Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 questions that require clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
walt walt
Ukraine
flag msg tools
I own both expansions and the original, but these still puzzle me:

1. If I do a search with a survivor at any location and find an item that can be equipped, - but I do not want to equip it immediately or equip it to that particular survivor which found it - what is the exact order of actions, so that I keep such item and equip it to another survivor later? (I mean, are there any restrictions applied? - as it is stated in the rules that to exchange items in between 2 survivors, they must share a location; therefore is it even possible for me as a player to hold on equip-able item that I've just found and later on remove it from my hands and attach it arbitrarily to any one of my survivors, as I deem necessary).

2. In the Long Night expansion there are certain crisis cards (like ''Hunters'' or ''Scavengers'' crisis cards) that require items, such as books or weapons to be contributed to crisis.
What perplexes me is that such items would usually be seen already attached to player's characters. Therefore player might openly un-equip such items from his survivors and also openly put them (face up) into crisis contribution section. The issue I see here is that the whole clandestine/secretive trait of putting cards to the crisis contribution is lost in such case. Or am I missing something here?

Thanks and looking forward to your answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When you find items they go straight into your hand and can be equipped immediately to a character you control, even if not at that location. The rules about shared location only apply to already equipped items or other players.

2. See top of page 11 of DoW rule book: cards can be equipped or in hand, but in both cases are added face down even though they may have been visible.

Edited for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacky Blue Note wrote:

2. See top of page 11 of DoW rule book: cards can be equipped or in hand, but in both cases are added face down even though they may have been visible.

The german rules only tell to add cards in hand face down to the crisis decks. Why would you put previously equiped cards face down as it was obvious who/what was added ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
The german rules only tell to add cards in hand face down to the crisis decks. Why would you put previously equiped cards face down as it was obvious who/what was added ?

That's odd! Rechecked the English editions of both DoW and TLN rules and they do say:

"A player may add 1 or more cards from his hand and/or cards that are equipped to survivors he controls to the currently revealed crisis cards." (both p. 11)

I would imagine everyone would want to add equipped cards precisely for the reason that it would be obvious. I.e. to prove you were not the betrayer or, if you are the betrayer, to throw people off the scent by contributing a powerful card. E.g. "Look how supportive I've been to the community!" (laughs maniacally knowing he's previously added a bunch of junk to the same crisis and is about to murder Forest Plum)

However I was incorrect on one thing, they both only state that "Cards added to a crisis from a player's hand are added face down", which implies equipped cards are added face up, or indeed that it doesn't matter either way. (also both p. 11 - didn't read it properly before last post)

Edit: personal note: I'm tempted to go with the latter, just adding all cards face down. I feel that as crisis tanking does not play out as a very effective strategy until it's too late anyway and including face up cards might make it slightly less viable still, but I can see why people might want to add them face up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacky Blue Note wrote:
LarkinVB wrote:

However I was incorrect on one thing, they both only state that "Cards added to a crisis from a player's hand are added face down", which implies equipped cards are added face up, or indeed that it doesn't matter either way. (also both p. 11 - didn't read it properly before last post)

Thats what the german rules state too. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! Sorry, I misread the emphasis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walt walt
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Jacky Blue Note wrote:
1. When you find items they go straight into your hand and can be equipped immediately to a character you control, even if not at that location. The rules about shared location only apply to already equipped items or other players.

Edited for clarity

thanks.

Also made me thinking:

does it mean I can un-equip items from my survivors at any time and put these cards into my hand?

This is somewhat murky, AFAIK I is not allowed to un-equip items from survivors (it would allow sharing items between two survivors who are not at the same location when unequipped items travel via player's hands -are being held in player's hands in between the transfer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
walt_ua wrote:
does it mean I can un-equip items from my survivors at any time and put these cards into my hand?

I don't know why it would mean that. I don't have the rules with me at the moment but, in lieu of someone stepping in who does, I don't believe you can unequip like that no. Only hand-off/sharing or contribute (which takes the card out of play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilios Vitalis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as the rules go it says you can never unequip the items and put them back in your hand.
It specifically says that:
"Once a card is equipped it cannot be unequipped unless it is being added to the crisis or being handed off".
Hope that helps, enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You can equip any card you find to any survivor at any time. Once equipped though, that card will never go back into your hand (typically speaking).

2) There are times when your group is desperate and you may have to chose between failing the crises and risk losing, or unequipping a card from a character to add to the crises. It is also especially helpful in throwing people off your case if you are a possible betrayor or maybe if equipping those items were somehow hindering your ability to complete your secret objective. But regardless, who cares if it is face up or face down as everyone will see you unequip it anyway. It makes the most sense to still toss it in face down as per usual crises contribution rules. I don't know why you would do otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.