Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just browsing through my profile and looking for ways to spend my GG. And lo and behold, the option to buy "ads be gone" card was there. And then I wondered: everytime I get on BGG, I see these ads on top and to the right. 99% of the time, they're advertising board games, new releases or KS campaigns. Several times they've saved my ass, because I forgot about KS coming to an end or something like that.

I mean, this is one of very few places, where:
- I actually look on the ads
- I actually *click* on the ads
- I don't mind them being around
- I wouldn't want to get rid of them, as they fulfill a useful function

Yay BGG and well-targeted ads, I guess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly feel the same way, BGG's ads are very relevant. What sometimes annoys me is when I see the same ad again and again and it's some kind of terrible artwork for a game that looks awful- but if I hid all the ads I'd miss out on stuff too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Because some of us have a very, very different view of advertising and all that goes with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Why would anyone want to buy the ad-free package?

Some folks are doing the best we can with modest computers and modest internet service, and like to do anything we can to speed up and improve our access.

That's also the reason that my BGG bookmark jumps straight into one of my personal pages and bypasses the front page. But I'm almost never on BGG to shop for new games, or to learn about the newest games and follow the latest news, so passing the front page and paying a little extra to avoid ads works for me where someone else might be missing out on something they don't want to miss.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Because some of us have a very, very different view of advertising and all that goes with it.

Different than what?

Gambiteer wrote:

Some folks are doing the best we can with modest computers and modest internet service, and like to do anything we can to speed up and improve our access.

Interesting. While I can understand the need for better access, I find it very dubious that any ads here on BGG can cause any slowdowns or amount to significant bandwidth usage that would make any visible difference. I know the old habits die hard, but we are past the Flash era for quite some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
I gather my own information about Kickstarters, upcoming releases, and other games I might be interested from media (GeekLists, reviewers, blogs, podcasts, other BGG user contributions) that I actively choose to seek out and follow. With that approach, I personally gain nothing from random ad campaigns being waved in front of my face.

I have criteria and standards for games I'm interested in, which ads know nothing about. I plan my purchases, often over long periods of time, whereas ads aim for impulse clicks/buys/pledges.

That said, I can see how a different kind of user might gain some benefits as the original post indicates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I had ads for most of this year. My experience is that BGG pretty regularly accepts questionable ad content (either eyesores or outright offensive ads). I turned on my ad block when I donated to the end of year drive and I don't expect I'll miss the ads at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I just see it is visual pollution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the times an ad catches my eye, its only as I'm clicking to a sub-page.

"Wait, what was that?"

(clicks back button, page reloads, different ad for junk loads)

"...that's not it..."

(reloads page, same junk ad pops up)

"Nuts!"

(reloads page, same junk ad pops up)

"Ah to hell with it, probably wasn't worth getting anyway."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mbmb
I don't like the ads. I rarely buy games anymore with kids moved out. I'm mostly here for the social aspects of bgg. More room on the screen to see what I'm here for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am like you and often find some of the ads useful so I don't bother with the ad-block.

However, I do most of my browsing from the main page, and on mobile, I find the side ads are EXTREMELY annoying. It is stupid how close they are to the ">>" button, and with they way phones work, you can zoom in to have the ad off screen and still have it read as a tap on the ad rather than the forward button. I can be flipping through pages of threads, accidentally hit an ad, have to click back to get back to BGG, and then start from the first page of threads again. Some ads open a new tab which is less annoying (like Amazon) since it doesn't take me away from the page, but most don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Marketing in general annoys me, and I assume that a high proportion here is for Kickstarters (in which I never have and never will participate). If I had to see the ads, I'd stop coming here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy being able to select the ads I want and the ads I certainly don't.

For example, I pledge every January 1, so I turn off the pledge drive banner and most everything, but I love seeing the BGG Store ads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
While I can understand the need for better access, I find it very dubious that any ads here on BGG can cause any slowdowns or amount to significant bandwidth usage that would make any visible difference.

I'm not on BGG to quarrel, but before I go, I will say that I find it odd that you ask a question and then disparage an honest answer when you have NO idea what kind of computer setup I'm on, or what access speed I get from my provider in the small Southern city where I live.

I'm guessing you typed that while sitting at a machine that is much newer, faster, and more powerful than the nearly 15 year old laptop I'm on now, which I feel very blessed and fortunate to own, having found it for $15 in a thrift store last year. This little computer struggles sometimes with BGG pages, but it's a lot better than what I was using before, and thankfully BGG is a lot better than many sites that have ads which are hostile and aggressive in seizing control of the page view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would I want to see garbage ads that slow down my page loading? I want to see what I want, not ads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
rattkin wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

Different than what?

