Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for an amazing week of geekiness. And thanks to Peter for the nomination.

When asked to pass the torch, one name immediately came to me as someone that is an embodiment of equal parts geek and awesomeness:

Teri Litorco
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

I have met Teri at several conventions and this past year and had the honor of being on the "One Night Only" show with Teri as the gracious host of the event (streamed lived on Alpha). I have a tremendous amount of respect for Teri as she has been incredibly active in spreading the virtues of the hobby. I'm very glad to have the opportunity to put a spotlight on Teri and the amazing person she is

Here is Teri:
ThatTeriGirl wrote:

Teri Litorco is a professional fangirl, content creator and tabletop gamer. She's the author of the Civilized Guide to Tabletop Gaming, and the contributing editor for Geek & Sundry. She's also a Youtube vlogger, with content focused on miniature wargames and boardgames.

Here are the 2 truths and a lie... it's a tough one
Poll
Which is the lie?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Teri is miniature herself, standing 4'8" tall.
9.2% 11
Teri owns a full Forgeworld Horus Heresy army of World Eaters.
15.1% 18
Teri is a shark at Monopoly.
75.6% 90
Voters 119
This poll is now closed.   119 answers
Poll created by nazcagames
Closes: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats Teri! Guess I'll start w/1st question... do you really only own 1 boardgame? (at least your BGG profile shows only 1 owned game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Teri. Have a great week!

What is your favorite spaceship? And why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miller
United States
Winchendon
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Memoir '44 World Cup Tournament Organizer - Red Eyed Jack
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Teri! Enjoy your week!

Here are my usual questions, beginning with a gaming question.

d10-1 Have you ever played any of the following games: Memoir '44, Shadows over Camelot, BANG!, High Noon Saloon, Sequence?

Now for some non-gaming questions.

Favorite?
d10-2 Kind of pie?
d10-3 Vegetable?
d10-4 Kind of Cookie?
d10-5 Flavor of Ice Cream?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Teri!
Have a wizard of a week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizardly type? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
congrats Teri! Guess I'll start w/1st question... do you really only own 1 boardgame? (at least your BGG profile shows only 1 owned game)

Hah! If only. The game listed is the only game that I've done a video review for for BGG, unsurprisingly it is a miniature wargame-like game.

I love boardgames and play piles of them both for work and as a hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocab wrote:
Congratulations Teri. Have a great week!

What is your favorite spaceship? And why?

USS Defiant. Captained by a Klingon, it's all guns and engines.The thing is small but a beast, and I can relate to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Teri!
Have a wizard of a week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizardly type? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?

Space Wizard (AKA Jedi). I have a soft spot for Imperial Assault's depiction since she's totally female, and I love that design decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Eyed Jack wrote:
Congratulations, Teri! Enjoy your week!

Here are my usual questions, beginning with a gaming question.

d10-1 Have you ever played any of the following games: Memoir '44, Shadows over Camelot, BANG!, High Noon Saloon, Sequence?

Sequence! I used it to help introduce games to my daughter at 5 when she was old enough to grow past Connect 4. Most of my gaming is either mini wargames, 2 player small box games, or family games because that's where I can fit games into my life.

Quote:

Now for some non-gaming questions.

Favorite?
d10-2 Kind of pie?

Cherry.

Quote:
d10-3 Vegetable?

Jicima.

Quote:
d10-4 Kind of Cookie?

Nutmeg shortbread.

Quote:
d10-5 Flavor of Ice Cream?

Maple walnut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
nazcagames wrote:
Thanks everyone for an amazing week of geekiness. And thanks to Peter for the nomination.

When asked to pass the torch, one name immediately came to me as someone that is an embodiment of equal parts geek and awesomeness:

Teri Litorco
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

I have met Teri at several conventions and this past year and had the honor of being on the "One Night Only" show with Teri as the gracious host of the event (streamed lived on Alpha). I have a tremendous amount of respect for Teri as she has been incredibly active in spreading the virtues of the hobby. I'm very glad to have the opportunity to put a spotlight on Teri and the amazing person she is

Thank you Emerson! It's such an honor and delight to be even considered worthy of being known about. I'm just a fangirl who loves gaming, all said and done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 What game reminds you most of being a vlogger?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Teri and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay it's Teri! Congratulations!

