Hide
3 Posts

Quartermaster General: 1914» Forums » Rules

Subject: Army Movement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Miehe
msg tools
Sorry this might be a stupid question. But I read the rules and looked through them but couldn't find a good answer.

When I look at the starting position I see that Belgium is empty. So do I understand it correctly that for Germany to capture it they would have to build and army there? Or do they have to battle into an empty space?

What happens if I attack and defeat an enemy army. The country it is in becomes vacant then. Will I be able to move with the attacking army into it or do I have to build into this area as long at it is empty in order to conquer it?

Also if there are armies of two players in a country defending they defend and loose together if they are attacked?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jupiler wrote:
Sorry this might be a stupid question. But I read the rules and looked through them but couldn't find a good answer.

When I look at the starting position I see that Belgium is empty. So do I understand it correctly that for Germany to capture it they would have to build and army there? Or do they have to battle into an empty space?

What happens if I attack and defeat an enemy army. The country it is in becomes vacant then. Will I be able to move with the attacking army into it or do I have to build into this area as long at it is empty in order to conquer it?

Also if there are armies of two players in a country defending they defend and loose together if they are attacked?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

With a Build Army card (or any other card that lest you build), you may build into any empty space (or a space that is occupied by one of your allies) that is adjacent to one of your supplied pieces. Germany can, for example, play a Build Army card to take Belgium on their first turn.

You can battle into an empty space, but that's rare and usually a sign of desperation. For example, Germany can also take Belgium by using the "Schlieffen Plan" card to battle Belgium and then build into it, but that's usually a waste of a pretty powerful card. Occasionally you just aren't getting any Build Armies, though, and it's worth it.

When you win an battle, all enemy armies are removed (they all had a chance to defend with prepared Reinforce cards, though). The space is then empty; to occupy it yourself, you'll generally have to build in on a subsequent turn (or, more likely, they will). There are some Event cards that let you battle and then build (e.g. Schlieffen Plan, A Place in the Sun, Franz Ferdinand Avenged, Mark IV Tanks). Generally speaking, you will never be moving your armies in this game, just placing them (and occasionally removing them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur O'Dwyer
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You can battle into an empty space, but that's rare and usually a sign of desperation.

Just to clarify and amplify: You can battle into an empty space, but that still doesn't let you put an army piece into that empty space! The only way to put an army piece into a space is to "build" or "recruit" there.

Quote:
For example, Germany can take Belgium by using the "Schlieffen Plan" card to battle Belgium and then build into it

The thing that lets Germany take Belgium in this case is the and then build into it part. The initial "battle" is essentially wasted and irrelevant.

Quote:
Generally speaking, you will never be moving your armies in this game, just placing them (and occasionally removing them).

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.