5 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Variants

Subject: Personal Reputation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our campaign is running more than four characters and players in the party, and depending on what characters are working together, the decisions on road events, city events and what scenarios to play vary wildly between group configurations.

I've been considering assigning the reputation modifications to the characters involved in the decisions/scenario. It won't change shopping for individual players. Other reputation based effects would be resolved using the average reputation of the active characters or the global average, depending on situation. New characters would start with either the average level of the active party or the global reputation (not sure on which one to go for, yet).

Do you see any glaring issues playing the variant would encounter? How would you handle sun and moon unlock?

My thought would be that they unlock when a single character hits the trigger, and the party may never make decisions that could lead to them losing/gaining reputation, if the unlocked character is in the active party (depending on which char it is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. I dont feel its that thematic as the masses are more likely, IMO, to lump any individual in with the whole in how they feel about your party. The only issues I see off hand is that it makes the reputation unlocks a lot easier. This could be offset some by the extra bookkeeping you'll have to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meziemer wrote:
...I dont feel its that thematic as the masses are more likely, IMO, to lump any individual in with the whole in how they feel about your party...

Are you sure about that? I'm not that far in, but we've had a few encounters where the masses reacted to specific characters being in the party. I agree that it would be an argument against personal rep, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
meziemer wrote:
...I dont feel its that thematic as the masses are more likely, IMO, to lump any individual in with the whole in how they feel about your party...

Are you sure about that? I'm not that far in, but we've had a few encounters where the masses reacted to specific characters being in the party. I agree that it would be an argument against personal rep, though.

It could certainly have a part. Think of the party being a baseball team - not every member is out there, but the team itself has its own "brand". That is your party's reputation.

For your idea to work, you could try this - Have some characters influence the group's rep depending if they are in the party or not. For example, there could be a character in your group that particiapted in a not-so-nice action, which causes your party's rep to take a -1 or -2 hit while he is with it. The reverse is also true - some gallant member may dramatically increase the party's rep - but only if he is present. Essentially, the heroes and villains of a team!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saint1012 wrote:
..., you could try this - Have some characters influence the group's rep depending if they are in the party or not. For example, there could be a character in your group that particiapted in a not-so-nice action, which causes your party's rep to take a -1 or -2 hit while he is with it...

Isn't that more or less what we're doing? When the reputation is checked in an encounter, it considers the group's average reputation.

That aside, we've been playing this variant for quite a few sessions now, and it works pretty nicely. We chucked the global reputation out of the window to use the current group's average rep, though. Less book keeping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.