My usual question when I drop into this:

What game does not exist yet, that needs to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
"Compared to You, I'm just a nighlight, against the blazing Son." --Jimmy Needham
mb
congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Teri!

What was the biggest screw-you moment you have had, in a game? Giving, receiving, self-inflicted, or some combination therein.

Is there a game that you love, but are terrible at?

If you could say one thing, in this world, that is true, what would it be?

If you had to live in either perpetual darkness, perpetual light, or perpetual gloom; which would you choose?

What is the most money you have frittered away, in the shortest amount of time?

If you had to participate in an eating competition, what would be your food of choice?

What would be your UFC/WWE fighter name?

How do you define “art”?

What was the best shower/bath you have ever had?

If money and access were no object, what would be the object on earth you would buy? Collectable or not.

Is there something you cannot resist buying, if you see it (of course board games, silly, what else?)?

What is a song that you can listen to over and over?

If you could only listen to one genre of music, forever, what genre would you choose?

Who is your favorite villain?

Is it weird to answer so many questions from on stranger on the internet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan
Russia
Ekaterinburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Teri!

My usual question: when did you play snowballs last time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats Teri! Have a fruitful week of gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Teri, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

Thank you!

Quote:
I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?

Let me preface by saying that my first real hobby game (beyond classic/mainstream games) in the tabletop world was Warhammer 40K. It shaped my tastes and my sensibilities, though it's an extension of my first tabletop game ever, Chess.

Miniature wargames and non-miniature wargames seem like they'd have a lot of similarities, and there are some basics that are common for both, but I don't ever find myself drawn to games like Risk, A&A, Twilight Imperium etc.

The things that draw me into mini wargames are immersion and narrative, on top of strategic movement and unit synergies. Whenever I play a wargame that isn't a miniature wargame, I typically find myself wanting to rather spend my time playing a miniature game with the time instead. It's more about my personal tastes than anything about the game (obviously). There's probably something about not being a fan of maps either.

Quote:
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?

Ninja Division's Ninja All Stars. It's somehow masked as a tabletop board game that's an arena battle game, but in all honesty, if you got rid of the board, you'd have a full-on skirmish miniature wargame. It's the game I'm using to teach my daughter to play miniature wargames as all the elements of miniature wargames are present (models have front arcs, juggle status effects etc.) while being accessible enough.

You gotta be inclined to miniature wargaming to dig it, but it's a fantastic little game.

Quote:
6 What game reminds you most of being a vlogger?

Star Trek Attack Wing from Wizkids. I got heavy into that game when I first became a vlogger, I got to play the game with Garrett Wang (Ensign Harry Kim) on the vlogs channel for Geek & Sundry, and so many of my videos on BGG were about that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ivan111 wrote:
Congratulations Teri!

My usual question: when did you play snowballs last time?

Yesterday! I'm Canadian, and the snow's hit the ground where I live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mind_ranger wrote:
Yay it's Teri! Congratulations!

My usual question when I drop into this:

What game does not exist yet, that needs to?

A few years ago I would have said dinosaurs, but even D&D has now included dinos, so thats been satisfied.

I'm no game designer, but I am a fangirl, so I can't talk esoterically about what kind of games needs to exist in the space, but I can instead wish for a game that expresses my utter passion as well as tastes.

That game is a The Game of Life-Werewolf hybrid-style life simulator game based on the TV/Netflix show Arrested Development. I envision playing in the style of characters from the show, like Battlestar Galactica, and like that game, having prison mecahnics, airlock mechanics ("you're out of the family") and just silly, silly situations.

