15 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Essential expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anónimo Obviamente
Portugal
flag msg tools
Buying this for a friend for Christmas, I am 100% certain she will love it since she's a huge Lovecraft nut but I am also 100% certain she will never ever buy an expansion for it. So I'm going to get her the base game and either 2 or 3 expansions.

Which are the absolute best of the bunch and which combination will create the better overall play experience in general? Explaining why would be welcomed, since I know what she likes and dislikes.

I know Forsaken Lore is bound to be one of them since it's so vital, but I'd like to get either one big one or two small ones, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are all pretty solid. Forsaken Lore is considered the most essential since it contains more mysteries for the Ancient Ones and really should have been included in the base game. After that it mostly comes down to personal preference. You can't go wrong with any of them really. I like Strange Remnants personally since it has a focus on ancient runes which I find interesting. So those would probably be the 2 I went with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small are better bang for the buck. If she's the kind of consumer that will never proxy or search online, get her Strange Remnants, since that will give her both Focus and Preludes, and maybe print a copy of the FAQ & Errata, include that with the gift: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/6d/33...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Astrophe
msg tools
mbmbmb
Like the above, small box for sure. I'd recommend Forsaken Lore and Strange Remnants and you're ready to rock!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anónimo Obviamente
Portugal
flag msg tools
Ok then, Forsaken Lore and Strange Remnants it is! Thanks, guys!

Would Carcosa or Cities in Ruin significantly improve the experience in any way? I can do 3 expansions if all 3 are the smaller type.

Seems like she'd be more than fine with just those 2, though, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K New Power
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the two you thinking of, and there is a alot of content in them, start with them, i would say.

City in ruins are a twist to the game that make it even harder.

Some of the decks you will get to the expansions only work well with a specific ancient one.

The problem i would say, if there is to much content to a game it might be more difficult to get to the table the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Flaherty
Italy
Nanto
Vicenza
flag msg tools
Loves eurogames, but social deduction games are cool too!
badge
Venice Carnivale 2015 (best costume seen)
mbmbmbmbmb
All good advice I'll use also--plan on getting into this game in a big way over Xmas break...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
Boshia wrote:
I have the two you thinking of, and there is a lot of content in them, start with them, i would say. [...] The problem i would say, if there is too much content to a game it might be more difficult to get to the table the first time.

Exactly! FL and SR are enough to keep the game interesting for a long time. There is always next Christmas (or other holidays) to amp up the complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oxigen_Waste wrote:
Would Carcosa or Cities in Ruin significantly improve the experience in any way?

It depends on the sort of huge Lovecraft nut she is. Carcosa has Hastur, The King In Yellow, not a Lovecraft story (August Derleth) but beloved by many Cthulhu Mythos fans. Carcosa also brings in The Urchin, The Magician, The Dilettante, and The Gangster, all of whom are much appreciated by many Arkham Files players (for me, it's inconceivable not to include Jenny, and EH has a solid version of her). If none of that means anything to her, Carcosa is mostly just more stuff, useful mostly to keep things fresh if you are playing more than once or twice a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the expansions are essential. Just in the core game there are lots of scenarios that I'm sure most players have not completed before they bought expansions...I am one of those players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
None of the expansions are essential. Just in the core game there are lots of scenarios that I'm sure most players have not completed before they bought expansions...I am one of those players.

True. The main thing people say about Forsaken Lore is that it allows you to play twice without seeing all the same Encounter Cards (especially generic City Encounters and popular Location Encounters like Tokyo and London), and to play against an Ancient One twice without seeing all the same Mysteries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vand Lys
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think either Strange Remnants or Mountains of Madness is 100% essential. Both provide the player with focus tokens, and they change the game entirely for the better!

That said, I must admit I haven't gotten around playing

Eldritch Horror: Masks of Nyarlathotep (2018)
Eldritch Horror: Cities in Ruin (2017)
Eldritch Horror: The Dreamlands (2017)
Eldritch Horror: Signs of Carcosa (2016)

yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Vandlys wrote:
I think either Strange Remnants or Mountains of Madness is 100% essential. Both provide the player with focus tokens, and they change the game entirely for the better!

Agreed on focus being good, but you could just use the rules for focus without buying an expansion and have pennies of something for your focus tokens.

Who am I kidding? You should buy all the expansions. I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Now that people know more about Cities in Ruin is Strange Remnants still the best small box to get after Forsaken Lore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Now that people know more about Cities in Ruin is Strange Remnants still the best small box to get after Forsaken Lore?

I still think so.

Signs of Carcosa, Cities in Ruin and The Dreamlands are the last expansions I would buy, in that order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.