Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Fallout» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hidden agenda when completing quests. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noki Hola
Sweden
Hallsberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could not find this qestion elsewhere in this forum.
Why is it that I am not supposed to know which faction I am supporting by finishing quests? The Star+ and Shield+ symbols are part of the hidden text on the quest card only to be revealed by the player on my right side when quest end. Some quests are obvious in ther support but other quests are not that clear on their outcome.
Have I missed something? Rule or strategy?

Thank you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones in the staging area can be fully read.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chafik Badache
msg tools
Quests are open to everyone and fully readable.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noki Hola
Sweden
Hallsberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
The ones in the staging area can be fully read.

So I guess wasteland- city- or added encounter cards in the decks doesnt move faction tokens as they are not the final card in a quest line (which in turn is staged and fully readable?

Seems right.

Thank you for helping.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even for some quests its unclear if an objective supports one faction or the other if it doesnt show any faction symbols, just read the flavour text to get an idea of what a given faction would do in that case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
Even for some quests its unclear if an objective supports one faction or the other if it doesnt show any faction symbols, just read the flavour text to get an idea of what a given faction would do in that case.


What?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:
Even for some quests its unclear if an objective supports one faction or the other if it doesnt show any faction symbols, just read the flavour text to get an idea of what a given faction would do in that case.


What?


There are some quests in the commonwealth scenario that do not indicate which option supports which faction; no faction power is gained when completed so that isnt an indication either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:
Even for some quests its unclear if an objective supports one faction or the other if it doesnt show any faction symbols, just read the flavour text to get an idea of what a given faction would do in that case.


What?


There are some quests in the commonwealth scenario that do not indicate which option supports which faction; no faction power is gained when completed so that isnt an indication either.


I'm really confused by what you're trying to say. Inherently, quests do not support any faction. The only thing they can really do in support of factions is advance their power marker. So if a quest didn't advance a power marker, it doesn't really "support" either faction. I'm not really sure what more it is you're looking for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What i mean is that for some quests it doesnt say which option belongs to which faction so you can choose according to the faction you are focusing on
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I'm really confused by what you're trying to say. Inherently, quests do not support any faction. The only thing they can really do in support of factions is advance their power marker. So if a quest didn't advance a power marker, it doesn't really "support" either faction. I'm not really sure what more it is you're looking for.

In addition to directly increasing the faction's marker like you describe, the other thing that they do is to open up different following quests. Some of those following quests benefit one faction more than the other. So I think Angelus is saying that it would be nice to know whether the quest I'm about to complete is one that thematically benefits my faction of choice, thus opening up a more beneficial following quest for that faction. Without the obvious token advancement, you have to use the narrative to try to figure out which option might be the best way to open up better/easier options for the following quest line.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
I'm really confused by what you're trying to say. Inherently, quests do not support any faction. The only thing they can really do in support of factions is advance their power marker. So if a quest didn't advance a power marker, it doesn't really "support" either faction. I'm not really sure what more it is you're looking for.

In addition to directly increasing the faction's marker like you describe, the other thing that they do is to open up different following quests. Some of those following quests benefit one faction more than the other. So I think Angelus is saying that it would be nice to know whether the quest I'm about to complete is one that thematically benefits my faction of choice, thus opening up a more beneficial following quest for that faction. Without the obvious token advancement, you have to use the narrative to try to figure out which option might be the best way to open up better/easier options for the following quest line.


I'm pretty certain though (though I may be wrong) that the "main quest line" is linear. i.e, the quest that the scenario card stages advances the power of the factions, and completing that quest will spawn another quest that advances the power of the factions, and so on. None of the quests that *don't* advance faction power will ever lead to a quest that does advance faction power, as far as I'm aware.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yeah that may be the case. I've not played all of the scenarios yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I'm pretty certain though (though I may be wrong) that the "main quest line" is linear. i.e, the quest that the scenario card stages advances the power of the factions, and completing that quest will spawn another quest that advances the power of the factions, and so on. None of the quests that *don't* advance faction power will ever lead to a quest that does advance faction power, as far as I'm aware.

I looked through all the Commonwealth quests for another thread and this is true. The main quest spawns some side quests, but none of these side quests affected the faction advancement.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this is something for them to explore in an expansion. After they, you know, fix the agenda problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Herold
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope not. I think it makes sense only to have that one main scenario quest support the faction advancement. Having two could very easily skew the "race", since two players could push for huge leaps while pursuing separate objective cards. This would leave the other players at a severe disadvantage.

The way I see it right now, the sidequests add flavor and rewards to the game - giving them more purpose and influence would lessen the experience. I think they work fine by often awarding agenda cards, which allows the game to advance in another way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.