Justin Berman
United States
White River Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I received this and already punched and sorted it. I can't wait (love the other 7 COIN games). Some clarifications on components (hope this hasn't been asked before):

-- The rulebook states there are three four sided dice (gray) and four six sided dice (blue, black, red, green). My six-sided, no problem. My four sided are actually eight-seided (but probably just range 1-4 so that is ok), BUT they are two green and one black. Is this correct? It is different than the cited gray.

-- Also, I received two extra pawns: two blue and two red; where one blue and red was cited in the book.

Clarification on the dice would be appreciated. Cheers!

Justin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j-berman wrote:
Hi all,

I received this and already punched and sorted it. I can't wait (love the other 7 COIN games). Some clarifications on components (hope this hasn't been asked before):

-- The rulebook states there are three four sided dice (gray) and four six sided dice (blue, black, red, green). My six-sided, no problem. My four sided are actually eight-seided (but probably just range 1-4 so that is ok), BUT they are two green and one black. Is this correct? It is different than the cited gray.

-- Also, I received two extra pawns: two blue and two red; where one blue and red was cited in the book.

Justin

I don't know about the dice, but if you count the wooden pieces I'll bet you'll find that some spares were included. That's probably the case with these extra pawns.

I believe Liberty or Death and Falling Sky both included one extra of every piece in every color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j-berman wrote:
Hi all,

Justin

I got the same dice. I assume there was a change after they printed the rule book. The colors of the dice are irrelevant to gameplay in any case. They have generally included a die for each faction of its own color, for the factions that need them, but it doesn’t matter for gameplay.

Agree that the blue and red pawns are extra. There is generally one extra of each type of piece so you do need to count them all when you do the first setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgane Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
j-berman wrote:
Hi all,

Justin

Indeed, the colour of the dice is irrelevant. The two green d4s (yes, they are eight-sided but with a 1-4 range, apparently these are the preferred shape for d4s nowadays...) are just a reminder that the Scotti (green faction) typically only roll a max of 2 dice when raiding, unlike the Saxons who can roll 3, but this is really for flavour. We were not sure we would get the two colours when we finalized the playbook, so went for the safe description.

Re the extra pawns, you must have seen that you have indeed extras of most everything. You only use 1 blue and 1 red for play (you may even dispense with them if you find you have no trouble keeping track of what the current VP thresholds are for the Civitates and Dux).

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GouyonRety wrote:
The two green d4s (yes, they are eight-sided but with a 1-4 range, apparently these are the preferred shape for d4s nowadays...)

Eight-sided dice roll better than four-sided ones...

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgane Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
GouyonRety wrote:
The two green d4s (yes, they are eight-sided but with a 1-4 range, apparently these are the preferred shape for d4s nowadays...)

/Oerjan
Well, that's what they told me. Now, I never had trouble with 4-sided dice. All that RPG practice in my younger days I guess... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oerjan wrote:
GouyonRety wrote:

/Oerjan

When I roll a d4, I place the d4 in a random orientation in my hand and then I toss it high so it spins randomly in the air. When it falls splat on the table without moving further, it's pretty well randomized.

When I roll a d8, I place the face I want in a specific orientation in my hand, and then I roll the die close to the table with a specific amount of force. It rolls "better" and looks more randomized, but it's not.

d8's numbered 1-4 are cool. Nice touch. d20's numbered 1-4 would have been especially cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
GouyonRety wrote:

/Oerjan

Plus they hurt less when you step on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Oerjan wrote:

/Oerjan

When I roll a d4, I place the d4 in a random orientation in my hand and then I toss it high so it spins randomly in the air. When it falls splat on the table without moving further, it's pretty well randomized.

The problem with those high tosses is that many players are unable to control exactly where the D4 will fall splat. In Pendragon, this can have very unfortunate effects indeed if the die should happen to land on the map board, due to the very large number of units and markers there - including three types that are placed on top of other pieces in order to track their status. When there's s mix of Foederati and Warbands from 2+ Factions in a space, and some of them carry Plunder... then you really, really don't want to risk upsetting the board by dropping a die on it

The risk of such unfortunate effects occurring is further increased if several D4s are to be rolled simultaneously or in very rapid succession. Given that the core Scotti and Saxon Command involves rolling up to 4x 2D4 or 3x 3D4 every time it is executed (and there's one Event where you roll up to 9x 3D4), there is a LOT of multiple-D4 rolls in Pendragon...

