Hide
9 Posts

Leaving Earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combining maneuvers into a single stage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kal Goran
msg tools
Is if fine to combine multiple maneuvers? Like Earth orbit to Lunar landing with a single Soyuz? The rules don't comment on it and while it's done in certain instances (Earth to Orbit, Earth Orbit to Mars) I'm not certain if that applies to any. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheThreeLaws wrote:
Is if fine to combine multiple maneuvers? Like Earth orbit to Lunar landing with a single Soyuz? The rules don't comment on it and while it's done in certain instances (Earth to Orbit, Earth Orbit to Mars) I'm not certain if that applies to any. Thoughts?
You cannot combine the difficulty of multiple manoeuvres and do them all with one rocket.
You are correct that some manoeuvres are effectively a combination of other smaller manoeuvres, but that doesn't mean you can combine others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kal Goran
msg tools
Yeah that was my thought, but teaching a new player and he really wanted to do it. I felt it ran counter to the design but didn't see anything that ruled it out, just that it seemed like it was done in certain areas.

Good to know, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is possible, it will be printed on the location card.

Rule books that include what you cannot do tend to be enormous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only maneuvers available are the ones on the location card. For example, you can go from Earth to Earth Orbit in a single maneuver because it says so on the Earth card.

You cannot combine multiple maneuvers into one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kal Goran
msg tools
I certainly feel vindicated in my interpretation. However I've got a follow up question I might be wrong about.

The interpretation I always had of a minor failure at launch was that it wasn't that the rocket failed to ignite at all (allowing the recovery of all components and repair of the rocket) but that it launched before fizzling out (like a recent Long March launch if I'm not mistaken), and given the suborbital flight hazard it would crash back to Earth.

To my mind, this could be counteracted by staging the failed rocket and using later stage rockets to at least get the rocket up to orbit, if there was sufficient thrust. Sure, your mission won't get to its destination, but it'll survive and a later mission can bolt on new rockets.

But again while teaching there was some dispute there. Can a minor failure on Earth simply be recovered? I assume repairs on Earth happen at the end of the year, so you can't just fix and relaunch. This would make a degree of sense since it does say it just fails to produce thrust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you draw a minor failure (for any rocket), you have the option of aborting the manoeuvre. That rocket is damaged, and the craft doesn't move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
When you draw a minor failure (for any rocket), you have the option of aborting the manoeuvre. That rocket is damaged, and the craft doesn't move.
That's right, but just to clarify: upon revealing the minor failure immediately flip the rocket over to its damaged side, no thrust is produced by that rocket and the rocket (and its mass) are still part of the spacecraft. A minor failure doesn't jettison the rocket.

If you have extra rockets already on board the spacecraft you can fire them off or not as you desire, but you can't add rockets mid-launch.

After aborting, you can switch out rockets on Earth (or use rendezvous elsewhere). If you have a capsule, mechanic-astronaut, and a supply you can combine them with the damaged rocket and undertake a Repair action to flip the rocket back to its good side during your turn and try the launch again -- but you can't do a Repair mid-launch.

In short, the Maneuver action should be completed (success or failure) before a different action (Disassembly/Assembly, Rendezvous, Repair, etc.) is started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kal Goran
msg tools
Makes sense and good to know for my next game! Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.