Dinosaur Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Phase 1 questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rolando
msg tools
mbmb
First off, great game!

1) During phase 1, as each player places their scientists, do they remain on the board until the end of the phase?

2) Once a DNA dice is claimed, it cannot be claimed by another player. Is that right?

3) The dino recipe and the pass spots each have one hexagonal space. Can more than one player claim the same type of dino recipe and can more than one player pass? Or once a scientist is placed in that spot, no other scientist can occupy it?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
muskett32 wrote:
First off, great game!

1) During phase 1, as each player places their scientists, do they remain on the board until the end of the phase?

2) Once a DNA dice is claimed, it cannot be claimed by another player. Is that right?

3) The dino recipe and the pass spots each have one hexagonal space. Can more than one player claim the same type of dino recipe and can more than one player pass? Or once a scientist is placed in that spot, no other scientist can occupy it?

Thanks in advance.

1. They stay on the board until the end of the round.

2. Yes we just take thensice and put it in front of us.

3. Only 1 Dino recipe per spot. And yes everyone can pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for the quick reply.

What is confusing me is that in the rulebook under 1. Research Phase, last paragraph it says "IMPORTANT! Only one scientist can be assigned to each slot"

So to me that means, one hexagonal slot, one scientist. So if I place my scientist in the PASS spot, it is occupied and no one else can pass. Or if I place a scientist in the small carnivore slot, no one else can procure a small carnivore dino this round.

Contrasting that with the Increase Cold Storage option, which has 6 open hexagonal slots.

Am I mistaken? Apologies if I am repeating anything. Just trying to get this right in my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well for passing, you then immediately take that scientist and add it to your worker pool. The pass action can be taken by many players (and multiple times by the same player. )
Different design would be nice (no hexagon or an infinity symbolk or something) but oh well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ponga
Belgium
Bruxelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you explain it, it makes perfect sense to me: there's one hexagon because you have to place 1 scientist. You then take it for it to become a worker. Next player will find an empty hexagon, so will be able to pass too.

Haven't received the game yet (anxiously waiting), so I can't actually help beyond that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafael explained it well. When you use the Pass action, you immediately take your Scientist and place it in your pool of lab workers on your Lab board. The "Pass" hexagon spot on the Research board never remains occupied. In practice, players don't bother placing their Scientist on the Pass space; they just say "I'm passing" and put their Scientist directly on their Lab board.

The dino recipes are strictly limited to one Scientist per round. If a player places a Scientist on a dino recipe space and takes the tile, that type of dino recipe (herbivore, small/large carnivore) is no longer available that round.

The Increase Cold Storage space is strictly limited to 6 Scientists.

When you claim a DNA die with a Scientist you take/discard the die; it is no longer available to the other players that round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
The dino recipes are strictly limited to one Scientist per round. If a player places a Scientist on a dino recipe space and takes the tile, that type of dino recipe (herbivore, small/large carnivore) is no longer available that round.

Even if there wasn't a rule limiting it to one scientist per space, you still couldn't purchase multiple dinosaur recipes of the same type since the new tiles aren't turned face up until the cleanup phase. You literally have nothing to buy even if you could place a scientist there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.