Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: "At the start of combat" v AFB rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FINALLY got our first game of TI4 in today!
Just checking in case I've missed something in the rules; do abilities/techs that take place "at the start of combat" take place before AFB? What happens if both players have a an ability? (Does defender go first, or did I remember that from TI3?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RRG - Space Combat wrote:
67.2 If an ability occurs “before combat,” it occurs immediately
before the “Anti-Fighter Barrage” step.

RRG - Timing (p2) wrote:
If there are multiple abilities that players wish to resolve at the same
time, each player takes a turn resolving an ability in initiative order.
After each player has taken a turn, players again have a turn to resolve
abilities in initiative order. This process repeats until all players have
resolved all of the abilities they wish to resolve at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulings have shown that during the action phase, initiative order starts with the active player. So the attacker will almost always resolve an ability first if there is a tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah, must have read that section 3 times.... Thanks!

Quote:
Rulings have shown that during the action phase, initiative order starts with the active player.

Not to my knowledge - which rulings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also remember that the active player always resolves his abilities first during his turn.

EDIT:
It seems that I remembered it wrong. This applies only to action cards, otherwise it's pure initiative order.

Quote:
If there are multiple action cards that players wish to resolve at the same time during the action phase, each player takes a turn resolving one action card in initiative order, beginning with the active player. This process repeats until each player has resolved all the action cards that he wishes to resolve during that window.

To sum this up:
- action cards during action phase - initiative order staerting with the active player
- action cards during agenda or strategy phase - clockwise starting with the speaker
- agenda cards in agenda phase - clockwise starting with the player to the right left of the speaker
- abilities during action phase - initiative order
- secondary section of strategy card - clockwise starting with the player to the right left of the active player

So we have 5 different orders depending on what and when we resolve. I'm sure this could have been designed a little bit simpler...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
possumman wrote:
Not to my knowledge - which rulings?

Multiple rulings in multiple threads now, including BGG, reddit and the FFG forums. The rule 2.10 that defines timing for action cards is supposed to be how to resolve all timing disputes during the action phase.

Libero03 wrote:
I also remember that the active player always resolves his abilities first during his turn.

EDIT:
It seems that I remembered it wrong. This applies only to action cards, otherwise it's pure initiative order.

Quote:
If there are multiple action cards that players wish to resolve at the same time during the action phase, each player takes a turn resolving one action card in initiative order, beginning with the active player. This process repeats until each player has resolved all the action cards that he wishes to resolve during that window.

To sum this up:
- action cards during action phase - initiative order staerting with the active player
- action cards during agenda or strategy phase - clockwise starting with the speaker
- agenda cards in agenda phase - clockwise starting with the player to the right of the speaker
- abilities during action phase - initiative order
- secondary section of strategy card - clockwise starting with the player to the right of the active player

So we have 5 different orders depending on what and when we resolve. I'm sure this could have been designed a little bit simpler...

You remembered it correctly (except that voting starts to the left of the speaker, not the right). According to the designers, the rulebook is in error. I really wish they would release an FAQ already.

edit: Here's the oldest post I found containing the ruling from FFG, for anyone who insists on proof but doesn't want to look for it themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a really useful link, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.