Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: How varied are your gameplay/storyline choices in Gloomhaven? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hegalian_Crisis!!
United States
flag msg tools
Hi all,

(First, sorry if this is a re-post but my first try did something wierd when I clicked submit and hasn't shown up on the forum).

I'm looking at Gloomhaven as a gateway to get my kids into roleplaying. From what I can tell the game is amazing as a dungeon crawler but what I really also need is something that gives a storyline that's more than: go here-fight monsters, go there-fight monsters. For example, something that allows them to meet various NPCs and make choices about what to do next based on their interactions. So far we've played Runebound but that was too limiting as far as character development and the adventuring options like I described above. My end goal is that they play DnD or Pathfinder but that's down the road bc I really don't have the time to create a campaign for them; at least not until I get at least some "buy in". My kids are pretty creative in that they like to draw characters and build stories around them but making the jump to an RPG is a bit daunting to this very busy dad. (Note: except for Runebound I have exactly zero experience with RPGs). I really think we as a family could all enjoy RPGs but I'm fearful if don't "get it right" this time, they'll start rolling their eyes the next time I bring up RPGs. My thought is that with its beautiful components Gloomhaven might get them interested. Not to mention that it's obviously a very well made game for what I think it's trying to do.

So I'm hoping someone can help me. Also, if you can tell me a better game for what I'm trying to accomplish I'd appreciate it!

Thanks for any help!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Robinson
Canada
flag msg tools
I love this game but its much more "go here kill monsters then go there and kill monsters" than an RPG experience.

Gloomhaven is not really an RPG in the sense of D&D or games like that. Gloomhaven is a tactical card-based dungeon combat game with a frosting of RPG elements. Generally in a 2 hour play session (1 scenario) you will only have two interactions with NPCs and you only have two options in those interactions (A or B).

I really do not think that this is what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Santiago
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Talk to me about solo-gaming!
badge
Here I come to save the day!
mbmbmbmbmb
How old are the kids? As far as recommendations go, if you're looking for a roleplaying game that doesn't require work on your part then check out the recent release Legacy of Dragonholt. It's like a choose your own path gamebook. It's not much of a game but stresses the roleplaying aspects and is sort of an open world. Plus, it's cooperative so you can all enjoy it together. Not very heavy on rules at all, and it has great writing, characters, and decisions.

My kids are 11, and 9, and are enjoying the story in Legacy of Dragonholt. It's not my cup of tea but it may be what you're looking for until they can actually handle a real RPG.

The other more "gamey" RPG lite is Mice & Mystics. Though there isn't enough there for adults, it is a more dungeon crawly game that younger kids can handle.

One more recommendation to look out for, that is the yet to be released is Stuffed Fables. Playing as kids toys, and stuffed animals, it looks to be an adventure book that has a 7+ age on the box. Has some story elements and choices there as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found myself more into the characters of "Mice and Mystic", as far as story goes, than Gloomhaven. Gloomhaven is a very thematic combat game, with an amazing card driven mechanic-- the story has some forks, but nothing feels major.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hegalian_Crisis!!
United States
flag msg tools
What took you all so long?? That was like, 10 minutes!!

Legacy of Dragonholt looks like a major possibility. I was wondering how I missed it but it might be because I've been trying to avoid card games. One of my kids has autism & I'm worried she needs an actual physical board to grasp most games. Kids with autism usually have major talents (we think our daughter has a photographic memory among other "amazements") but other things can be a major challenge. The ability to see and touch a game map & pieces etc is something we have to always consider.

Mice & Mystics is also a game I've been considering.

The place I'm coming from is I used to play moderate to heavy hex-and-counter wargames as a kid so I'm sooo fighting the urge to throw the kids directly into something like Mage Knight or whatever the Fantasy version of Squad Leader is. Maybe someday...

Thanks so much for the responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagi Springfield
msg tools
Speaking from personal experience this game can invoke a similar response as an RPG without actually being one. What I mean is, I run a weekly group with the same players in the same way a DnD group would. We each have a character which, while not as detailed as Pathfinder, have each become our own.

Example: Our Tinkerer Baron von, "Stelthechld" (Pronounced steal the child) found a map to an island with treasure. On the way we had an event which led to us finding a few berry bushes. Cue us literally laughing so hard at finding "evil" berry bushes in the middle of the ocean that I actually pulled a muscle (I drew the bushes on the map afterwards in the middle of the ocean).

Even before that we had our Brute "Zuul" become our tank... which he failed at in scenario 1 by missing 3 consecutive attacks (Yes on separate turns...), and then die in the second scenario due to some bad luck. Now we'd screwed up a rule saying he could lose cards from his discard to not take damage so we brought him back. Only since he 'died' now he's Zombie Zuul, Necromancer Speedbump, who's Irish and helps guide tourists around Evil Berry Bushes...

My point is, this game is not an RPG save for a few things, but it gives a really good framework to create your own stories around in a very similar way, if you can get the right people together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll Echo Mice & Mystics and add Arkham Horror (or Eldritch Horror), as other candidates for narrative driven games that work as gateway RPGs.

BUT: I'm moderately worried about you running your first P&P RPG with a self-created scenario AND novice (and relatively young) players.

D&D and Pathfinder are very heavy systems, leaning more on the "combat simulation" take of RPGs, and have a lot of factors to keep track of. This can go catastrophically wrong.

My wife, for example, won't go near Pathfinder again after her first game was with a rules lawyer munchkin DM who insisted on making the builds for the players "because they won't get it right". The first scene turned in to a 2-3 hour fight and when that ended, everyone except the DMs SO went "naaah, let's play something else."

You should consider participating in a few sessions as a player before attempting to DM, and when you DM, begin with some pre-made adventures before building your own.

That being said, Gloomhaven can work as a combat ruleset for a P&P RPG, and be combined with D&D character sheets (that are referred to in all non-combat situations) to create a working RPG system.

If you intend to use GH as the gateway game, that's how I would go about it. Begin with GH campaign, then shift to custom scenarios, then combine GH and D&D/PF, and later experiment with D&D combat rules instead of GH.

Quote:
Now we'd screwed up a rule saying he could lose cards from his discard to not take damage so we brought him back.

That's actually correct: He can lose two cards from discard (or one from hand) to prevent damage. (Page 28, Character Damage)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hegalian_Crisis!!
United States
flag msg tools
Yes, I'm pretty much going toward Mice & Mystics as a "gateway" or what have you. I don't think it's at all deep enough for me but I think would be fun for them.

I DO LIKE the idea of using Gloomhaven for combat resolution. I'm surprised by RPGs. When I first started looking I thought they'd be essentially a MUCH "deeper" version of the free pc game "Battle for Wesnoth" (which my kids really like) - at least as far a combat goes. Wesnoth is mostly a fantasy wargame, not an RPG. But combat consists of characters whacking at each other a few times and equally matched characters probably won't kill one another in a single turn. Thus on their next turn they can either decide to break off combat or continue the fight. Bottom line, combat is resolved at lightning speed vs RPGs but still fun ("oh man! I beat that orc with only 1 HP left! woohoo!"). An hour or two to resolve combat would NOT work for us so even if we ever do progress to a full-fledged RPG I'd need to find some lighter system for combat resolution (or a REALLY engaging system like Gloomhaven).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.