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgane Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:
Oerjan wrote:

/Oerjan

The problem with those high tosses is that many players are unable to control exactly where the D4 will fall splat. In Pendragon, this can have very unfortunate effects indeed if the die should happen to land on the map board, due to the very large number of units and markers there - including three types that are placed on top of other pieces in order to track their status. When there's s mix of Foederati and Warbands from 2+ Factions in a space, and some of them carry Plunder... then you really, really don't want to risk upsetting the board by dropping a die on it

The risk of such unfortunate effects occurring is further increased if several D4s are to be rolled simultaneously or in very rapid succession. Given that the core Scotti and Saxon Command involves rolling up to 4x 2D4 or 3x 3D4 every time it is executed (and there's one Event where you roll up to 9x 3D4), there is a LOT of multiple-D4 rolls in Pendragon...

Regards,
Oerjan
Good point. Which is why I strongly suggest rolling dice in the upturned box lid, or a dice tray if you have one... :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GouyonRety wrote:
Oerjan wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:
Oerjan wrote:

/Oerjan

Regards,
Oerjan
Good point. Which is why I strongly suggest rolling dice in the upturned box lid, or a dice tray if you have one... :-)

Even then, the 8-sided "D4" is preferrable. I've met plenty of players who would miss the box lid with high caltrop-style-D4 tosses...

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say that the early d4 design importance was having a complete set of platonic solids for your roleplaying game (I'm old enough to remember 20-sided d10s). Of course, then there is the whole controversy of where to number the four sided platonic solid (along the base or at the point)... but roleplayers figured it out without resorting to the user manual. Maybe boardgamers just don't want one extra rule to interpret?

(Of course, this is a totally tongue-in-cheek post. If you're offended, I'm sorry. In the words of Craig Ferguson: "Its a joke. A joke. Canadians get it.")

Edit: If you are curious, four sided dice are the oldest design also - so platonic solids of foot injury might have been thematically appropriate, but probably not much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shonai Dweller
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just chuck it down the (Roman watchtower themed) dice tower. Couple of bounces and it's well randomized. Looks nice next to the board too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulWRoberts wrote:
I don't know about the dice, but if you count the wooden pieces I'll bet you'll find that some spares were included. That's probably the case with these extra pawns.

I believe Liberty or Death and Falling Sky both included one extra of every piece in every color.

Yes, based on inventorying components in my game purchases, it's very clear that at some point in the last couple years or so GMT adopted a policy of including one extra cube/pawn/disk of each color in its games. For games like COIN where there is a specific limit to the number of available pieces a faction can have, I count out all the cubes/pawns/disks and bag the extras separately when I first get the game so that it's not necessary to recount the pieces each time I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shonai_Dweller wrote:
Just chuck it down the (Roman watchtower themed) dice tower. Couple of bounces and it's well randomized. Looks nice next to the board too.

And here are my illustrated instructions for how to make a dice tower from a shoe box and lid.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/54975/shoe-boxlid-dic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgane Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
Even then, the 8-sided "D4" is preferrable. I've met plenty of players who would miss the box lid with high caltrop-style-D4 tosses...

/Oerjan
Never drink and play... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GouyonRety wrote:
Oerjan wrote:

/Oerjan

That was when they were sober. It would probably have been safer if they'd been drunk - then they wouldn't've hit the table either, if they'd been able to find the dice at all...

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
GouyonRety wrote:
Oerjan wrote:

/Oerjan

That was when they were sober. It would probably have been safer if they'd been drunk - then they wouldn't've hit the table either, if they'd been able to find the dice at all...

/Oerjan
That's just a reason for the caltrop style: walk around the room in your socks you will find it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tcaalaw wrote:
PaulWRoberts wrote:

Yes, based on inventorying components in my game purchases, it's very clear that at some point in the last couple years or so GMT adopted a policy of including one extra cube/pawn/disk of each color in its games. For games like COIN where there is a specific limit to the number of available pieces a faction can have, I count out all the cubes/pawns/disks and bag the extras separately when I first get the game so that it's not necessary to recount the pieces each time I play.

I'm glad they are doing this. I live with damaged pieces a lot, but I can appreciate it when I find one of my blue hillforts had one tower half sliced off and I could get a new piece instantly. It makes me wonder if they were spending a lot more shipping out single or small quantity damage replacements that it was just cheaper to add in one extra of each piece to mitigate defects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.