Subject: Staying Alive Longer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Given that death is really really bad in a game like this, and the way you die is by running out the deck, it becomes vital to become good at slowing down your usage of the deck.

Here are some tips that I have found:

1) You want to be able to pull a success with the fewest cards drawn. Cull cards with few stars into your hand or inventory, to raise the average star count in the Action deck. Consider against removing cards that have a lot of stars, particularly if there's something similar in the deck that would allow you to keep more stars in the deck.
2) When you buy Advanced Skill cards, you're likely better to buy more cards than better cards, since it adds to the thickness of your Action Deck. Buy the cheap ones.
3) Always have Walking Stick and use it for any walk action of 2 or greater Action cost. (See #7 and #8)
4) Always have Learn by Doing and use it for any 0 star actions with 2 or greater Action cost.
5) Use Remember/Think to get Walking Stick and Learn by Doing back into your hand, regularly.
6) If you're prepping to hunt, make sure to get a Bola or something, so that you don't come back empty handed when it's time to catch a meal.
7) Do the math when you craft things on cost versus payout. If you're going to spend 4 cards to craft a Widget and the Widget gives you 1 star and 1 7 (which is like 0.1 stars) for an action, consider that the same four cards you spent crafting would have given you 2-3 stars for any arbitrary action you would have come across. Now you're getting 1.1 stars for 4 cards, and they're tied to a specific action.
8) Use your items. Don't save them for an emergency (unless you can foresee locked Actions). If you've done the math (see #7), then you've traded up and are getting more out of your items than you are from your deck. Take advantage of that fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
#s 7 & 8 are pretty profound. Don't know if I've seen anyone else on the forums put it quite that way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyp Ganner
Belgium
flag msg tools
I would add that you always need to have some food on you. Once you've eaten, you need to hunt again while you have lots of cards to spend.

It means the food is always taking a space in your inventory(ies), but it's a necessary guaranty. Waiting for the last moment to hunt is a sure death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganner wrote:
I would add that you always need to have some food on you. Once you've eaten, you need to hunt again while you have lots of cards to spend.

It means the food is always taking a space in your inventory(ies), but it's a necessary guaranty. Waiting for the last moment to hunt is a sure death.

I personally have been finding it hard to come out ahead hunting. I hunt, do well enough to get myself at about 80% full. Then I do the stuff I need to in the current area and decide to hunt before transitioning to a new area. I burn through a lot of my cards just getting ready to hunt again. Then I have a bad hunt and am faced with a death spiral as I try to get a good hunt but am burning more and more cards and getting bloody and poisoned, etc.

<Sigh>. Love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some big things I learned.

1. Build items when you have the resources to make it cheap on your terrain card. There are some abilities you can leverage in the game that can make this easier. Very important. I almost always try to spend almost no cards to build stuff if I can help it. It can be almost a wash building these items at cost.

2. Build the walking stick and use it often like the OP says. You walk a lot.

3. Try to spend as little time as possible wandering in the snow.

4. Always have a hunting tool like the snare trap, bow, spear ... when you need to hunt you don't want to be worrying about failing the check.

5. Keep hunting even after your deck is full. A lot of hunting cards have a rest action so it's also really helpful to have an item that helps you sleep for cheaper. Also resetting the board every now and then is a good idea. You get a resource savings from the revealed board, but also you begin to exhaust all your sources of food after a while.

6. Build the basket item and stack your food on it. Always keep one inventory slot open somewhere to hold onto food. You never want to pass up a potential food gain or have to trash an item just to free up room.

7. Always have a way to make fire. You always want to be cooking your food to make the hunting actions cost efficient. There are a couple ways to make fire in your deck. Depending on your situation some of more efficient than others.

8. Never go into a cave or tunnel without food in your inventory. Also I'd think the same goes for out in the snow. Hunting and foraging opportunities in those locations are few and far between and it's not easy to just circle back to your last hunting spot.

I usually managed to find a way for all that to work in a single character's inventory, but it would take some puzzle work to get efficient item combinations. Yeah this stuff isn't going to just happen, but as you do stuff you can start to slide it all in place and hopefully you can manage as many of my bullets above as possible most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tess Lynx
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
phillosmaster wrote:
A lot of hunting cards have a rest action so it's also really helpful to have an item that helps you sleep for cheaper.

^^ This. It took us a long time (too long) to realise that resting at most hunting helps significantly.

We have 1 player who likes to play as Frankenstein, so resting has become much easier. If you're struggling to hunt REST and make sure you always eat at a fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Cooperate when walking and crafting! When you cooperate to build an item, any player that helped can take the item. This was a big help for us in terms of card/hand management because the person who wants to use an item doesn't always have to keep the Idea of it.

Campsite Relay - build your fire on a terrain card with a 1/0 Move action. If you are playing with more than one character, sometimes it's more cost effective to reveal a new terrain card, hop back to camp at a discpunt, and then travel from the camp to the new terrain. And even if it's the same cost, it splits it into two draws, which is usually better for card selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
Cooperate when walking and crafting! When you cooperate to build an item, any player that helped can take the item. This was a big help for us in terms of card/hand management because the person who wants to use an item doesn't always have to keep the Idea of it.

