L Foster

Ventura
California
msg tools
badge
Obsession begins where common sense ends.
mbmbmbmbmb
[I tried searching this question on BGG and didn't find it. If it's already been asked, please provide a link. I'd love to read the results.]

I had a conversation a few days ago with a couple gamer friends, both with collections larger than my own, and this question came up.

I could list example reasons, but that would be "leading the witness" so to say.

Why do you buy games that you do not plan on playing immediately?
They are expensive, take up room, and may not be any good...like buying a $70 book you never plan on opening to look at the pictures, let alone reading...

So, curiosity looming, why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Re: So why do you buy boardgames you don't plan on playing immediately?
elem3ntary wrote:
[I tried searching this question on BGG and didn't find it. If it's already been asked, please provide a link. I'd love to read the results.]

I had a conversation a few days ago with a couple gamer friends, both with collections larger than my own, and this question came up.

I could list example reasons, but that would be "leading the witness" so to say.

Why do you buy games that you do not plan on playing immediately?
They are expensive, take up room, and may not be any good...like buying a $70 book you never plan on opening to look at the pictures, let alone reading...

So, curiosity looming, why?

I don't. I plan to play them all fairly soon after buying them, and in general I do so.

Where I don't get to play them right away, there are generally circumstances out of my control intruding. For example, I bought Sagrada a few weeks ago. I've brought it to two gaming sessions since, but in each case we had 5 or even 6 people; Sagrada goes only to 4 players. So it is still waiting for a proper play (it has had a couple of improper plays, where I played by myself to learn it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben Lam
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I trade or buy used, so I'm an opportunistic acquirer. I'm a sucker for a good deal and most times they queue up on the stack of unplayed. Pre orders also suck me in. But those tend to go to the top of the list and push the rest back down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perceived Scarcity

Fear of Missing Out

Because the American Consumer can derive pleasure merely from the purchase, not just the use of a new item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought games just for parts of for "research".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it looks interesting.

I might be able to play it sometime. I think it will go OOP. I might find a Vassal opponent. Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
A dream can be a dream come true
badge
The grumpiest grump
mbmbmbmbmb
Two reasons.

One, I have been burned too many times with "Oh cool, this game looks neat, I'll have to buy it later" then when I go to buy it, it's out of print, or more expensive because of scarcity, etc. The most recent example of this is Sagrada. I saw it at Dice Tower Con and wanted to snag it, but decided to wait. Now it's really hard to find for under $100.

Two, I just like having a large selection of games to choose from.

Generally speaking, I always want to play any game I buy when I buy it. Unfortunately, sometimes my friends don't, so it goes on the shelf to be played a different day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason J
msg tools
The Easy Answer is because the Game is currently at an amazing price:

-Imperial Assault $40-buy

-Star Wars Rebellion $27-buy

-Twilight Imperium 3 $30-buy

-Escape Curse of Temple Big Box $20-Buy

etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Harmon
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
mb
I have a very seasonal job, so I often buy games during the summer months specifically so I can open a "new game" during the winter when money is tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Y
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy opportunistically, like CSI's recent "ding and dent" sale when I picked up Twilight Imperium 3 for $30. I then used unopened games as an incentive/reward for completing more arduous work projects, like grading final exams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
A dream can be a dream come true
badge
The grumpiest grump
mbmbmbmbmb
tardiswatcher wrote:
I have a very seasonal job, so I often buy games during the summer months specifically so I can open a "new game" during the winter when money is tight.

This is also a good reason. A lot of times I will have spurts of money come in, and I'll use that money to buy games I have been wanting, regardless of if I can play them immediately or not. Then, when I am tight on money again, but want something new, there we go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Rüscher
Germany
Paderborn
flag msg tools
badge
Brettspieler
mbmbmbmbmb
I've stopped buying games which don't hit the table a long time ago because I realized that games in my shelf which are not played make me sad. Buying games and not playing them is IMHO a great way to become unhappy.

https://www.becomingminimalist.com/buying-stuff-wont-make-yo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to buy used games, and when I find a seller with the game I want, I will look at what else they have for sale.
If they have one or two other games that look interesting, I will make them a bundle offer that reduces the price a bit, and the shipping cost is better when spread over two or three games.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Foster

Ventura
California
msg tools
badge
Obsession begins where common sense ends.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a couple weeks since I asked this question so I'll toss in my 2 cents.

For me it's hope.

I am primarily a solo gamer with limited time, but there are some games out there that have a theme or art style or reputation that I am particularly drawn to and hope that one day I'll be able to find an chance to play (Arkham Horror/Robinson Crusoe). I know I won't in the immediate future, but games can become nastily expensive when you're not looking (as Russell/Miller states), so buy now or cry later (Gloomhaven).
Kickstarter is an insidious habit as you're gambling money on a game that you're hoping functions well but you can't quite be sure will be, and may have a table footprint larger than you have available at the time (7TH Continent).

The trouble is that too many of these games I drift towards tend to be similar to ones I already own, so I worry if I buy what's 'new and hot', it's just going to replicate the experience already contained in another box, maybe just utilizing a different theme (Star Trek: Five Year Mission vs Ancient Terrible Things vs Elder Sign). So at the end of a long week, does this lead me to the tired thought of "Do I have time to figure out these new rules, or do I just play my old favorite?"

Thank you all for answering.

Drifting in self-analysis and inane pondering:
Am I collecting just to satisfy that Capitalistic craving to possess(As hinted at by B C Z and Gerald), or to chase an idealized gaming experience that must be better than last week's?
If I don't buy, am I having less fun than what I could be? Am I just trying to 'keep up with the Vasels'? Is that even a proper way to think? I crave, therefore I buy. I consume therefore I'm content? Is this the modern philosophy? Consumerism at the expense of contentedness?

In the end, do I own my possessions, or do they own me?
(Dang it, where's my phone?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.