5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Bolt Action 2nd Edition Osprey Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lionel G

Washington
msg tools
My local game retailer is blowing out their entire inventory for this game at 50% off. I already own Flames of War and wanted to know if this WW2 game and some figures, vehicles etc. are worth picking up form this retailer?

Bottom line, is the game any good? Does it have re-play value? Is it worth investing in even at 50%?

Retailer claims they are dropping the line because the manufacturer is difficult to deal with and obtain merchandise from them.

Thank you in advance to all who reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Scottsville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there! Bolt Action is a great game. It is a *miniature* game though, therefore you will always want to buy more. Warlord games suggests 28mm scale, though it can be played at 20mm and I have seen it converted down to 15mm (Flames of War scale). It is platoon level combat. The unique gimmick of BA is each unit in your platoon has an action die. You and your opponent each put their dice into a common bag and you draw, whoevers die is drawn activates a unit of their choice. As you can see there is no you go I go and can lead to some tense situations! The smallest size game I would suggest to play is 500pts and I normally play 1000-1250. There are plenty of battle reports on youtube, may e watch a few before you buy? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4aJGzJDiKMg Is a good instructional video from Beasts of War with Warlord Games staff explaining the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game but it's one I've looked into and in my opinion it looks pretty good. I know if my local shop was selling it off half price I'd certainly give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it once and it was a enjoyable game, It better as a 2 player game tham multible player game.

If you interested, it would be worth it to pick up the rules and the miniatures can be used for any rules systems.

Which contry do you live, it may be a import problem with the retailer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Its a great game but with any miniature game make sure you have a community/ group to play it with. Nothing is worse than dropping hundreds of dollars into a game system then showing up at your game store and no one plays it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.