1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Am I allowed to ask for recommendations based on my collection? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just want to get some unique things added. My collection really grew this since I fully got into the hobby and I’m trying to avoid more of the same.

Here’s the list:

Anomia: Party Edition (2013)
Azul (2017)
BANG! The Dice Game (2013)
BANG! The Dice Game: Old Saloon (2016)
Catan (1995)
Catan: Cities & Knights (1998)
Codenames (2015)
Dominion (2008)
Five Tribes (2014)
Geek Out! (2013)
Geek Out! Pop Culture Party (2014)
Go Nuts for Donuts (2017)
Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot (2002)
Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot RED Booster (2003)
Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot: VIOLET Booster (2003)
Kingdomino (2016)
Love Letter: Batman (2015)
Monopoly: Pokémon Johto Edition (2016)
Pandemic (2008)
Regular Show Fluxx (2014)
The Resistance (2009)
Roll For It! Deluxe Edition (2014)
Small World (2009)
Small World: Be Not Afraid... (2010)
Small World: Cursed! (2009)
Small World: Grand Dames of Small World (2009)
Small World: River World (2016)
Suburbia (2012)
Sushi Go Party! (2016)
Sushi Go! (2013)
Telestrations: 12 Player Party Pack (2011)
Ticket to Ride (2004)
Zombie Fluxx (2007)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you fan of horror/Cthulu theme games? It seems like you would be missing a heavy thematic horror game in the collection.

Or perhaps a dexterity game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
City of Spies: Estoril 1942 might be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ArcanumTL wrote:
Are you fan of horror/Cthulu theme games? It seems like you would be missing a heavy thematic horror game in the collection.

Or perhaps a dexterity game?

I certainly feel like I could be. I feel like I’m missing having a heavy themed game in general.

Dexterity I feel iffy on. Do you have an example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Lam
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you like cooperative games? Looks like you don’t have any.
My recommendations:
Pandemic: The Cure
Forbidden Desert
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Edit: I see you have Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to have a lot of lighter games, so maybe moving in a slightly heavier direction is your next step.

Viticulture Essential Edition is a good step up without getting too complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Parchman
United States
Henderson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep would add worker placement to your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Sushi Go/Party, you may also like 7 Wonders

You could always try Splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I’ve actually considered a lot these. Thanks for the help so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Alexander
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may not be in to that sort of thing, but you seem to be missing a war game. You could definitely go for something light like Memoir 44' or Axis and Allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ryandalex1 wrote:
You may not be in to that sort of thing, but you seem to be missing a war game. You could definitely go for something light like Memoir 44' or Axis and Allies.

Yeah that’s the one thing I’m not into. I’d have to play before I buy for sure. I could love playing it, but I don’t want to risk it. Thanks though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What do you guys think of going for Manhattan Project: Energy Empire as my first worker placement? Or does it not fit that mechanism well. Viticulture seems cool, but I’m not into wine myself. I do like it’s theme anyway. Feeling kinda meh on Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Two comments:

1) Would help if you had also stated which of these get the most table time and which you like/dislike.

2) Looks like there are some euros missing.

Depending on preference for theme consider one of these:

Caylus
Dungeon Lords
Power Grid
Puerto Rico
There are many others, but I prefer to recommend games I have played many times myself.

If you like Pandemic for the co-op elements, consider going that route too. There are a lot of nice co-op dungeon crawlers. Many of them with great re-playability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aziras wrote:

Two comments:

1) Would help if you had also stated which of these get the most table time and which you like/dislike.

2) Looks like there are some euros missing.

Depending on preference for theme consider one of these:

Caylus
Dungeon Lords
Power Grid
Puerto Rico
There are many others, but I prefer to recommend games I have played many times myself.

If you like Pandemic for the co-op elements, consider going that route too. There are a lot of nice co-op dungeon crawlers. Many of them with great re-playability.

