Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Charterstone» Forums » General

Subject: My rocky start: Sticker borders, income, and starting building "costs". rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished Game 1 with my wife and 6 year old daughter. We all very much enjoyed it and will probably play Game 2 later on today. With that said, it was a rocky start because I missed a few 'obvious' things that caused me problems in understanding game play. Here they are:

1. The little purple circle with the '1' on each of the starting buildings is NOT the coin cost to use the building. It is the end of CAMPAIGN victory points for the building. There is no coin cost to use the starting buildings in each Charter.

2. Because of my #1 problem, I was convinced that there had to be an 'Income' phase that I was missing. It turns out that there will eventually be such an action, but not in the first game. Any time you see the Income symbol in Game 1 (two round opposing arrows), ignore it.

3. Most 'Rule' and 'Story' cards from the Index have a "Extract card #XX from the index and read" message at the bottom of the card. This message is on the excess sticker border that is very easy to pull off and accidentally throw away before you see it. Be aware of this. Even if you are aware of this, don't forget to extract the next card. We got a little excited sometimes and simply forgot to extract the next card.

Fortunately, we discovered all our mistakes before they affected the game, but we could have saved ourselves a bit of frustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
msg tools
badge
It's so FLUFFY!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We did not make those errors, thanks to the Watch it Played video BUT when we went to the Charterstone building for the first time in the game, we forgot to go back to the last card we pulled from the index and finish reading it/extract card #14. So we played the whole game not doing so.

At the end of the game I noticed it and was like oops! It did not effect game play as I'd watched the video so knew what to do, we just were playing 'catch up' at the end of the game. When I play the game again (I bought the re-charge pack) I'll be placing it on the board in the guidepost location so it's a much more visible reminder. I just set it on top of the Archive box and then forgot about it. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for someone who has not played yet (but will this week, we hope)...can you be more specific (as to what is easy to miss; you missed)?

(and i really don't care about 'spoilers' here...just what is it that was missed, so hopefully we won't)

thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blackburn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you open crates, the reference is right inside the Index lid. But in order to fit on the inside of the Index lid, it's tiny.

There's a separate page with the same information in larger type. You might want to use that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
We did not make those errors, thanks to the Watch it Played video BUT when we went to the Charterstone building for the first time in the game, we forgot to go back to the last card we pulled from the index and finish reading it/extra card #14. So we played the whole game not doing so.

I'm glad it wasn't just us! We did figure it out eventually, and we played the whole game correctly even without seeing the rules that we didn't pull until the end instead of the beginning. It's easy to get excited by information on a card and not get to the end of it. We played two games last night (one of the spouses present said that it sounded like we were all trying to do our taxes together), and I am eager to continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
for someone who has not played yet (but will this week, we hope)...can you be more specific (as to what is easy to miss; you missed)?

(and i really don't care about 'spoilers' here...just what is it that was missed, so hopefully we won't)

thanks...

The biggest thing for me is that after reading a rules card, I forgot to go on to the next rules card (you are instructed to do so at the bottom of many of the cards). Since some of the new information is not immediately necessary, I didn't realize I missed the card until the end of the game. It didn't really affect the game itself, but the game end was confusing until I went back and read the missed cards.

If I were to start over, I would extract a complete string of cards first and then read all of them instead of extracting #14, reading it, then extracting #15 and reading it and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
1. The little purple circle with the '1' on each of the starting buildings is NOT the coin cost to use the building. It is the end of CAMPAIGN victory points for the building. There is no coin cost to use the starting buildings in each Charter.

I usually like to just read the rules to play a game but I had to go searching for this too and, because so many rules questions have been spoiler-ed off, eventually watched the video to work out what this purple circle was for. A simple line like 'ignore the purple circle for now' would have really helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.