for positions on the tech tracks: if there's a tie for first, second place points are awarded to whomever is next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.