Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can a production go over 10 ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I AM Not A Number
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I already produce let's say 10 MC (or 10 Titanium for example) and I have a card that increases my MC (or Titanium) production by 1 or more, can I play the card ?
And can a production go over 10 ?
I am asking this because the player board has small arrows at 10 that can suggest production could be more than 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Forsberg
Sweden
Norrköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
The boardgaming chef!
badge
"Anyone can cook but only the fearless can be great"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it can

From the rulebook:

"Production tracks: If you gain production of a resource,
mark the new production level with your player marker.
Production is not limited to 10. Example: If you play a card
that increases your heat production 3 steps from 19 to 22 you
mark this by having 2 player markers on ’10’ and 1 marker on ’2’
on the production track above the heat box. Impressive!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wojciech slusarczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can go over 10.
Just put one of your player cubes on 10 and another one on 1 - for 11 production.
For further increases move single digit cube.

You can go even further - if you produce over 30, like 34 - put 3 cubes on 10 and one cube on 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the others have said, it can indeed go over ten.

However, we have done something a bit different than stacking cubes on the ten marker to indicate higher production amounts.
(This gets a bit "wobbly" when you have more than 19 production, (and in the last game I was in the thirties), so we came up with what we think is a better idea.)

What we do is just put a Gold marker to the left of the track, so that indicates to "add 10" to the amount shown. Two gold markers mean to "add 20", and so forth.)
We found this works better, (especially when you're running out of your color of cubes, which tends to happen when you have large production amounts later in the game).

My two cents worth anyway!

Great Game, IMHO!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markhelton wrote:

We found this works better, (especially when you're running out of your color of cubes, which tends to happen when you have large production amounts later in the game).

Really? We never came close to running out of any cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
markhelton wrote:

Really? We never came close to running out of any cubes.

Absolutely!

We had a three player game just last Friday night, (for our annual Christmas Game Day), and all three of us were running out of our color's cubes for the last half a dozen turns (generations).

I can honestly say that I would love to have another ten cubes or so for each of the colors. (That would probably give us enough.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markhelton wrote:
especially when you're running out of your color of cubes, which tends to happen when you have large production amounts later in the game

Er. This sounds like you're using player cubes to denote resources. You use the metallic cube to denote resources, not player cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
markhelton wrote:
especially when you're running out of your color of cubes, which tends to happen when you have large production amounts later in the game

Er. This sounds like you're using player cubes to denote resources. You use the metallic cube to denote resources, not player cubes.

True, (and we know this).

However, there are several blue cards that you have to put your cubes on to denote that you have used the actions on those blue cards for that generation. (And we used almost the entire deck, so there were a dozen or more of these in play.)

Plus to denote you have put your colored cubes for the milestones and awards that you have put into play.

Not to mention the dozen or so terrain tiles, (city tiles, greenery tiles and special tiles), that each player has put onto the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually just tap action cards when used - this makes it easier to differentiate from cards that have animals/microbes etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
I usually just tap action cards when used - this makes it easier to differentiate from cards that have animals/microbes etc.

Ah, must be nice to be young, (and play with young people), who can remember that you "tapped" a card each turn.

(When you get to be old farts like us, you'll need to put a marker down to remember which cards you've activated and which you haven't.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markhelton wrote:
losfp wrote:

Ah, must be nice to be young, (and play with young people), who can remember that you "tapped" a card each turn.

(When you get to be old farts like us, you'll need to put a marker down to remember which cards you've activated and which you haven't.

shake

Perhaps he meant turn the card over? Obviously not the ones with resources accumulating...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"tap" is a MTG term, which means to rotate the card 90 degrees to denote that you've used an ability. I obviously don't mean you physically tap the card!!! Who can remember that??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markhelton wrote:
We had a three player game just last Friday night, (for our annual Christmas Game Day), and all three of us were running out of our color's cubes for the last half a dozen turns (generations).

If you play three players with Venus Next (which adds tons of action cards) and fill up the map with tiles before the parameters are maxed, I can see how you might start to reach the limit... but that should be rare. If someone has many "point-resource-generating" action cards the other players would be interested in accelerating the end of the game to minimize that player's point scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JadedGamer wrote:
markhelton wrote:

If you play three players with Venus Next (which adds tons of action cards) and fill up the map with tiles before the parameters are maxed, I can see how you might start to reach the limit... but that should be rare. If someone has many "point-resource-generating" action cards the other players would be interested in accelerating the end of the game to minimize that player's point scoring.

Yeah, I tried to hurry it along, (once I figured that out), but the other player did not quite understand why I was hurrying the end of the game.
And to be honest, it was only his second game of TM and my third game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
"tap" is a MTG term, which means to rotate the card 90 degrees to denote that you've used an ability. I obviously don't mean you physically tap the card!!! Who can remember that??

Ah, I see. I've never been a MTG fan. Too bad my brother-in-law was not playing, as he is an avid MTG player, and might have thought of that.
Thanks for the tip though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:

The problem with tapping/turning the cards instead of putting a player cube on them is that it requires loads of more table space. Blue cards can easily be stacked with only the upper half visible which compresses their used space radically.

The resources is still used as metallic cubes on the cards, so the player cubes is well differentiated anyways
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are 3 players there are two bags of unused cubes. How about using those as "Used markers" or as "Production markers"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
markhelton wrote:
losfp wrote:
markhelton wrote:

However, there are several blue cards that you have to put your cubes on to denote that you have used the actions on those blue cards for that generation. (And we used almost the entire deck, so there were a dozen or more of these in play.)

Plus to denote you have put your colored cubes for the milestones and awards that you have put into play.

Not to mention the dozen or so terrain tiles, (city tiles, greenery tiles and special tiles), that each player has put onto the board.

Even with all that, I have only ever run out of player cubes in a long 2 player game (meaning 15 or 16 generations, which is uncommon). In that case we each borrowed a few from another color.

If you decide that you need more cubes though, I believe you can buy them on the geek store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Only if you are playing the Spinal Tap edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
markhelton wrote:
losfp wrote:
markhelton wrote:

Even with all that, I have only ever run out of player cubes in a long 2 player game (meaning 15 or 16 generations, which is uncommon). In that case we each borrowed a few from another color.

If you decide that you need more cubes though, I believe you can buy them on the geek store.

Yeah, I will admit that the game in question was a odd one. All three of us were focused on building up our production in as many categories as possible. None of us were really pushing along the temperature and especially the oxygen nearly as much as we could have been. Therefore the game went long. (As I said, we went through nearly the entire deck, which for a three player game is a LOT of cards.)

Thanks for the tip about the geek store though.
I will check that out.

(And yeah, we should have thought about borrowing cubes from the other two colors that were not in use. But we had thrown those in the box, and put the box out of sight, so we never even thought about that solution.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walse Selv
msg tools
I usually put a player cube when a card is used (and i remove it at the end of the turn) and metallic cubes for everything else on blue card(resources, microbes, animals...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.