Campsite Relay - build your fire on a terrain card with a 1/0 Move action. If you are playing with more than one character, sometimes it's more cost effective to reveal a new terrain card, hop back to camp at a discpunt, and then travel from the camp to the new terrain. And even if it's the same cost, it splits it into two draws, which is usually better for card selection.

Both excellent tips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loop Ee
msg tools
mb
New to the game but I have am doing 1000% better since using these two tips.

I have Frankenstein in a party of two. Soon as you get Mad scientist (which isn't too hard considering he can trade a will card for any special ability) you can get -1 crafting, which sounds slight but is a HUGE deal when you cooperate to make everything.

Travelling around and cooperating on most actions means you can move back to the campsite for free (each character has -1 move to a fire they can stack) and then move out for 1.

If you are unlucky and get paranoid by a failure, you can also easily dispel it by travelling back to camp with only one character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Raymond
msg tools
phillosmaster wrote:
Here's some big things I learned.

1. Build items when you have the resources to make it cheap on your terrain card. There are some abilities you can leverage in the game that can make this easier. Very important. I almost always try to spend almost no cards to build stuff if I can help it. It can be almost a wash building these items at cost.

This is critical, but there is a corollary - if you draw a very useful item or you absolutely need to build one, it is often cheaper to pay the extra cost and build it without all resources than moving explicitly to a location to get the bonus resources. Moving is (nearly) always costly, and you need to move back. Also, this means putting the fire at a location with great resources instead of hunting grounds can help, but then you need to move after cooking, which again takes extra moves...

With the above, I'm sure you'll figure out some really cool tricks.

Also, Items that can constantly give Crafting bonus are also VERY good in the long term, even if they take a space. Maybe more so in solo tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
karhgath wrote:

Also, Items that can constantly give Crafting bonus are also VERY good in the long term, even if they take a space. Maybe more so in solo tho.

Would you clarify (in spoilers if you like) what you mean by this? I can't think of any items that provide crafting bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
karhgath wrote:

Would you clarify (in spoilers if you like) what you mean by this? I can't think of any items that provide crafting bonuses.

One of Frankenstein's character specific cards (a lever item that you can craft using bone) gives a bonus to crafting (and a couple of other skills).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Raymond
msg tools
CheddarLimbo wrote:
karhgath wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is at least one 350 items with crafting bonus, I think I remember two. There might be some advanced skills also, tho not sure.

More specifically, I was referring to the 350
welding helmet

Also you often encounter some one-use items in the exploration cards that helps with crafting, they can be useful overall... if you have space for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
karhgath wrote:
CheddarLimbo wrote:
karhgath wrote:

There is at least one 350 items with crafting bonus, I think I remember two. There might be some advanced skills also, tho not sure.

More specifically, I was referring to the 350
welding helmet

Also you often encounter some one-use items in the exploration cards that helps with crafting, they can be useful overall... if you have space for them.

Oh riiiiight. I forgot about that one. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoitaan
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:

Can you clarify the campsite relay for me please? It's been over a year since I touched the game but I'm hoping to get back to it soon. Not sure I remember enough about the game to understand how revealing a new terrain card would give you a discount to travel back to camp? And the two draws thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John K
United States
flag msg tools
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:

2) When you buy Advanced Skill cards, you're likely better to buy more cards than better cards, since it adds to the thickness of your Action Deck. Buy the cheap ones.

Has anyone done the math on this? As a plus, it reduces the likelihood of drawing a curse by a small amount, but a half-star advanced skill also reduces the expected value of the deck. (the average skill card has I think .75 stars, please check my math)

But I agree, you should definitely purchase any advanced skills with at least a full star.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Shoitaan wrote:
CheddarLimbo wrote:

Can you clarify the campsite relay for me please? It's been over a year since I touched the game but I'm hoping to get back to it soon. Not sure I remember enough about the game to understand how revealing a new terrain card would give you a discount to travel back to camp? And the two draws thing.

Sure.

There is an ability on all the character cards that says you can reduce a walk action by -1 if you are walking to a space with a fire. Because this is a brown icon modifier, it is cumulative with more characters. So 2 characters walking back to the fire together is -2, etc.

Say you have a fire on a terrain card that has a 1/0 travel action.

The party is on a terrain with 2/0 travel, and reveals a new terrain card adjacent to them. From there, they would pay 2 cards to walk to the new terrain. But if they walk back to the campfire for free (2/0 -2), then leave from there for 1/0, it saves a net cost of 1 action card.