Different to the view you espoused in your OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used the ad block here for ages but keep the top banner ad on only. Since so many of the ads are relevant to things I want to check out, but I find the top one the least intrusive on the page formatting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
The ads force the page layout into a format I find acceptable. This has been the case since the time they were introduced, and that goes back a very long way. So I leave them on, all the time, and ignore them for the most part.

It also provides free news as to what people are interested in these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
99% of the time, they're advertising board games, new releases or KS campaigns. Several times they've saved my ass, because I forgot about KS coming to an end or something like that.

I mean, this is one of very few places, where:
- I actually look on the ads
- I actually *click* on the ads
- I don't mind them being around
- I wouldn't want to get rid of them, as they fulfill a useful function

Yay BGG and well-targeted ads, I guess?

I don't like looking at ads usually.
I almost never click on ads.
I don't like ads being around.
They are not useful for me.

I'm not much into typical "cult of the new" Kickstarter games. The few times I see BGG ads, they are very rarely for games I want to buy.

More generally, internet ads introduce a variety of privacy/tracking and security/spyware/virus/etc risks. Sometimes internet ads activate films or sound, or slow down or freeze or lock up my browser. I see no reason to trust internet advertisers' honesty (and technical competence). And ads simply consume more bandwidth and memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

I'm not on BGG to quarrel, but before I go, I will say that I find it odd that you ask a question and then disparage an honest answer when you have NO idea what kind of computer setup I'm on, or what access speed I get from my provider in the small Southern city where I live.

That was not my intention at all. If you read it carefully, I'm not investigating what hardware you're on, I'm only expressing a doubt about current-technology ads adding any significant overhead to cpu processing or bandwidth overhead. If there's anything that would cause trouble to your old laptop, that would be the rewritten part of BGG, where Angular is used. That technology wasn't optimized at that time (the version BGG used) and requires a lot from browsers (and I do love Angular).

To give you a scale, front BGG page requires about 2.5mb to load. Most static ads are about 20-30kB and are displayed as image and link, without any additional javascript processing overhead. That's less than 1% of the page. Animated gifs, which, granted, happen here sometimes, are about 100kB, which is about 4%. I'm not saying to defend ads or anything, but to paint some background. And no, ads don't consume memory, they're loaded from disk after all. If anything, only a screen/gpu memory for drawing.

--

I didn't know I have to directly express, that my post is, after all, a bit of tongue-in-cheek type of a post. I accept that different people are different needs and aren't me. But my main goal was to acknowledge the fact, that ads on BGG *feel* right for those who can stand them. I think it's rare and deserves some praise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:

Interesting. While I can understand the need for better access, I find it very dubious that any ads here on BGG can cause any slowdowns or amount to significant bandwidth usage that would make any visible difference. I know the old habits die hard, but we are past the Flash era for quite some time.

Well, about 20% of the time, I access BGG through my phone and it takes awhile to load the BGG front page with all its ads and doodads. I don't usually have this issue with other mobile sites.

Not an issue for me, given how infrequently I use mobile data links, but many smartphone users have metered data plans so having web pages packed with stuff will impact their data usage. And during busy times (pretty much most of the day), mobile data download rates can be quite slow, at least it is for my carrier.

Also, given the smaller screen I'm using some of the time, ads, especially large banner ads, can affect usability on mobile devices. I don't how many times I've tapped on my geekmail link, only to be sent to a KickStarter page because the BGG front page had not finished loading.

Otherwise, I don't usually mind most ads on BGG and have less usability annoyances/complaints when I access the site through my notebook with wifi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mobile.

On my (older) iPhone, BGG loads. Then it disappears while it loads an ad. Then it reappears. Then it disappears while it loads a google ad. Finally it reappears. And it's probably not the page I wanted, so I have to do it all again. Every time I click something.

It doesn't do any of that with ad block.

I don't mind the ads at all, when I'm on a desktop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not interested in the ads and I block them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I block adds and is one of the things I love most about getting GG with the drive every years. I immediately spend it to block ads for another year.

In general I hate advertising of every kind. It is intentionally manipulating people and I don't like it. I understand why it exists, but I avoid where I can. I think most people are fairly well trained to ignore ads especially on the internet, but I find them distracting and annoying. I won't claim that I have never clicked on an ad, but it is extremely rare.

I really don't like Facebooks ad practices of making them seem as if a friend has recommended it. Bob likes Target and then it shows up in my feed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Fotland
Taiwan
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Meow
mbmbmbmbmb
I hide the ads simply to stop myself from buying too many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.