Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Collins
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I absolutely deplore redoing content, especially in a tabletop RPG, it feels a little unthematic. It works great in a video game where an rpg battle is, at most, 30 minutes, but to spend an hour or two doing something and then being forced to redo it feels a bit weird.

On the other hand, I hate not having consequences. As a longtime DM every action must have a risk to it.

I've been contemplating how to do this in Gloomhaven. I've thought of the following and would like feedback.

1. Fail a side mission, no chance of repeating, receive half rewards.
2. Fail a main mission and lose access to one side mission. If no side mission is available must

a. Loose access to a Perk or receive an additional perk, receive no treasure.
b. Pay an amount of money equal to the amount of money you would have received to complete the quest.
c. Lose a previously gained privilege from opening a treasure chest.
d. Lose a level
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These all seem way too harsh. How about:

If you lose a scenario the exhausted characters need to "recover" in the inn for a scenario and pay 1-5gp/level. If they can't/won't pay the recovery time is 2-3 scenarios and maybe -1 max HP until they pay.

This will shake up the characters you replay with so it won't be as samey.

I don't like the idea of locking out content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, this is not a great idea, and would end up having unintended consequences, potentially even preventing characters from retiring. The big thing to remember is that GH is NOT an RPG.

In an RPG, (at least if you have a decent DM) if your characters die, you probably screwed up and deserved it. In a DM-less system like this, you could easily wind up in a situation where you don't have the right party configuration or card selection, and through no fault of the party you could wind up failing (so you can either do something else until you get the tools you need for the scenario, or lower the difficulty and try again). Given the high cost of failure proposed, it removes a good deal of the incentive to increase the difficulty level as skill level increases. The cost/ benefit of doing so just doesn't make it worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/231934/gloomhav...

This is a promo scenario to support No Pun Included and was co-written by Isaac.
It is an alternative to replaying a failed scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Collins
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stryker1979 wrote:
yeah, this is not a great idea, and would end up having unintended consequences, potentially even preventing characters from retiring. The big thing to remember is that GH is NOT an RPG.

In an RPG, (at least if you have a decent DM) if your characters die, you probably screwed up and deserved it. In a DM-less system like this, you could easily wind up in a situation where you don't have the right party configuration or card selection, and through no fault of the party you could wind up failing (so you can either do something else until you get the tools you need for the scenario, or lower the difficulty and try again). Given the high cost of failure proposed, it removes a good deal of the incentive to increase the difficulty level as skill level increases. The cost/ benefit of doing so just doesn't make it worth it.

I wouldn't say that there's a big difference in dying in the two games. There are many times I've Dm'd games or been in games where the dice don't fall your way and a character dies. I remember once having a character die and them rolling 3 consecutive 1s to get out of it. Replaying a scenario would be no fun than replaying a battle in an rpg for my group, (considering a scenario takes 1 to 2 hours to replay). I'm all for consequences, but i prefer them in the game world, not my real life world, and right now that's the situation. Essentially, a eurolike mechanic to prevent player elimination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Collins
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/231934/gloomhav...

This is a promo scenario to support No Pun Included and was co-written by Isaac.
It is an alternative to replaying a failed scenario.

COol, yes this is what i was hoping. I was hoping for more consequence type scenarios as opposed to rinse and repeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjorn B
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A less harsh way would be this:

-consider any played scenario as completed, always read the completion text
-looted treasure chests are the only reward allowed
-don't get any xp or gold
-don't get prosperity or reputation changes
-items as a scenario reward always go into the shop
-scenario unlocks and achievement are gained
-play with permadeath

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oareo wrote:
These all seem way too harsh. How about:

If you lose a scenario the exhausted characters need to "recover" in the inn for a scenario and pay 1-5gp/level. If they can't/won't pay the recovery time is 2-3 scenarios and maybe -1 max HP until they pay.

This will shake up the characters you replay with so it won't be as samey.

I don't like the idea of locking out content.

Welcome to BGG Oareo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DobbelB wrote:
A less harsh way would be this:

-consider any played scenario as completed, always read the completion text
-looted treasure chests are the only reward allowed
-don't get any xp or gold
-don't get prosperity or reputation changes

-items as a scenario reward always go into the shop
-scenario unlocks and achievement are gained
-play with permadeath

We like those four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.