6 Posts

Dice Throne: Season One» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monk's defensive ability and max Chi rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Legolas Greenleaf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Monk can gain Chi when defending which can immediately be used to cancel damage. My question is about the timing of using the Chi rolled when you are at or near Max Chi.

For example. Let's say the monk is at his max of 5 Chi and takes 7 damage. Could he wait to see how many Chi he rolls before using his current stack, or does he have to use that first and then make his defensive roll? So, let's say he rolls 2 Chi, could he block all 7 damage? Or would the 2 Chi be lost because he was already at his max of 5?

I'm guessing he has to use his Chi first and then use whatever Chi he gets from his roll afterwards, but I just wanted to be clear which way was right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
In my estimation, I would say that is it completely legal for the Monk to make a defensive roll (to see how much more Chi he can get), spend his stack of Chi, gain more Chi as a result of his defensive roll and spend that too.

The reason for this is because Status Effect tokens that can be spent, activate as though they were Instant Actions, meaning at any time and without restriction.

Chi can be spent at any time to reduce incoming damage by 1 per token spent. Seems pretty straightforward.

Even after the Defensive Roll, all players have one last chance to play Roll Phase Cards, Instant Actions, and any applicable Status Effects before offensive and defensive damage happen.

To say that a stack of Chi could not be spent prior to gaining more (for the purposes of damage prevention) from a defensive roll would impose a restriction on something that currently does not and should not have any restrictions.

Now, if you asked the if the same thing could be done after an Offensive roll to deal more damage, the answer would be no because the Chi status effect strictly prohibits spending tokens in the same turn as gaining them for this purpose.

Looking forward to seeing Manny's response to this. This is a great question you raised and the best I could do is offer my opinion and reasoning behind it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Trembley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
David has it correct. Well stated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Legolas Greenleaf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenten Leege
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I have a simple question! If you were at max chi and roll fist of strike II would you be able to spend your current chi, then gain 2 chi? Or would the timing be where you’d get the 2 chi while you already have max chi and is thus not gained? Thanks! Love the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trentenwarrior1 wrote:
I have a simple question! If you were at max chi and roll fist of strike II would you be able to spend your current chi, then gain 2 chi? Or would the timing be where you’d get the 2 chi while you already have max chi and is thus not gained? Thanks! Love the game!
We have always played it that you can spend Chi to reduce the damage before receiving Chi from the result of the defense roll. So yes, you could spend 2 Chi to reduce damage and gain it right back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.