flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question on the move to reposition in the app

Every imperial figure has two of these on their action list

For example move two to reposition 4
Move 7 to reposition 4

Based on the rules for this it seemed to say do the action to the best you can even if it doesn't get them 4 away and not to skip it, if so why is there two options?

Otherwise if the two move didn't get them 4 away I would skip it to move up to 7 to get as close to 4 away. Or is that the correct way to do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2 "move to reposition" options are in there just in case the figure can't make any of the other actions (attack or engange or whatever), so the figure will still have 2 actions to make. In this way the figure can move long distance to achieve what it wants to achieve.

You shouldn't skip the first and then do the second. Like you said, the rules say you don't skip this action and does the best you can do. Most probably if you are only able to take the first "move to reposition", is because you alread moved and attack in this figure's activation, so you can understand how it would be way too powerfull if not only he moved and attack first, and then moved to reposition using the greater number of movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What upkeep are you talking about? You are not taking decisions for the imperial side at all, you only do that when there is a "tie" for moving the imperial figure, just like it happens in all games with Artificial Inteligence so far. One day I hope to see an AI that really thinks about everything, but we are not there yet. For now, the rules for the app and the app itself does a pretty good job in showing us how we should move the figures around. Most of the rules questions (like this one) is just because people are overthinking and trying to bend the rules as written to do somethin that they want to do.

In time: I do love the base game. 1 vs all is my favourite kind of game and Imperial Assault is by far my most played game ever. I just don't agree with you when you say we have to make a lot of choices for the imperial figures because this is not the case. And I really don't know what you are saying about upkeep... I must be missing something... :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are different, but related games that serve different groups.

And yeah, trust us that there are much fewer stupid questions about the app than there were when Imperial Assault came out and we had to deal with everyone assuming it worked like Descent and the misinformation that spread back then.

The release of the LotA rules has been much less frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnnymaxx wrote:
The 2 "move to reposition" options are in there just in case the figure can't make any of the other actions (attack or engange or whatever), so the figure will still have 2 actions to make. In this way the figure can move long distance to achieve what it wants to achieve.

You shouldn't skip the first and then do the second. Like you said, the rules say you don't skip this action and does the best you can do. Most probably if you are only able to take the first "move to reposition", is because you alread moved and attack in this figure's activation, so you can understand how it would be way too powerfull if not only he moved and attack first, and then moved to reposition using the greater number of movement.

That makes sense thanks. This is what I figured and have played it, but wasn't sure. I have yet to have a time a figure couldn't attack so I have yet to have them do two moves for both their actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I‘m not fine with crippling the rules of a superb game just to make it work with an inferior app.

That is clearly not the case here. I'm almost done with the campaign playing solo, and am 2 missions into another campaign with my gaming group, and the app has not been a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is a different game with the app. Yes, it is not as strategic as playing against a human Imperial Player.

No, the game is not crippled. It is just different and aimed towards a different market. It will also turn some people off that wanted a true AI, but FFG has chosen a niche for this product and it is unlikely to change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have said even before knowing anything about the app that it would be a different way of playing.

From playing through the Flight of the Freedom Fighter campaign twice, and other scattered missions, I would say the rebel strategy and tactics is just the same. You are trying to benefit the most of the rebel ability combos and try to be as efficient as possible without all heroes becoming wounded. You are still second-guessing what the imperial figures do, it is just different second-guessing than against an imperial player with a class deck, but second-guessing nonetheless.

In addition, the way rebel heroes need to choose class cards in the app emphasizes the different way of playing. The way you purchase items and get additional rewards make it a different way of playing.

If you want to play IA any of the other ways possible, you can play IA in any of the other ways possible - Campaign against human IP face to face or in Play by Forum, Campaign against RAIV, Campaign with Imperial Directive, Skirmish face to face, Skirmish in Vassal (even Campaign in Vassal), or play Legends of the Alliance campaigns.

Having one way of playing is not away from the other ways of playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thorn

Middletown
New York
msg tools
Clipper wrote:
Yes, it is a different game with the app. Yes, it is not as strategic as playing against a human Imperial Player.

No, the game is not crippled. It is just different and aimed towards a different market. It will also turn some people off that wanted a true AI, but FFG has chosen a niche for this product and it is unlikely to change.

If they went with a full AI, then it would require tracking movements of the pieces and everything else. At that point it's just a video-game version of the game.

They needed to make a version of the game that assists, but doesn't take away to requirement to actually have the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chalmers
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
I‘m fine with newcomers learning the rules for the first time. I‘m not fine with crippling the rules of a superb game just to make it work with an inferior app.

Then don't play the game with the APP.

No one is forcing you (force pun!).

I like the app even if it is "inferior" because I like to play games with my group that does not have a 1 vs. many mechanic. The APP works perfect for us, warts and all!

The APP is an OPTION, not mandatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What would you like Sebastian? What do you want? Why are you arguing so much?

Don’t use the app if you don’t like it. And don’t try to make people not see if they will as well.

And your analogy doesn’t hold. If the car maker made cars for driving. You wouldn’t want to buy an autonomous car from them. FFG makes board games not computer games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patrickstockton wrote:
FFG makes board games not computer games.

True. They created a whole new company for creating stand-alone video games: Fantasy Flight Interactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.