Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Kingsley Frizzera
Italy
Trento
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi folks,
I have recently seen a poll about Vassal with arctic percentage regarding its use, but I'm asking myself if there is anyway a group of players (wargamers) from BGG that plays there on a regular basis.
If there is I'd like to know them!

Let me explain a little...
I was contrary to play online just only some weeks ago...but I've been "forced" to use it and now I find it a good way to meet new people from around the world and cut the distances between many of us.
Obviously, playing face to face is ever another world!

I'm talking about Vassal because is one of the few programs I use to play wargames online, but if someone else has better suggestions, I'll be very happy to try new solutions

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression, albeit anecdotal, is that most people organize VASSAL games with opponents in advance rather than looking for a live "pick-up" game whenever they're in the mood for a game (which is how online gaming often works). So it's less of a playing "there," and more of a looking for opponents wherever and using VASSAL to facilitate the game.

Here at BGG, there is a monthly Geeklist where people post games their looking to play and how they want to play it (live, PBEM). Here is the link to this month's list: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/233639/vassalskypecyberbo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Macc
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advance After Combat join this guild, they seem to play quite a bit of VASSEL. Youll get geekmail to alert you when someone posts for a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
What Rex said. Ask around as much as possible for people to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Trento
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd be delighted to join the guild!
But only problem for playing in real-time is the time itself...As I see, you're all americans , with the european time (mine is UTC+1) is a little mess to organize anything!
When here is evening, by you is midday laugh
To play I will defy time and space! I promise!

By the way this post has make me thinking about how many interesting threads are on this site and how many I miss every time!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Schneider
United States
Oro Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I've been involved in a really neat group of war gamers that as a group has been around since 1965!

https://www.ahiks.com/AHIKS/Home.html

This group is a great place to meet and play war games with folks (face to face, via email, etc.).

This group also publishes an outstanding newsletter.

I was the Vice President a few years ago - good people!

Bert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmb
I've also been recently introduced to the Wargamers Club for Gentlemen on facebook. A group of guys that play video game wargames (ala Matrix Games' stuff) together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
biancoenero wrote:

But only problem for playing in real-time is the time itself...As I see, you're all americans , with the european time (mine is UTC+1) is a little mess to organize anything!
When here is evening, by you is midday laugh

There's a handful of European VASSAL players over at GrogHeads.com
Check in the forums there and send up a flare; you'll get a couple of players weigh in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Trento
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wow guys! What a lot on informations and useful links! Thanks!

I've registered both on AHIKS and Grogheads!

We'll see...hope to catch someone there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also try the VASSAL Wargamers Europe group on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/VassalWargamersEurope/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I play on Vassal all the time, sometimes online with the opponent at the same time, a lot of the time PBEM file exchanges by email. The people I am playing with I arranged to play beforehand, not through the Vassal online server interface. I think that is the norm. I am lucky if I can get a face to face opponent for 1 day every 2 months, whereas with Vassal I can have multiple games going with a turn a day, and mutual online sessions on many weekends as well. (It is easy to mix those into a PBEM, or that that way and continue PBEM etc).

You can easily use BGG or Consimworld forums to arrange a Vassal opponent.

FWIW...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.