United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2018 Challenge: Play 10 Games 10 Times Each

This thread is to discuss the 2018 challenge, whether it's questions or you want to discuss progress, this is an open forum.

A big change from previous years: This is now a self-moderated challenge. When you complete the challenge, you may buy the MicroBadge. It will not be awarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
I think this should be automated instead of being a self-moderated challenge. There had been a thread about this very discussion before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the self moderation.

1) If someone buys the microbadge and hasn't done the challenge, who cares? It's kind of sad of them, and it doesn't affect others.

2) More importantly (to me), I don't track my plays on BGG and don't want to. I prefer to track in other ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds fine to me.

I'm in the process of certainly failing my 2017 hardcore challenge.

But I've already got 2018 written up and ready to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
A big change from previous years: This is now a self-moderated challenge. When you complete the challenge, you may buy the MicroBadge. It will not be awarded.
That's too bad because I just found out about challenges last year, but was working on 100x1.

Trying to figure out which games to do for hardcore is hard. I kinda want to do really involved brain burny games like Wizard's Academy, but don't know how often I will be able to get them to the table, so I can't include too many of those. I didn't want to include a bunch of Kickstarter games I don't have access to yet, so all but 1 I can at least play in an online implementation before they get here. I wanted to add some shorter games I could possibly play on workdays too.

I had to pick games I can play solo, otherwise I'd never get it done since my group is usually playing whatever new games they got.

If I end up downgrading, I can then add games I played not on the hardcore list, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish it was still an "offical" challenge with an awarded Microbadge, but I appreciate that the effort was too much for you, Sarah!

Fully handing it off to somebody else wasn't an option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:
I think this should be automated instead of being a self-moderated challenge. There had been a thread about this very discussion before.

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure what needs to happen, but I'm totally onboard with anything that is created to automate the challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
If I end up downgrading, I can then add games I played not on the hardcore list, right?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
I wish it was still an "offical" challenge with an awarded Microbadge, but I appreciate that the effort was too much for you, Sarah!

A lot of people wanted to help last year, but no one wanted to handle handing out MBs. So that's why I turned it to self-moderated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
Gswp wrote:

A lot of people wanted to help last year, but no one wanted to handle handing out MBs. So that's why I turned it to self-moderated.
What's even involved with that anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
Gswp wrote:

Yeah... I wouldn't have time for that either, so I definitely don't fault anybody for finding it too stressful.

It really would be best if the microbadge award could be automated for everybody who logs 10x10 plays on BGG in a year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Verifying the plays can be automated easily if everyone to creates their entries in a format that facilitates this and uses BGG to track plays. Getting everyone on the same page is always the hard part. Basically every entry would have to have an associated geek link so you can cross reference the game with a user's play stats. Handing out the badges based on this verification, I'm not sure how that works though.

I have no problems with it being self moderated. I'm joining the challenge to commit to playing some games I might otherwise struggle to get to the table. If I cheat and buy the badge and say I did it I've really only cheated myself out of some good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah, since new members won't necessarily have the geekgold to buy the microbadge, how about adding a sentence to the geeklist header that anybody who has completed the challenge, but can't afford the badge or has very little geekgold can post here, and then one of us will donate the gold?

(When I first did the challenge, I definitely had less than 8 geekgold. The badge was one of my very first badges, and the geekgold prize was my first somewhat sizeable amount.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wallis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m so excited for this!
I only joined BGG this year and love logging my plays so can’t wait. I’ve been thinking of my list, going to anticipate some games that are coming out that I want to play (one’s i’ve Kickstarted at least) and add them.

