Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Ovcen
United States
Boynton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game alone and I wasn’t sure if the cards are supposed to not be in numerical order? I just wondered if it breaks the feel of the game if you order them before playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They should be in the order shown in the lower corner on the back of the card.

They are not sequential based on the large numbers. This helps the player not memorize all the 'valid' numbers that might shortcut solving a clue by using brute force instead, as well as not short-cutting the clock by easy look-up of any target number. Plus, not all the cards in all Unlock games have numbers, some have letters and/or are color coded.

I sort my cards back together by those little numbers so my friends can have the same experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We generally sort them out while on the clock. I believe the collation numbers (the tiny "1/100" or whatever in one corner of the card) were in order the one time I checked, suggesting that the weird random order they come in is the same for everybody's copy, and having them start in that order is part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Ovcen
United States
Boynton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I understand. Thanks for the replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that looking through the stack to find a particular card is very tedious and the least enjoyable part of the game. So, I completely understand people who sort them at the beginning of the game. I personally don't bother sorting and instead I just spread all cards face down on the table in the same order as it was in the deck. This simplifies the process of looking through the stack because now I can do it visually rather than manually. I never had a problem with unintentionally solving anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
The only issue with that is it's specifically not allowed per the rules. No spreading all the cards out on the table.

Of course, if that's what makes the game playable/enjoyable - do your thing. It's a game, after all. Fun is key.

We typically divide the deck in half and have 2 people search whenever a number is called out to make it less of a time sink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.