Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be possible for anyone to recommend basic Vallejo or Wargames Foundry colors (I mostly have Vallejo and Wargames Foundry tri-color paints) to paint the British and German planes?

Maybe a simple combination of two colors for each plane please. (I want to paint them, but I do not want to put hours and hours into each plane.) For example, one color for the base color; the other color for the camouflage color.

Also, are there any specific colors for underneath the German or British planes? I have read gray-blue for German planes.

Finally, would it be wise to create different schemes for the different Luftlottes? For example German Gray for one Luftflotte; a green/gray-green scheme for another? RAF fighter group colors were standard among all fighter groups in 1940 - no?

Thank you.
WLM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick v. Nooij
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vallejo paint numbers:

Undersides:
The luftwaffe used RLM 65 (Vallejo AV71255), Hellgrau, I think is the blue-grey
The RAF had a lighter grey color during the BoB period; BS210 (AV71302) or even more beige for the spits (AV71009/BS216)
For simplicity I used the same blue-grey for the RAF.

Tops:
Most of the Luftwaffe bombers had a combination of camouflage colors consisting of Dark green (AV71021/RLM 71) and Black green (AV71015/RLM 70). I felt the contrast between the two was too small, so I went with an Olive green instead of Dark Green. For simplicity I used the same combo for the 109s.
For Yellow squadron noses: AV71078/RLM 04

For the RAF camouflage colors are AV71342/BS241 and AV71323/BS450

Historically there isn't much in variation for both the RAF or the Luftwaffe during the summer of 1940. You see some difference in nose cone colors. At least the Messerschmitts get some color on their engine cowling and rudder.

I cheated a bit by adding yellow color to the cowlings and tails/underside of the wing tips of the Luftwaffe bombers based on the 1941 identication markings for the Balkans and Invasion of Russia.
Something that could easily be used to identify different luftflotten, but. Though not historically accurate, it would make for easier identification during play.

I also painted up the Gladiator in the color of the Royal Navy ones based out of Orkney at the time. Just to have SOME variation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barks
Australia
Armidale
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Vallejo German Exterior Dark Green (VMC 70.896) and Fieldgrey (VMC 70830) for the Luftwaffe.

RAF were Russian Uniform (VMC 70924) and Army Painter Monster Brown [equivalent to VGC 72.062).

Pics of my planes are in the BGG Images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That is helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My understanding for BoB period.

Luftwaffe
=========

Hellblau (Light Blue) for under surfaces

Dunkelgrun (Dark Green) and Schwartzgun (Black Green) in a splinter camouflage for upper services

Vallejo

RAF
===

Sky (Often called Duck Egg Green or Duck Egg Blue) for under surfaces

Dark Green and Dark Earth for upper surfaces

The German and British colours for under surfaces were very different. Of course for a game you could use the same but that would be quite wrong. By the way, neither of them is grey, the Luftwaffe colour is a light blue whereas the RAF colour is a creamy colour with a greenish tint.

Earlier, the RAF used half black, half white for the under surfaces. That was being phased out by the time of the BoB but there would have still been some planes that had not been repainted.

Vallejo
009 or 302

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any pics of how you have painted them?

Thanks, Nigel.
Greg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick v. Nooij
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nheather wrote:

Earlier, the RAF used half black, half white for the under surfaces. That was being phased out by the time of the BoB but there would have still been some planes that had not been repainted.

I've seen the half black, half white undersides in photograph described as from April 1941, but I'm fairly certain that's a typo. Pretty sure by September 1940 most had been redone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mr_Flibble wrote:
nheather wrote:

I've seen the half black, half white undersides in photograph described as from April 1941, but I'm fairly certain that's a typo. Pretty sure by September 1940 most had been redone.

Looking into this further, the instruction to repaint the undersurfaces Sky was made in June 1940 though official paint supplies were not made available unti August 1940 and then it would have taken time to apply to all fighters.

In Nov 1940, Fighter Command reassessed their position and reinstated painting the port wing black but leaving the rest Sky rather than reverting back to white. This continued until April 1941 when Medium Sea Grey was introduced.

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I have been trying to paint the planes.

The British scheme works quite well. However, I am having trouble with the German camouflage scheme.

The Dunkelgrun RLM 71 71.015 is really a brownish-green. It does not seem to be the right color. Is it supposed to be that dark?

Yes, you are also right about the contrast between the Dunkelgrun and the Schwartzgrun RLM 70 71.021. It is a narrow difference in terms of contrast.

Would you please tell me what is the color scheme of the Luftwaffe fighters you have in the picture you provided? Those are not the colors I am seeing with my paints.

Also, I was wondering what was the olive color you suggested? Would you please provide me with the Vallejo numbers.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.