Benjamin Benson
United States
Dublin
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone modified the retail boxes your came comes in or made your own? Some of the boxes, especially the "Big Box" games from Queen Games are WAY bigger than they need to be. Has anyone modified these boxes in a way you were happy with or created an alternate box for the game?

Look at how much dead space there is in the Cable Car box. This is ridiculous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have thought about it, but I'm pretty sure that the result would be aesthetically awful. A more likely solution would be to scan the box, modify as needed, print and apply to an empty expansion box. I have been thinking of doing that with The Ancient World (standard square box, but the components would fit in a Carcassonne-size box), but I would have to fold the rulebook or store it elsewhere.

For the record, I avoid buying games from Queen because of the stupid box size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Dublin
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not a bad idea, about scanning the box images and applying them to a different box. I may look into that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out these posts/threads:
Incredible Shrinking Games, or How to Remove Dead Air
Empty Spaces
My Custom Box Project
I've done some "box shrinking" myself (as shown in response to one of the blog posts above):Comment

If you're interested in building square origami boxes, start with the length or width (same since it will be a square) of the box you want to build, and multiply that number by 2.8235294118 to get the dimensions of the sheet you need to start with. You need two squares--one for the base, and one for the lid. If you're working with inches, increase the starting dimension by 1/4 inch for one of your squares so that you create a lid that will be slightly larger than the base, and slide over it smoothly but snugly.
In case you didn't click the "comment" link above, here are some of of my custom origami game boxes:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.