It's cooperative in that you've got to evade the police as a family (like running from the Cylons) but it's also individual competition in that you don't want to be stuck with Tobias (unless you're Buster, in which case you never want to be alone.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Zayas
United States
EGLIN AFB
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. My. God.

lol that is hilarious. Fan-created BSG reskin for Arrested Development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Congrats Teri!

What was the biggest screw-you moment you have had, in a game? Giving, receiving, self-inflicted, or some combination therein.

I killed my husband's character in D&D not too long ago. Sort-of unintentionally, because I have a evil sword, but I think the real screw-you is that my character still uses the sword.

Quote:
Is there a game that you love, but are terrible at?

Like every wargame I'm currently collecting and playing (and love enough to buy the minis, build, and paint them). I've got a good dozen mini wargames on the go that I play, but as such I haven't buckled down and done the strategy honing and list optimization I should be doing if I want to be truly competitive (the way I used to be when I was all-in with 40K about eight years ago.)

I also love Blood Rage, but I've never beat my husband at the game since the first time we played together. He's a freaking shark.

Quote:
If you could say one thing, in this world, that is true, what would it be?

There is a game for everyone in this world, and thank goodness for that.

Quote:
If you had to live in either perpetual darkness, perpetual light, or perpetual gloom; which would you choose?

Perpetual light. I tend to thrive in sunlight, and have lived pretty far north at some points in my adulthoood where summer days would go from 5AM to 11PM and I loved it.

Quote:
What is the most money you have frittered away, in the shortest amount of time?

Adepticon. In about 2 hours, I dropped about $1.2K on models and books from a pile of publishers, much of which was at the GW Forgeworld table. It was fun explaining why I was bringing back so much stuff to the customs officer who looked at me like I was crazy for spending that much money on toys, though they seemed to get it when I called them "collectibles."

Quote:
If you had to participate in an eating competition, what would be your food of choice?

Balut. Mostly because I know most people are terribly turned off by the idea of it (it's that Filipino duck egg that ends up on shows like Fear Factor) but I love them and could eat them by the dozen. So not only would I enjoy myself, I would win.

Quote:
What would be your UFC/WWE fighter name?

I was in roller derby for years, and my derby name was "Teri Fying". I don't think I'd change it.

Quote:
How do you define “art”?

That's really tough. Ultimately I consider art to be a product of a creative endeavour that gives us perspective on an aspect of life. Art is created through the pursuit and intent, rather than the outcome itself.

Quote:
What was the best shower/bath you have ever had?

I had spent a few weeks in the Philippines, where luxury baths and showers aren't really a thing commonly (hot water isn't common out there). We went to Hong Kong for New Years and stayed at a luxury hotel near the airport, which had an incredible soaker tub that I immersed myself with. It was utterly divine.

Quote:
If money and access were no object, what would be the object on earth you would buy? Collectable or not.

A sailboat filled with minis and games.

Quote:
Is there something you cannot resist buying, if you see it (of course board games, silly, what else?)?

Lipstick. It's literally my weakness - I walk into stores for mundane everyday things but I can't not stop and look at lipsticks. There's something about owning and wearing it that it satisfying to me in ways I cannot articulate.

Quote:
What is a song that you can listen to over and over?

July Talk's Lola + Joseph.

Quote:
If you could only listen to one genre of music, forever, what genre would you choose?

Canadian Indie Rock. It's varied enough to be rich, and there are so many great bands out in the space.

Quote:
Who is your favorite villain?

Trek's Section 31. They're relatable, zealous, bureaucratic, fascinating, and unapologetically evil (and recognize it) while also believing they are doing good. They know they're not heroes, but they're needed, and I love them for it.

Quote:
Is it weird to answer so many questions from on stranger on the internet?

I'm an unapologetic oversharer as it is, so no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dmzayas wrote:
Oh. My. God.

lol that is hilarious. Fan-created BSG reskin for Arrested Development.

It's a thing I didn't realize before today that I desperately want to own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Tangrean
msg tools
mbmb
Congrats Teri!

My question for you is how does the Gaming scenes differ between different regions in your experience? Such as between Alberta and Ontario.

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.