Popular Tags: [View All]
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb

Me and a friend just got our first half of our Typhon pledges (location: Maryland, for those of you anxiously tracking who is receiving what). We both brought our boxes to a GCOM Christmas party and had two other interested players, so we did a 4x4 skirmish. It was the first game for all of us, and only one of us had read the rules. All of us, even the non-heavy strategic gamers, picked up the rules fairly quickly. As a point of reference, we are all experienced Cthulhu Wars players, and Mythic Battles does resemble Cthulhu Wars in many ways (while still being a completely different game).

So, we just used the figures from the core box. The four teams ended up being:

David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
- Zeus + Heracles, the Spartans, the Infernal Warriors, and the Centaurs.

Sandy - Aries + Achilles, the Minotaur, and the Hoplites.

Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Athena + Odysseus, Atalanta, and the Amazons.

Agent Bonkers
msg tools
- Hades + Cerberus, the Medusa, and the Hell Hounds

In the first part of the game, we sort of squared off with our "partner" on the same side of the board, so Zeus and Aries battled on our side of the board while Hades went after Athena on theirs.

I brought out Zeus and Heracles early, but didn't summon any of my troops until mid-game. (I drafted a lot of troops because I thought having two figures with Leadership would be useful, but never did get much utility out of that.) Sandy took a long time to bring out Aries, instead sending the Minotaur in to grab an Omphalos next to Zeus. I sent Zeus to fight him, and did some damage, but the Minotaur wounded Zeus in return. Then Heracles joined Zeus and started lobbing pillars at the big bull. Sandy couldn't do much because she'd spent her cards quickly.

Meanwhile, Hades sent Cerberus to attack Athena, but the Amazons got in the way. Cerberus made short work of them, chomping down the entire troop in one attack. Athena's owl had little effect, while Hades then brought out the Medusa. All of us were worried about the Medusa, who seemed like a really potent troop-killer. However, Athena sent Atalanta to attack the Medusa, and with some well-timed attacks and lucky rolls, killed Medusa without Medusa ever getting to petrify anyone.

Back on our side of the board, the Hoplites moved towards Zeus. Heracles stepped into the Minotaur's area, and they clobbered each other, throwing each other in opposite directions. I threw the Minotaur into the same area as the Hoplites, and then used my hoard of Art of War cards to activate Zeus and toss a lightning bolt, which finished off the Minotaur and almost wiped out the Hoplites.

Cerberus, meanwhile, was moving into the center of the board to grab another Omphalos for Hades. At this point, Hades, Zeus, and Aries all had 2 Omphalos each, while Athena had not absorbed any. Both Aries and Athena's owl harassed Cerberus, killing him off, and Athena then pressed the attack on Hades with Atalanta. Hades, despite getting regular rejuvenations from all the death, ended up falling in battle, the first god eliminated.

Aries, who had had such a slow start, now had three Omphalos, as did Zeus. Athena still had only two. Zeus had no Omphalos near him, however, while Achilles brought a fourth to Aries, and we knew if she drew her last Aries activation card, she'd win. So my only option was to have Zeus move by himself to the space where Aries and Achilles were and attack Achilles, hoping to Mighty Throw him and make him drop the Omphalos, which I might be able to snatch up.

Unfortunately, Zeus didn't roll a single blank for any throws, and my damage was only enough to inflict one wound, which did nothing to invulnerable Achilles, able to ignore the first wound in any attack. Achilles failed to damage Zeus in return, but then it was Sandy's turn, and she had an Aries activation, allowing Aries to absorb his fourth Omphalos and win.

It was a great game, and we all enjoyed it (except Monika, who was a little sulky about us killing off all her monsters and then her god). It was well balanced and even until the last turn, the three survivors were all plausibly within reach of victory.

This is definitely going into rotation in our group. I'll probably do a review after a few more games, but as a huge Cthulhu Wars fan, Mythic Battles: Pantheon has some tough competition, but I think it's a contender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I get for missing the GCOM Christmas party cry.

I have a Typhoon+ pledge coming would have loved to have at least seen this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Arking
United States
Potomac
MD
flag msg tools
mbmb
I myself live in MD and am a huge Cthulhu Wars fan. As I am waiting for my MB:P, I was happy to hear how the games compared and were very different. I would enjoy playing more. What is this gcom you speak of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
arking_mark wrote:
I myself live in MD and am a huge Cthulhu Wars fan. As I am waiting for my MB, I was happy to hear how the games compared and were very different. I would enjoy playing more. What is this gcom you speak of?

The Games Club of Maryland. There are meetups all over the state, and they also run various conventions throughout the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very worth looking into a meetup near you or attending some of the conventions they hold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Arking
United States
Potomac
MD
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am in Potomac and will look into gcom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.