Majority of I got this year within the last 6 months so everything is kind of even except Small World. I played a lot of that. I have a hard time finding anyone to play with. So far only one of my friends has been consistently down to play.

Pandemic was literally one of my first games into the hobby. I just haven’t bothered to get another co-op yet.

Besides Small World I like Suburbia a lot. After this next game I plan on holding out for a bit so I can get in more plays of what I own. I know I’ll like what I own, but I honestly can’t comment a lot on them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SnackeyG2 wrote:
Dexterity I feel iffy on. Do you have an example?

Personally I like the dexterity games where you flick disks (though I haven't played many dexterity games). Some examples:

Push It - small and fairly cheap. Like a tabletop version of bowls or curling. 2-4p I like it best with 4p 2v2.

Carrom - a bit like pool. My brother has a set but I've only played it once 4p 2v2.

Crokinole & PitchCar are fairly well known but I haven't played either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Alexander
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second 7 Wonders or maybe a dice placement game like Kingsburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm not going to give you advice but rather a tip.
look in the forums of the games you like. check out the people that reply and look at their collection. chances are these ppl like the same thing you do and their collection might give you an insight into what else is lurking out there for you.

also check out some top ten vids or other boardgaming related content on youtube. A lot off peeps giving insight on games. While not all will be as interesting to you it will help you build a frame of reference as to what is out there, what is played and what you might like.
there is no manuel to the perfect collection only a dream to have the most fun with what you buy....

enjoy, the hunt is like they say the best part of finding the game you need :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
mbmbmbmbmb
I say try a heavier Euro. A step up from five tribes in meatiness. Perhaps a splotter like the great Zimbabwe or food chain magnate.

If you love small world (I do) then you might find another area control game with deterministic combat interesting- Imperial or Imperial 2030. A little heavier but really fantastic games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason J
msg tools
Suggestion: Robo Rally

From what I can tell abut his collection:

Race Games- None

Programming Games- None

Silly Games- Only Telestrations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SnackeyG2 wrote:
Besides Small World I like Suburbia a lot. After this next game I plan on holding out for a bit so I can get in more plays of what I own. I know I’ll like what I own, but I honestly can’t comment a lot on them yet.

In that case, I would suggest getting one of the games that reviewers always rage about (pick the one from the top10 list that appeals the most to you). When you then get to play your games and form a better feel for which games you like and which games you can find other players for, you have a good reference point when you look at reviews.

One of the biggest challenges in the hobby is to balance your own preference in games with games you can get people to play with you. Unless you are a super social type living in an urban area, chances are that the people you can play with will be the limiting factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aziras wrote:
SnackeyG2 wrote:

In that case, I would suggest getting one of the games that reviewers always rage about (pick the one from the top10 list that appeals the most to you). When you then get to play your games and form a better feel for which games you like and which games you can find other players for, you have a good reference point when you look at reviews.

One of the biggest challenges in the hobby is to balance your own preference in games with games you can get people to play with you. Unless you are a super social type living in an urban area, chances are that the people you can play with will be the limiting factor.

Considering Scythe for that actually. I’d like a worker placement game, but I can seem to settle on any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Mueller
msg tools
Glüx is defintely missing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Cluthe
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SnackeyG2 wrote:
What do you guys think of going for Manhattan Project: Energy Empire as my first worker placement? Or does it not fit that mechanism well. Viticulture seems cool, but I’m not into wine myself. I do like it’s theme anyway. Feeling kinda meh on Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep.

This was my first worker placement and I love it. I also enjoy it solo based on the rules that come with the game and am looking forward to also trying the BGG variant. I cannot comment if this is the best of worker placements since I still haven't played many but I would recommend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I ended up going way different. Put Formula D on hold at my FLGS until the day after Christmas. I asked for a gift card to there. I’m having a rough time picking a worker placement game. Pretty much all games I’m 100% on knowing I’ll like them and nothing was giving me that feeling. Hopefully in the future I can find one. I do think I’ll enjoy the mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.