Good luck everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wallis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s a very kind suggestion. I’m one of those newbies and haven’t worked out how to go about getting geek gold yet, but hopefully I will soon and even if I don’t have enough by the time I (hopefully) complete the challenge I will save up for it.
I mainly use the site through my phone which is very fiddly, I think if I start using it on a desktop pc i’ll Probably get more used to al the options and work out how to be active enough to be worth any geekgold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Perry
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're worth it, buddy! Good luck on the challenge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wallis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, thanks! Good luck to you too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romy Cat

Mississippi
msg tools
Games bring people together.
badge
Games bring people together.
mbmbmbmbmb
Devilson wrote:
That’s a very kind suggestion. I’m one of those newbies and haven’t worked out how to go about getting geek gold yet, but hopefully I will soon and even if I don’t have enough by the time I (hopefully) complete the challenge I will save up for it.
I mainly use the site through my phone which is very fiddly, I think if I start using it on a desktop pc i’ll Probably get more used to al the options and work out how to be active enough to be worth any geekgold.

Best way to get Geek Gold quick is donate $15 to BGG during the fundraiser going on right now. You will get 1000 Gold in a few more days. And be supporting a great website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wallis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll be doing that regardless, this is one of my most used sites. Thanks for pointing it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
SilvaShado wrote:
Gswp wrote:

What's even involved with that anyway?

You have to go through every email that people send you. If you're lucky, people followed the instructions and sent you a link to their entry on the GL so you can see if they did Normal or Hardcore. You look to see if they indicated that they completed it, and that they have the comment with list for Hardcore.

Then you compile a list of who gets the Normal and Hardcore badges. The admins have a specific way you need to list them.

Then you email the admin who is helping.

While that doesn't seem like a lot of steps, what takes the most time is those who didn't follow instructions and so you have to search for their entry by their user name. Thankfully, GL can be view in a condensed list so you can do a word search on just a few pages.

The other overwhelming aspect is the volume of people doing the challenge.

At this point, I want to see how 2018 goes with it being self-moderated. And maybe they'll figure out how to automate it through the site to award the MB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
SilvaShado wrote:
Gswp wrote:

Yeah... I wouldn't have time for that either, so I definitely don't fault anybody for finding it too stressful.

It really would be best if the microbadge award could be automated for everybody who logs 10x10 plays on BGG in a year!

I would love it if they can automate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DorkPassenger wrote:
Verifying the plays can be automated easily if everyone to creates their entries in a format that facilitates this and uses BGG to track plays. Getting everyone on the same page is always the hard part. Basically every entry would have to have an associated geek link so you can cross reference the game with a user's play stats. Handing out the badges based on this verification, I'm not sure how that works though.

I have no problems with it being self moderated. I'm joining the challenge to commit to playing some games I might otherwise struggle to get to the table. If I cheat and buy the badge and say I did it I've really only cheated myself out of some good times.

The key phrase there is "if everyone" as in, a lot of people can't read instructions. Trust me on this. A large portion of my emails at the first part of the year are people who don't know how to do things. And then at the end of the year is the rest of the people who didn't bother to ask earlier in the year and so ended up doing something wrong.

Which is why I much prefer people to do this on their own and buy the MB. How to enter should not be a barrier to completing the challenge. All those people who didn't do the formatting right, still completed the challenge.

And I also agree that if someone buys the MB without completing the challenge, they only cheat themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Sarah, since new members won't necessarily have the geekgold to buy the microbadge, how about adding a sentence to the geeklist header that anybody who has completed the challenge, but can't afford the badge or has very little geekgold can post here, and then one of us will donate the gold?

(When I first did the challenge, I definitely had less than 8 geekgold. The badge was one of my very first badges, and the geekgold prize was my first somewhat sizeable amount.)

This is a fantastic idea! I will definitely add this to the header.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:

The other overwhelming aspect is the volume of people doing the challenge.

Hi Sarah
I will never forget the first time, when you had an idea and started this challenge.
Only a short while later we were all shocked amazed about the AMOUNT of geeks participating surprise

Very understandable that this is just too overwhelming.
I hope the self-moderation works well.

Good luck everyone and all the best to you Sarah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
http://cpc.cx/jEa Made in Savoie
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:

I doon't know how much of an issue is htat. It seems like BGG hands over 3 microbadge redeem code every years, so somebody succeeding the challenge and having no geekgold at all would still be able to redeem them.

Nice initiative though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.