Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still forming my opinion on this game. I am not sure it's a great game but I am certainly having fun playing it,although I am not sure how long that will last.

However I do think it is one of the easiest games to teach ever, which makes it a great gateway or game nightgame. Here is how I go about it.

1) Set the theme. Emphasise we are in a cave, need to get out, but we are stepping into the unknown

2) Allow the newbies to look at the player boards and select who they want to be. As the experienced player select whatever makes sense of what is left (ie the medic or bodyguard!)

3) Have everyone read out their special powers. They won't fully understand them but by reading them out they buy into their character.

4) Place all the meeples on the starting tile.

5) Then explain all the actions on the basic side of the player aid cards

6) Do NOT explain all the hazards. After all they are stepping into the unknown (see 1) above) and therefore the very fact they don't know what is going on is thematic. If anyone asks about certain things (eg how many horrors are there) just shrug your shoulders and say 'who knows?'

7) As the various hazard TILES are drawn, explain what they are.

In this way you can get playing within 5 minutes, and players don't get bored and forget a long list of rules. I have done it 3 or 4 times now and it works really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Weston-super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like this would work really well. I do have two situational thoughts though:

I generally only play with 2 or 3 people, in which situation they'd have to take two characters each and I'd encourage them to take either the bodyguard or medic as one of their pair. They can then take both their chaps exploring together in relative safety if they wish.

Also gas needs to be explained when the Hazard pops up if a Tile hasn't appeared yet in order to stop folks exploring, but that probably goes without saying (even though I'm doing so anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.