Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: The game that keeps on giving... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
j biscoe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that conversations about Cthulhu Wars often circle the question: "Is it worth paying so much for?"
I will unapologetically say that it absolutely is. There are plenty of other threads that very capably serve to explore that question in a more nuanced & considered fashion, and that isn't my goal here anyway. I was struck by the realization that Cthulhu Wars is one of the most generous games I can think of. There is SO MUCH content that exists to enrich this game. I was bewitched by it in much the same way that I imagine others are- I am a lifelong Lovecraft aficionado, and the minis caught my eye. I bought the core set a few years ago on amazon, & then went all in for the rest of it in onslaught 2. This is a game that staggers me with the overwhelming number of options & ways to keep it variable & fresh. I believe that I'll be playing it for the rest of my life, and even then probably won't have given all of the expansions the attention they deserve. So, that's what I mean when I say I find it "generous." Cthulhu Wars will be repaying my investment in it for years to come.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree. I am looking forward to Glorantha: The Gods War
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j biscoe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too! And Onslaught 3!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely my most played game. Well worth my money!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah for me as well. My game group tends to play a lot of new games buy I'm actually able to bring this to the table over and over again.

I'd love to play it more than I do but happy that it sees as much action as it does.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Mallow
msg tools
42!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrook29 wrote:
I agree. I am looking forward to Glorantha: The Gods War


I was almost an all-in but my car broke 2 days before the PM closed and now I have no GW coming, but with OS3 I have all factions for CW!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
jbisc wrote:
I know that conversations about Cthulhu Wars often circle the question: "Is it worth paying so much for?"
I will unapologetically say that it absolutely is.


While I kind of agree with you - it certainly is one of our most played games, so we got value out of it no question, and myself and the kids love the models - I would add the following truism....

Would the game be "better" if it were less over-produced, had much smaller models and board, and was half the price or less? DEFINATELY YES. For me at least.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j biscoe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
jbisc wrote:
I know that conversations about Cthulhu Wars often circle the question: "Is it worth paying so much for?"
I will unapologetically say that it absolutely is.


While I kind of agree with you - it certainly is one of our most played games, so we got value out of it no question, and myself and the kids love the models - I would add the following truism....

Would the game be "better" if it were less over-produced, had much smaller models and board, and was half the price or less? DEFINATELY YES. For me at least.



I know this is an indefensible, absurd position, but I think that, for me, I wouldn't have it any other way than opulently produced. Of course, it'd be nice to have spent considerably less money on it, but no one was twisting my arm to shell out that much cash either, and so far I have not had occasion to regret it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
jbisc wrote:
GaryB wrote:
jbisc wrote:
I know that conversations about Cthulhu Wars often circle the question: "Is it worth paying so much for?"
I will unapologetically say that it absolutely is.


While I kind of agree with you - it certainly is one of our most played games, so we got value out of it no question, and myself and the kids love the models - I would add the following truism....

Would the game be "better" if it were less over-produced, had much smaller models and board, and was half the price or less? DEFINATELY YES. For me at least.



I know this is an indefensible, absurd position, but I think that, for me, I wouldn't have it any other way than opulently produced. Of course, it'd be nice to have spent considerably less money on it, but no one was twisting my arm to shell out that much cash either, and so far I have not had occasion to regret it.


Oh it isn't the cost that makes me wish for an under-produced version! Personally I find the models too big for the board, and thus cause great clutter in the end game; making the immediate assessment of where everything actually is rather difficult. We have often had to resort to stacking entire armies off the board because there was simply no room for them.....and I *HATE* that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hobbit
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GaryB wrote:

Oh it isn't the cost that makes me wish for an under-produced version! Personally I find the models too big for the board, and thus cause great clutter in the end game; making the immediate assessment of where everything actually is rather difficult. We have often had to resort to stacking entire armies off the board because there was simply no room for them.....and I *HATE* that.


That´s just the game telling you in a very sensible way: "To start the KILLING earlier!"
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jbisc wrote:
I believe that I'll be playing it for the rest of my life, and even then probably won't have given all of the expansions the attention they deserve.


Same. Catch me in 40 years and I'll be in the common room of the old folks home, board ready to go, roping anyone within earshot into playing with me. Including other people's visiting families.

Y'know, assuming the stars don't become right before then.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j biscoe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcex wrote:
GaryB wrote:

Oh it isn't the cost that makes me wish for an under-produced version! Personally I find the models too big for the board, and thus cause great clutter in the end game; making the immediate assessment of where everything actually is rather difficult. We have often had to resort to stacking entire armies off the board because there was simply no room for them.....and I *HATE* that.


That´s just the game telling you in a very sensible way: "To start the KILLING earlier!"



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.