Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I searched through the fora the whole evening and tried to find out what I should prepare for our game which is planed during xmas time. We are planning to play with four and I own the base game and both expansions. I got some hints but in the end the massive amount of variants and options let me still feel a little bit lost. Therefore I would like to ask you to have a look at what we want to use. Maybe you can give us some more hints, also to help other players coming to this forum in the future.

- A preset Map for 4 players
- The tiles from the base game and both expansions
- Race specific technologies from the base game and both expansions
- The set of strategy cards from the Shattered Empire expansion
- The action cards from the base game and both expansions
- The secret objectives from the base game and both expansions
- The public objectives from the Shattered Empire expansion
- 'Wormhole Nexus' from the Shattered Empire expansion
- 'Tactical Retreats' from the Shattered Empire expansion
- 'Custodians of Mecatol Rex' from the Shattered Empire expansion
- 'Flagships' from the Shards of the Throne expansion
- 'Mechnized Units' from the Shards of the Throne expansion

I would also like to prepare a random set of three factions for each player and send them the set a week before the game will happen. This gives them the chance to select a race without ruffle.

That's it (I hope). Do you see something I missed? Do you think we should do something different? Please remember, we are not completely new to the game and in general experienced players but we have played it not that often during the last five to six years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play with Mech Units, they are very simple, easy to use, and very fun to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
Play with Mech Units, they are very simple, easy to use, and very fun to play with.

Many thanks for your answer, Scott. Really apreciate your hint. I have added the mechanized units to the list.

But how about the rest of the list? Do you think it will work? Or do you see something we should do differently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me again,

anybody else who can/would like to say something about the idea explained above? Would really be nice to get some more hints/tipps about some dos and don'ts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the type of game you want to play. If you value balance or just fun stories happening on the table, the setup will be completely different. My group likes trashy fun so we add Distant Suns, its space equivalent and leaders, since they all add chaos to the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to make for little chaos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
I could not think of playing a game without Leaders. My group loves them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't play without Territorial Distant Suns, Deep Space Domain counters, Space Mines and a larger board.

Unless I was playing with complete newbies that I was worrying about, I'd also play with Mech units, Mercs, Flagships, Leaders and Factories/Refineries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay folks, all nice suggestions! But how about the list I made (see above)? Do you think it's working? Do you think it's working well? Do you think we should remove something (things to add where already mentioned I think)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
SFRR wrote:

Many thanks for your answer, Scott. Really apreciate your hint. I have added the mechanized units to the list.

But how about the rest of the list? Do you think it will work? Or do you see something we should do differently?

I think your list is excellent, and very workable for a 1st game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
I could not think of playing a game without Leaders. My group loves them.

Love Leaders, really adds to the flavor of each Great Race...you need a cheat sheet though for the 4 leader types for each player, with the die rolls for what happens to them if a combat is lost (space battle vs invasion combat). Admirals make buying 1 DN worth the cost (RAW 1xd10 DN's aren't worth the cost compared to other items you can produce with 5 resources), 10 out of 16 Great Races have Admirals (IIRC). Leaders are considered "too much extra brain work" though for a lot of 1st time players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.