The other comment refers to splitting the same number of draws over multiple actions. Even if you'd draw 2 cards total going to the camp and then traveling, it's better to draw one card in one action, then draw the second card in a second action because you can only keep one card per action. If you draw them both at once you have to choose which to keep. If you draw them as part of two actions, you keep (and can use) both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Irrgang
msg tools
Some other tips:

* Don't be too tight with cards during actions. If the penalty for failure is just to retry the action, your expected number of cards used is C/P, where C is the cards used and P is the probability of success.
* Because of that, just having a single "add a star" card in hand saves you a lot of cards, even when you don't use it, because you can draw less cards for the same overall risk of failure, and take advantage of lucky draws as well.
* Always read the failure consequences. If they're worse than just retrying, then you probably draw another card (or more). Sometimes though they're not so bad. Sometimes it's better to just use cost reduction and auto-fail (this is already a hint on an xp card I think). Judge how much you pay or risk accordingly.
* The OP said "use your items", I'll double down on this and add "use the cards in your hand". Don't be afraid to Learn by Doing to save only 2 cards (or 1 even in some cases), especially if the alternative is discarding all the cards you draw to a full hand. Any time a card gives you value, use it. Don't leave Study the Notes or Think or Knowledge is Power sitting in your hand. Pick the card that you can use now over the card that will give you more value later, unless it's something absolutely mission critical. Discarding to hand size is right sometimes. but it's generally a sign of poor choices.
* Don't be afraid to do the yellow hunts (or fishing), but make sure you have the items you need to succeed. You should aim for the biggest number of cards available - though you don't have to make that a 90% chance. Cheap, repeatable hunts with reusable items is also an alternative approach, but not when bloodied, and make sure you can deal with a predator.
* Don't keep hunting once there's no (or hardly any) good cards left. The 250s and the like come back when you save or move to a new place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not gamble and let red state cards accumulate. Deal with them immediately if possible. When presented with a choice of dealing with a state card vs performing some other action, it is rarely in your interest to ignore the state card now and deal with it later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:

5. Keep hunting even after your deck is full. A lot of hunting cards have a rest action so it's also really helpful to have an item that helps you sleep for cheaper. Also resetting the board every now and then is a good idea. You get a resource savings from the revealed board, but also you begin to exhaust all your sources of food after a while.

This is misleading a little. You exhaust your sources of food regardless of the fact whether you save or not, since you are required to banish the "good" hunting locations (the green-to-yellow symbol is sneaky). The hunting location on the tutorial island is the perfect example of that - save as much as you want, the crabs still never come back, and if you don't leave that island, you will die.

Voluntary resetting the board is almost always detrimental. When you need to save due to RL circumstances (and not for gameplay-related reasons), then I heartily recommend using a "soft save", where you actually save in a way that keeps the game state frozen (essentially pretending you left the game on the table). Losing the ability to teleport halfway across the continent can often lose you the game, especially if you exhausted all the interim hunting locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Voluntary resetting the board is almost always detrimental. When you need to save due to RL circumstances (and not for gameplay-related reasons), then I heartily recommend using a "soft save", where you actually save in a way that keeps the game state frozen (essentially pretending you left the game on the table). Losing the ability to teleport halfway across the continent can often lose you the game, especially if you exhausted all the interim hunting locations.

A corollary to this: NEVER voluntarily reset the board when underground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Irrgang
msg tools
baba44713 wrote:
phillosmaster wrote:

This is misleading a little. You exhaust your sources of food regardless of the fact whether you save or not, since you are required to banish the "good" hunting locations (the green-to-yellow symbol is sneaky). The hunting location on the tutorial island is the perfect example of that - save as much as you want, the crabs still never come back, and if you don't leave that island, you will die.

I think the point is to return the good 150, 200, 250 and 300 cards. The green card hunts are great and all but eventually you need to still be able to sustain yourself on the yellow ones, and when there's only a handful of good cards in there that means resetting.

I think the point though is to reset when you cross an event card or indeed when you're forced to reset anyway. I personally haven't ever found I couldn't find a time when I at least "might as well" reset based on where I am and where I'm going. I think the only way to do this wrong would be:
1. Explore a large area.
2. Do a fair bit of hunting/fishing in the process
3. Travel to a new area, without resetting.
4. Explore the new area.
5. Find you want to hunt, but there's e.g no good 250 cards left, and resetting is now costly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dur rrrrr
msg tools
Irgy wrote:

5. Find you want to hunt, but there's e.g no good 250 cards left, and resetting is now costly.

Hmm, I have been using 100/150/200/250 cards as rng decks, reshuffling for every hunt.
I guess I have been missing out on opportunities to pick more opportune reshuffle times. Then again, I avoid resetting the board as much as possible anyway, even leaving the game on the table overnight. The setup/cleanup time as well as the time spent re-opening terrain and then recovering the action deck is time I would prefer to spend interacting would the story/content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
sixten wrote:
Irgy wrote:

Hmm, I have been using 100/150/200/250 cards as rng decks, reshuffling for every hunt.
I guess I have been missing out on opportunities to pick more opportune reshuffle times. Then again, I avoid resetting the board as much as possible anyway, even leaving the game on the table overnight. The setup/cleanup time as well as the time spent re-opening terrain and then recovering the action deck is time I would prefer to spend interacting would the story/content.

Just to be clear, those cards should go into the Past after you take one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, non-player cards that are discarded need to go to the past. You shouldn't be able to keep getting the best prey each time, but also you should have a chance to weed out bad cards after a few hunts (on depleted grounds of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.