Popular Tags: [View All]
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This action is a little confusing in the rules. The rules read:

1) "Only if a player cannot carry out an action at all, he draws an action card as compensation and takes it into his hand.

If I read this right, then if the active player placing a disk cannot carry out one of the two actions then he may draw a card. To me the key words are "an action."

Allowing the active player to do this is the previous rule that states that the active player "has to conduct at least one of the two connected actions."

Is this correct?

2) On the other hand, in regard to second and third player disks at the location, the rules read:

"If the players owning the second or third activated disc cannot perform both actions, they may draw 2 action cards."

The example given in the rule book is as follows:

"Now, Angelika activates her red disc. As she does not have any resources in her warehouses, she chooses to conduct the contribute action first and the wood action second. Thus, she draws an action card and gains a wood."

If I read this right, then if the second or third players cannot take one of the two actions, they may take one action card and conduct the second action. If they cannot take both actions then they may take two action cards.

Is this correct?

Thank you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All correct. You draw a card for each action you are entitled to but cannot take any part of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
All correct. You draw a card for each action you are entitled to but cannot take any part of.

I may be saying the same thing as you, but it's my understanding that the first player must play one of the two actions even if that means using a current card in his hand to conduct an action. The first player cannot simply place a disk at a spot where he knows he can't take either action and take two cards. Or, in other words, if he places a disk and can't take either action he must substitute one of those actions with a card action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
dkeisen wrote:

I may be saying the same thing as you, but it's my understanding that the first player must play one of the two actions even if that means using a current card in his hand to conduct an action. The first player cannot simply place a disk at a spot where he knows he can't take either action and take two cards. Or, in other words, if he places a disk and can't take either action he must substitute one of those actions with a card action.

We're not. I did not discuss either way requirements about the active player and where disks are placed. I just said that assuming the placement is legal, he or she gets a card for any action that cannot be taken at all.

That said, I would state your last sentence differently and do not think it is correct as written. If he or she cannot take either action, then the disk can not be placed. There is no substitution of actions. At least one of the two actions must be taken, at least in part. The player might play some cards before taking the required action, but the action is 100% required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand from the rules, the cards are played before or after each of the two disk actions are played.

Dave thank you for your explanation. Wording and semantics are important when interpreting rules for a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.